Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't see a thing wrong with your plan. You seem to have a plan of attack set toward your goal so go for it. You have plenty of time between now and then to adjust as you go along. What you think in size of the moho now may change to something larger down the road. Good Luck and hope all works out.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
Do it, but dont wait till you retire from something else. Something always comes up and you have to delay and delay till you are waiting on the retirement check. Chheck into workcamping. Has enabled many to do it. Good Luck to you.

fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
Thank you EVERYONE!

Even the people suggesting I don't know whether or not I want kids It's a personal decision and I've known since I was a little girl, but it always amazes me how many people are unable to accept that some people just don't want children. I've got 18 nieces and nephews and I'm infertile - trust me, I'm not having kids. I might eventually foster down the road or host foreign exchange students, but that's years down the line!

On a lighter note, I am totally willing to get certificates, learn a trade, and work towards getting decent employment. However, I would never want to base my figures off something that's not guaranteed. It's a very cautionary part of me that I can't seem to tackle. I don't feel comfortable planning for higher income because I might not get it.

I think another issue is that we currently live in Oklahoma, which has an insanely low cost of living. I pay $400 for rent and it's really, really hard for me to fathom paying anything more than that (campground fees). I really need to wise up in that regard - because the rest of the country is not so cheap!

Thanks again guys, I'm still pouring over your responses and taking it all in
Beatrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
First I would like to apologize for my comment regarding children, that is definitely a personal issue and I should not have made the comment.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned that there are alot of people who go to the Arizona desert and dry camp for the winter for a fee of around $ 150 or so for six months. They have trucks that come around to empty the holding tanks and fill the fresh tanks. People out there are very imaginative with solar panels, portable generators etc. There are also free areas but you have to move every 14 days.

Follow your dream and don't listen to the ones like me that tell you to wait till retirement Nobody knows how long they have left.....

good luck
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I happen to be living my dream NOW but sure wished that I was your age when it started.

I love the RV lifestyle but for me it isn't a cheap one. I decided that I wanted to be comfortable while living full-time in my coach. I haven't regretted it even for one nano-second having bought my coach 10 years ago and moved right in.

When you sit down to plan out a budget, there are plenty of items that get overlooked so it's best to try and think of EVERYTHING that you will need to allot expenses towards.

A few that come to mind that are important ones are: repairs and maintenance on both the RV and your daily vehicle. Insurances-(health, auto, RV, etc.), fuel, food, health expenses, entertainment, site rentals (daily, weekly or monthly) and in some cases electric.

I would recommend joining the Workampers News as that's where I receive daily emails of jobs all over the country. I pick and choose which ones that appeal to me. I happen to be a life member now but joined many years ago as a yearly member while still working at my career. I wanted to get a "feel" of what the jobs were like.

Then you also need to think about where you call HOME for your driver's licences, vehicle registrations, mail, etc.

There are many other things to think about but this will add to your list.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
You have a wonderful dream, good luck and happy trails.....
Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
Red face

you didn't post if you already have a vehicle of sorts, I was only wondering, why MH? many people live full time in TT's, or 5vers.

after that, I say GO FOR IT! It's admirable that you know what and where and why you want to do what you want, at your age!

dreams are wonderful, and you have knowledge at your fingertips, that we didn't have at your age. Internet!

as for a tow vehicle if you do go MH? well, I recommend a motorcycle, pulled in an enclosed trailer. (what do I know). I just think bikes are certainly full efficent, the enclosed trailer gives you some extra storage space, within reason. and who doesn't love motorcycles?
if you go TT, just make sure your tow vehicle can handle it, do NOT listen to what the listed weight is, and do NOT listen to the guy selling you the TT. ask that question HERE. for ME, right now, I wouldn't want to live in the home I drive. but that's me, and after reading many posts on here, I think if I were to travel in golden years, it is indeed a MH that I'd consider. but you guys are young.

when you haven't any other choice for income, there's always working in a campground in exchange for free sites.

this is a great lifestyle! go check out and BEST of luck to you!!

Ricky T's ( aka Rick & Theresa )
momto6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
I will not join the naysayers on this. I have 2 sons (22 and 25) both with degrees and both working low paying jobs. It is not like it was when I (and many on this forun) was a young person starting out. We were told get an education, work hard and it will all be good. That is not the same for young people today. An education means student loans for most and very little promise that you will be able to pay them back in a reasonable time.

If I were young today and had this dream that you have, I would continue to work my plan and as soon as possible, I would hit the road. There are workamping jobs that you can get. Some people work for Amazon during the Christmas rush and live off what they made on that. Gate gaurds in Texas get $100/day and very little chance to spend much. Your plan is workable, so go for it.
Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
GeorgeTown - Please don't apologize! My comment probably came off more snarky than I intended. I wasn't upset - it just gets exhausting trying to defend it. I appreciate what you said. I have spent most of my adult life contemplating whether or not to wait until retirement to do what I want to do, it's a very important and difficult choice to make. Mostly, I'm afraid that I'll never be able to retire or will kick the bucket before I get there!

Dr4Film - Thank you for the resource! I love the possibility of workamping! How neat. It looks like some pay a base hourly rate PLUS a free campsite. That's perfect. This is something I'll definitely look into. Also thanks for the heads up about the expenses. Maintenance scares me, I'll be honest. I wonder if I can take a course on RV repair and maintenance? Online or otherwise.

momto6ix - Thanks for the great advice! I am completely open to different camper styles, as well as larger camper styles. Ideally, a bus seems like the coolest way to go. I would perfer the layout of a 5th wheel but the hitching and the leveling and the stabilizing seems overwhelming - but that's something I've gotta get over, huh?

We have two cars between us, a '04 Civic and an '08 PT Cruiser. Both aren't worth the cost of registration, have major issues and cost us out the wazoo. I'm completely under water w/ the Cruiser, or else I'd try to sell it/trade it. Unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to get what I owe for it. Maybe once I pay it down some I can look into that. Ideally, we'd sell/trade both of our vehicles and get something extremely fuel efficient.

halfwright - Thank you for understanding. I hate to complain about it, it seems like liberal lip service, but I really do feel like my generation is trapped in a horrible cycle. Work for 50 years and hope to God you have enough saved to retire. It's hard to do when you're making $10/hr and have thousands in debt from when you had to live off credit cards or raked up student loans. At my job now, which does not require a degree, I work with many people who DO have degrees (one even Masters!!!) because they can't find work elsewhere. Of course there are plenty of people who are successful and pay back their education many times over w/ their degree but I don't want to waste my time and money just to risk maybe being one of them.

I'm a simple person with simple goals and I want a simple life My boyfriend on the other hand.. well, he may be the death of me. Kidding!! He's just very technology-driven. He wants us to have high-tech gadgets and constant internet connection, whereas I could park it in the middle of nowhere and be content with living "off the grid". I'm fine compromising on this, as I obviously don't MIND the creature comforts, but it will certainly affect the cost of our lifestyle.

Y'all are really making me want to do this sooner than later. We are going to reevaluate our budget soon and see what we can cut and how much more we can start saving to get us out the door faster.

Thanks to everyone!! Keep it comin'
Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are exactly in the right time of life to do something like this. Right now you have time and the more you wait the less of it you will have. Things do change. People who have said "well I will never (fill in the blank)" often wind up doing just that for very good presently unthought of reasons.

Almost impossible to do this with debt so with that one exception I would say the sooner the better. You will be changed by this experience to who knows what frame of mind. You will need time to live the life after.

College degree, never discount it but the percentage of people with BA's in the USA is about 30% and that is a record. So 70% are without; and they are not necessarily the poorest. It is not a guarantor of high income, but your personal drive, creativity and ambition can be. Bill Gates founder of Microsoft did not get his degree.

But never discount it, or disrespect it having an income does not have to be the final outcome of an education. Knowledge is good, acquire it and you will be better off regardless.

Make sure you tell us how you are doing in the future.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
Where are you living now? Are you paying rent?? If so, how about finding an older RV or trailer and finding a local "workkamping" type opportunity where you perform some labor in return for a place to park your home and possibly utilities. Kind of like a dry run for hitting the road.

That gives you time to fix up your home and learn about it's limitations.

You mentioned about working in "certain cities" . . . could you work up north in the summer and down south in the winter. Doing so, may enable yo to get by with a scooter or bike and public transportation instead of a car. The other option would be going with a travel trailer instead of a motorhome, once you're set up the tow vehicle can be unhitched and you have wheels.

I'll also come down on the do it sooner rather than later . . . tomorrow isn't guaranteed to anyone, even the young!
1991 32' Winnebago Itasca
bought used in 2009 - our first
Ken-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #26
If I might get nosy... Did you say you grew up camping in a 5er, which also towed a car behind it? Is that even legal? Just curious, and wanted to know if I read it right.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #27
Beatrice, I say go for it. My family lived in a travel trailer for a few years when I was growing up because that worked for us, I have no qualms about hitting the road, I did the same when I was in my 20's, only I did it in an old car. Ended up going international and now I am back in the US with a family in tow.

And while we are apartment living, we did use our savings to get a 27 foot motorhome. To me it represents freedom. When we head down south in January, we will stay in it a few months until we find an ideal new place to rent and then back in storage it goes or maybe not. Oops, this isn't about this, it's about you.

I'd say go for something in the 25+ foot range. We got a pretty nice 1991 27 foot class c motorhome for 6000. We went with a motorhome because we already have a nice small newish economy car. Also our plans include driving the motorhome to a destination and staying put for an indeterminate time. For us this precludes going with a a truck+trailer combo. The daily driving with a truck would cost an arm and a leg compared to the car.

You mention going with a motorcycle, moped or just bikes for transportation. I think that's a great idea. If I didn't have my car and just the motorhome, I would do the same. Bikes give you about a 5 to 10 mile radius for shopping or working and cost nothing to run. Add a bicycle trailer and you can do your grocery shopping pretty easily. Mopeds or small motorcycles can extend that range out further with minimal costs.

About working: if you follow the jobs, you can make money. For example, where I am in North Dakota, jobs are paying $12 to $15 an hour and you can get on right away with overtime. I don't suggest being up here in the winter, but come Spring its not a bad place to be for 2 to 4 months and two people(boondocking/cheap rv parking) could save more than $10K. That could buy a lot of gas for traveling.
ripsigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
If I might get nosy... Did you say you grew up camping in a 5er, which also towed a car behind it? Is that even legal? Just curious, and wanted to know if I read it right.
Yup. You read it right. We towed w/ a Dodge Ram dually, had the 5er and towed a Geo Tracker. Before the Tracker we had another car, some sort of convertible that I don't recall the make/model of. No clue about the legality of it, all I know is that we'd constantly get comments on the length of our little train whenever we stopped. Getting into campsites was always intense!

Ken-55 - Living in an apartment, just re-signed out lease Yes to paying rent, albeit cheap rent. It is possible that we could do what you mentioned. We will need to save up to buy the trailer, of course. I am really hoping to find an older used one that is in great mechanical shape. I couldn't care less about interior, so long as there aren't any leaks.

ripsigg - Oh, I like the sound of your whole post! Even the bits about you! Haha. What an awesome story - We'd LOVE to go international eventually! I hope you have many more adventures - thanks for all the advice!