Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
How fast do winds have to get to threaten a parked RV?

I'd been planning to go to Chesapeake, VA but now I see there Tropical Storm Arthur may go through while I'm there (Thurs-Fri). Our 31-foot motorhome can handle the rain, but what about wind? At what point do I have to be concerned about high winds when my RV will be parked and fairly close to a two-story house? I'm kinda new to RVing and am wondering if I should go ahead or hold back for a couple of days. In the meantime, I'm watching the weather forecasts.

VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holding back for a couple of days sounds like the prudent thing to do. These things can go from tropical ( which is no picnic ) to worse in short order.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Holding back for a couple of days sounds like the prudent thing to do. These things can go from tropical ( which is no picnic ) to worse in short order.
X2. don't want to be in an area that might come under an evacuation order.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that holding off a few days would make sense.

While set up in a CG, I've had wind problems cause damage. Wind gusts exceeded 50 mph and my slide topper ballooned out like a parachute. Had to have mobile RV techs come to fix it next morning.

Since then, I'll bring in the big slides if winds that high are forecast.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

We have sat through tropical storms on the beach at Myrtle Beach before in our 31 foot trailer. We where ready to leave if it got upgrated to hurricane status but it did not. I would not worry as long as it stays a tropical storm.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCrew View Post
We have sat through tropical storms on the beach at Myrtle Beach before in our 31 foot trailer. We where ready to leave if it got upgrated to hurricane status but it did not. I would not worry as long as it stays a tropical storm.
Sorry, but I disagree with that. As a permanent resident in the "Gulf Coast Cone of Uncertainty" I know that a tropical storm can be very serious with winds from 39-73 MPH.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
I'd been planning to go to Chesapeake, VA but now I see there Tropical Storm Arthur may go through while I'm there (Thurs-Fri). Our 31-foot motorhome can handle the rain, but what about wind? At what point do I have to be concerned about high winds when my RV will be parked and fairly close to a two-story house? I'm kinda new to RVing and am wondering if I should go ahead or hold back for a couple of days. In the meantime, I'm watching the weather forecasts.
I wouldn't worry about it if it is a tropical storm.
I would grab 2 Pinacolada's one for each hand. Set sail with Captain Morgan and enjoy yourself! You know the rest!
Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #8

I agree with Sarah. Superstorm Sandy two yrs ago didn't even make it to a category one hurricane, and look at the damage from that. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #9

What you don't want to do is wait too long to move out. As someone who deals in the aftermath of severe storms I see the disasters that people have to go through because they waited a hair too long and the traffic was so bad they couldn't evacuate when they wanted to.

It's far better to say "I evacuated and didn't need to", then to say "boy I wish I had heeded the warnings sooner".
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #10

Speaking of Sandy, I was 150 miles from home with my MH when the storm came in. To get home, I had to cross a major bridge on the Hudson river. As I was starting for home the radio announced that the bridges might be closed to larger vehicles. I would have been stuck if they had. Just something to consider as far as evacuation.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #11

As someone that's been through more than my share of 'tropical storms', my vote is to stand pat...makes no sense(to me) to knowingly go into an area there a known TS is (more than likely) going to be and it's strength has yet to be determined.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #12

All have good advice. But avoid the area because you will be in harms way and do not have to. You may be under a tornado threat or not, but you may see a tornado. The electric may go out no traffic lights and lots of traffic. Who ever you are going to see will be worried about their own property and have no time for you. If the storm follows it's path, but 50 - 100 miles off the path it may wonder and you will be in the middle of things. 47 years in South Florida and I now live in NC mountains because I made the choice to get out of the way. Good Luck, God Bless
Old 07-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #13

By the way, if you can stay with the front pointing into the wind 60-70 mph will be no problem but if they hit you broadside you need to read your insurance policy.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sat through 85 mph winds last night here in Indiana where there were severe thunderstorms. If you are faced with high winds where you are parked be prepared. Levelers down, slides in, awning secured, loose gear stowed and alternate power ready? Don't go if you know, evacuate if you can or prepare if you can't. Boy scouts say be prepared & Coast Guard says Semper Paratus ( always ready ) however you say it Be Ready.