RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 AM   #29
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I would say you're quite valued here Don. I've been here a little while, and learned from your posts and mods. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.

I love to talk "shop", and would enjoy conversing everything motorcoach one day in person if our paths crossed somewhere in this great land.

Keep on teaching Don, we be listening.

Regards,
W.D.

Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
We're still new to this, but got my first chance to help yesterday. Our neighbor here in Fort Pickens was having trouble getting his Samsung phone connected to his dash stereo. Just took a few minutes, and he's really happy he can talk hands free now!

marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #31

While camping in Booth Bay, ME, a couple and CG staff got their new 5er situated on the season site. Later, he came over and asked if I knew how to get cable TV working. I knew the antenna booster was on but it took a while to locate it buried behind the large TV where it was barely accessible. They asked me to bring DW over, we had drinks and they are now friends we look forward to seeing when we travel to Maine.
On the other hand, I had a fellow camper help me move my pin box up 2 holes to get level with my new truck.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #32

A couple of years ago our neighbors wife had fell and gashed her leg really bad on a steel post sticking up about 6 inches out of the ground. I grabbed the first aid kit and my buddy headed over that way. We performed first aid and got the bleeding stopped. They had 3 kids and the adults had been drinking so my buddy drove them to the hospital and my wife and I watched their kids. They returned 3 hours later and 67 stiches later.

Always know where the nearest ER is located, you may need it.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #33

I was dry camping at a small airport just inside the Canadian border. As usual I was up and enjoying a coffee outside at zero dark thirty when a motorhome slowed coming down the highway out front and turned up the driveway, the driver got out to ask if boondocking was an option there, they'd driven most of the night to make it home so the DW could see a dear old aunt who had basically raised his DW and was now dying. She'd slept all night while he drove, he was out of steam and needed to rack out.

I asked where they were heading for, it was about a 5 hours drive away. That's about a 1.5 hour trip by plane.

I offered for him to pull in next to my rig, rack out and I'd fly the DW home.

In 5 minutes we were airborne and a family member met us at another airport near their home. The DW got a little over an hour with her before she passed.

You can't put a price on stuff like that, it makes all the money I 'waste' on flying more than worth it to me.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #34

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I was dry camping at a small airport just inside the Canadian border. As usual I was up and enjoying a coffee outside at zero dark thirty when a motorhome slowed coming down the highway out front and turned up the driveway, the driver got out to ask if boondocking was an option there, they'd driven most of the night to make it home so the DW could see a dear old aunt who had basically raised his DW and was now dying. She'd slept all night while he drove, he was out of steam and needed to rack out.

I asked where they were heading for, it was about a 5 hours drive away. That's about a 1.5 hour trip by plane.

I offered for him to pull in next to my rig, rack out and I'd fly the DW home.

In 5 minutes we were airborne and a family member met us at another airport near their home. The DW got a little over an hour with her before she passed.

You can't put a price on stuff like that, it makes all the money I 'waste' on flying more than worth it to me.

Now THAT is awesome!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I have helped many people along the way with a small repair or a part they need. There is one that makes me laugh every time I think about it.
We were camped at a lake in Central B.C. with our truck and fiver. An old fellow drove in in an old car and asked if I would be so kind as to move his trailer for him. I said sure and followed him down the road to a little store. I was hooking up to his trailer when a guy came out and asked what the H are you doing. I said I was moving this trailer for the older gent over there in the car. He said he owes me rent for having it parked here.
It turned out that the old fellow was taking the position of camp host at the lake we were at hence needing his trailer there.
After a mediation between the two they agreed that the old fellow would pay up when he got paid. I am a sucker for helping older people but sometimes it could bite you.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #36

I have help a few people over the years we have a nice converted school bus that I built myself, I guess people assume I can fix things, so I have had a few knocks on my door from rv folks in need of some sort of help, I'm well stocked with parts and tools, and always try and help, one time I even replaced a toilet for a elder couple, boy was I well fed that night !!
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
Sure have and have plenty of other folks help us.
Fordiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We frequent an rv park where we know many of the other guests. Last year was mine to help out....it seems many problems just popped up. I changed a bad converter for an old vet of WW II in his class C...poor guys battery wouldn't charge and the fridge was getting warm. Next, diagnosed and changed batteries in a 2001 Monaco...they were the originals- bone dry and never checked- that's ok it made their week and the lights were bright after that. Once a guy pulled in 2 spaces over from me and seemed to have problems with a water leak right at the city water fitting...the only problem was a bad rubber washer. The guy had rented the rig from a friend and really had to mechanical aptitude...he was going to just rely on turning the water off and on as he needed. I said that would get old really fast- what an easy repair to make a happy camper. I do boats too....about 10 years ago a guy came in the marina with a stern drive unit that was stuck in the up position. I found a wire severed behind a back seat so I got my wire splice and crimper. It is somehow very satisfying to help people out when they are in need...my wife loves to see me do it as well.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #39

After watching somebody who appeared to be headed for trouble big time, I helped a poor guy who didn't speak a word of English (Western European would be my guess), empty the holding tanks of his RV rental unit.

Geez, was he happy with me!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #40

I was preparing to cross from Lewes Delaware to Cape May N.J. on the ferry. Staff drives around on golf carts telling everyone to shut off the propane tanks. The man in front of me had a class C rental. He spoke no English and had no clue where his tanks were located. Somehow I realized he was distressed, I went up to him and shut off his tanks for him. I hope he was paying attention so that when he got where he was going, he would be able to turn them on again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pfc263 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #41

This is my first post as a new member so I hope I'm doing this right. Some friends that the wife and I camp with many times a year (we met them while camping) had their cooling unit die in the the infamous "never cold". Having myself replaced the cooling units in both of my previous motorhomes, i figured I could help him install a new one. We could never find the time to get together for the repair considering he lives 3 hours away. So on our last trip we had planned last fall, i told him to bring it with him and we would have a fun/work trip. We started at 7am saturday morning and had the cooling unit out by 10 am. I know the OP asked how we had helped someone , but this turned into a kind of community effort because right at the time we were ready to pull the fridge out of the hole, two younger and stronger campers came by and asked if we needed help. If they had not helped , I think me and my friend would have ended up in traction that weekend. Now for those of you who have done this yourself , know the new units dont just drop right in. So with a little patience, a few cold beverages and the help of those fellow campers, we had everything back together and checking for gas leaks by 3 pm. That evening the fridge was making its own ice and we were sitting around the campfire enjoying some beers with our two new younger friends.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #42

Best way to meet folks in an RV Park is to haul out a dog or a toolbox.