Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
How have you helped a fellow RVer.

Yesterday, a 5er rig was parked in the Lowes parking lot. Truck hood was up and driver was working under the hood. I stopped to see if he was alright. Turns out the alternator was not charging the batteries. I drove him to the auto parts store to get it checked out, and it it was good. He figured it was the control module that was acting up. He was traveling from Elkhart to Texas delivering a new 5er. To jury rig to get going I then drove him to purchase a small 2 cycle generator and battery charger to keep charging, so to reach his destination.
I would like to hear any more helpful stories out there.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #2

With humor and as much understanding as I can muster.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

Helping another RV'er

On most trips I assist someone with one problem or another, Once I gave a pop up owner a set of leveling boards and showed him how to level his rig, I helped another get his reefer going, (it had spider webs that needed to be removed) and many more things over the years.
I usually assist in any way I can and I have also been assisted too over the years so I look at it as pay- back..and gives me a good feeling when I help out.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #4

I post helpful answers to problems/questions here and other forums.

On the road...I am one of those guys that will stop and assist those broke down.....be it car/truck/rv

As a broke young man my vehicles left me stranded more then once so I know the feeling when someone just drives by
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
DD and I were at a campground probably 100 miles from the nearest town of any size, it was on the coast, a state one, at least 6 years ago. The unit next to me was a Sightseer too and they too had an adult son with issues similar to daughter.

They got locked out of their unit. The dad came over and he says would you mind if I tried your key, at first I didn't know why then dawned on me he wanted to see if it would open their door. He had been over there for hours trying to get in. He said he was about ready to break out a window, and it was hot out, they did not have a toad. Well wouldn't you know, same door key!! They were so greatful she baked some cake or something can't remember now and brought it over later.

Made me feel good I could help, but also wondered how many of us had the same keys.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Its always nice to have someone stop when the weather is extreme. In our case it was about 20 deg. As we were finishing up, a car drives up, front end collision damage, hood wouldn't latch. Driver gets out with ratchet straps, and doesn't know how to use them. I get under to hook the first, then show him how to thread, ratchet down, lock them and how to release.
He offered to pay, I would only accept a hand shake, hug and a bless you.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
No big deal, but I have saved at least a half dozen people from driving out of a CG with their antenna still up. Actually had to run after one MH to get their attention.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I think that like many RVers, I always try to assist others who are trying to back in without a spotter, by offering to help guide them in.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #9

Early one morning my wife and I were sitting at the dining table watching as the neighbors next to us were preparing to leave. When they pulled out I noticed that they had forgotten to put the Jeep they were towing in neutral, the wheels plowing through the soft gravel as they drove away. I immediately went outside without any shoes on, and ran across the gravel trying to head them off before they reached the asphalt road. I managed to catch up to them after about a hundred feet and ran alongside them yelling and waving trying to get their attention. From the look on her face it must have scared the elderly lady in the passenger seat to death to see this old guy running alongside their rig but they were most appreciative for my efforts, my feet not so much.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It seems that every spring I end up taking 2 or 3 carburators off other people's generators to clean and set up because they didn't run them for months. I have also installed solar panels that they were fiddling with and not having any luck. I used to have to help a couple of my friends with water leaks first time out also, but now I just go around with my compressor and blow thier rigs out for them! Being a retired mechanic, you can't resist a challenge now and then.
Once in the North West outback of Australia I came across an elderly couple towing a TT stranded because the fan belt had broken and snapped off a fitting in the water pump. I managed to find a branch on a scrub tree and whittle down to make a plug to keep the water in the engine. Then I followed them to the next town (Broom) to make sure they made it to a shop. I always refuse any money and just ask that they pass it on to others.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

In AZ last year, we got passed at the last second exiting the highway by a newer class B . No prob... They listened to the gps,,, we did not. Pull up to a stop sign, the "lady in the dash" says turn right... We both laugh, because we are looking straight ahead at the sign of the rv park. We go, sign in, and are parking when those people pulled in after turning around on a dead end road. I happen to be walking a dog the next morning when they are all buckled up, engine running, ready to pull out. I hurried over to tell them to unplug their power cord... They were nice enough I guess,,,, but I got a "oh ya I know" response... Thats why you both have seat belts on ready to go... LOL... No biggy,,, I helped,,, and will in the future anytime I can....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While parked at Ft. Wilderness (Disney World) this past Christmas vacation, we observed a brand new 45' Newmar motor home attempting to park in the site next to us. Since these sites are all back-ins (and some can be rather "tight" depending on their relationship to the apex of the circle on the loop, the driver was really having a difficult time lining up the approach the site. He didn't have a spotter (his wife was sitting in the passenger seat with their dog in her lap and didn't seem interested on didn't know how to assist. I approached the drivers' side window and offered to help (before I had gotten to speak to the driver, he was practically against a tree on the drivers' side. I did get him squared away and eventually parked, and later discovered that they had just picked up the coach in FL and this was the first time out. I remember my first time with our new motor home and the angst it may cause, so I was glad I could help.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
No big deal, but I have saved at least a half dozen people from driving out of a CG with their antenna still up. Actually had to run after one MH to get their attention.
Yeah me, too. I even ran out barefoot on a rainy day at a park with low limbs to tell somebody about their antenna. Bet I looked crazy until they figured out the gesturing.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:46 PM   #14

Oh yeah. Been helped & have helped. I carry more the average in tools. Stuff like a 12 ton bottle jack & blocking lumber. Also booster cables which have helped more than once or twice. Don't carry a ladder but there is always somebody in the CG happy to loan one.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote