Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
How heavy is all your stuff?

My wife and I are shopping for a decent sized (40'ish) DP for full timing. I've noticed that there is a wide range for GVWR, even within brand and years. Both Monaco and Beaver seem to drop about 5,000lbs from the top-of-the-line coach to the "second best". Can there be that much difference in empty weight of two 40 footers? Or are you just supposed to haul less stuff? I have some experience with ocean going boats, and those folks are very aware of how much weight they're carrying as it has to float! I have seen several folks that state that a great many of the big motorhomes on the road today are way over-weight. Does this concern anyone? I'm having trouble finding empty weights for some coaches (1995 Monaco Crown Royale?) so that I can calculate carrying capacity. Am I the only one concerned about this?
All this leads to my real question:
Anyone care to estimate?

ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
The only definitive way to know the curb weight is to have that particular coach weighed. Most manufacturers do to weigh each coach. The weights are figured for a mythical coach that may or may not be close to the same as yours. Many coaches have an option for a larger engine which may weigh from a few hundred to a thousand pounds more than the standard engine.

Tankage is easy to figure from the tank size and the weigh of water and fuel. Your optional payload is as variable as the people using the coaches. I would consider the bare minimum CCC available should be 2-3,000 pounds and more is obviously better. The coaches most at risk for being overweight are 40' coaches with multiple slides and no tag axle. When you have a minimal CCC it's hard to balance the load so one axle or the other will not be overloaded. A tag axle is a wonderful thing for full timers.

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Each coach will have a CCC which will tell you how much weight/cargo you can add.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
If and when you start looking and when you fine one that looks good, go inside to where the driver seat is and look on the side wall their is usely a sticker with all the veryest weights.
So what you would want to do before you start loading her up take her to a weight station.
Once you know how much it waight you can figure out how much you can carry.
Remember you realy don't need a full tank of water 1/3 tank of water will last you until you reach your next stop.
If you can not fine a waight station, check with the Police Department they can tell you where there is one.
I hope this helps.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Hey Folks,
Thanks for the input, but I must have failed in asking my question. All you more experienced full timers must have some idea how much weight you are hauling around with you. I need a better idea of how much carrying capacity is adequate. Obviously more is better so the coach is not always straining at its limit. We have the idea that we would like to do a fair bit of "boondocking" so would like to be able to carry supplies for a reasonable time between supply runs. I suspect that we will need to stick with those coaches that have the greatest capacity which, as I noted earlier, are the top end units for each brand. A Crown Royale that we are interested in has a GVWR of 35,000lbs where a very similar appearing Dynasty is only 31,500, and I find it unlikely that it is 3,500lbs lighter. Marquis and Contessa have a similar relationship. Not that I mind having a nicer coach!! but it does limit us even further in what we might be interested in owning, and God Knows we have limited ourselves a great deal already!
As to finding the CCC, it is not always that simple. When shopping long distance, I have been less than wildly successful in getting people to find this information for me; either with dealers or individuals. Sometimes the closet stickers have long since been "cleaned" off, and a lot of folks seem unaware or unconcerned with the issue. The more permanent plates up by the drivers seat seldom (if ever) list the EMPTY weight so one can calculate the CCC, and I can just imagine the response of a salesman to my request that we vist the local scale on a test drive!
Brochures are sometimes helpful. I have found a site with all the Beaver brochures, and most years have a chart that lists all the weights; empty, GVWR, gross for front and rear axles, combination rating etc. But the Foretravel spec. sheets I've found, while wonderful in a lot of detail, do not give empty weight or CCC, and I am still searching for Monaco and Safari brochures for the years I'm interested in (we're determined to find a mid-coach entry and don't much care for slides so we are largely limited to the 90s).
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We carry about 3000 pounds and would like to be able to carry 3500 pounds.
Our official CCC is 2800 pounds so we are a little overweight.

Now before the weight police jump and castigate me I want to say that since we have been doing this for 9 rears with no damage to coach and no blowouts I guess we are okay with the overweight situation.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are seasonal travlers so we are gone four/five months in a row.

In the basement Port side:

Tire chains
Coleman road trip grill, cover and stand and extra griddles
two packing boxes of wine/ six bottles each
a plastic box of this and that extra plates, party stuff , clothes pins,plastic ware, tent stakes, tarps etc; stuff to keep momma happy
A plastic box with to do projects for the MH, the equipment and supplies for each job
Four of five big pieces of basswood and my carving tools
An empty plastic box
My 50 amp cord
all my sewer supplies, extra oil, cleaning supplies, rags etc;

Starboard from the rear:

Our towing stuff, brake buddy and attachments
Propane bottle 20#
My tools and supplies for MH repairs small and large and puttering around stuff
Power tools/variable depending
A pull out TV
filing boxes of personal papers
Flags and poles and banners for display
Six big legal filing boxes of work related material for my wife consulting business
Dog food
Spare soda pop
Dog care tool kit with grooming supplies etc;
Fold up table for six
Window coverings and shade tarps
My ladder
four folding chairs
Chaise lounge
Golf clubs

All this plus what we have inside food, clothing, blankets, towels, toiletries, magazines etc weighs about 3000 pounds. We travel at maximum weight for our gasser and even then we are over so we move stuff to the toad and I rearrange stuff when necessary.

Weight is a constant battle for us.

I do my best to make sure we do not carry the wine home.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are half-timers and routinely carry about 3000 lbs in water, propane, food, clothing and gear. Probably many people carry less - 2000 lbs used to be a "typical fulltimer" estimate, but we like to bring along extra "stuff" for outdoor enjoyment. A couple large folding tables, 4 chairs, grill, etc. Plus ladder, two portable LP bottles in addition to the main coach tank, etc etc etc

The GVWR difference is many coaches is simply a bigger, more capable chassis. The UVW may indeed be similar, but the high end coach may have extra capacity. You can't tell much from GVWR unless you also have the approximate UVW. Recent gov't mandates require more detailed info to be included with the coach, but on older coaches it can be hard to find.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #9

The trick is to get your stuff weeded down to what you aint got you dont need. Extra weight is fuel cost and possible blow outs and rig damage. BIG cost. It is very easy to do!
Friend with a 5-er was blowing tires, ripping up his fenders, etc. Was 3500 overweight. Also over for his truck and the hitch.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Consider only looking at coaches with a tag axle. The tag will provide about 10K of carrying capacity. My coach has about 6K of carrying capacity. I am a 1/2 timer. In addition I travel one week a month, in the winter, to rallies the clubs I belong to host. I am at 20K in the rear. This is right at GAWR. I have about 1K left on the front axle. This means my stuff weighs in at about 5K. The GVWR of the coach is 32K. I say all this so you can see the GVWR is kind of meaningless. One really needs to know the weight that is on each axle. Better yet, on each corner of the coach. The reason GVWR may not play into this is that some coaches are outfitted with grand interiors. Granite this and that, tile and wood flooring, more TVs than one has eyes to watch, over stuffed furniture, etc. All this grandeur adds up to less for you to carry. My coach is the "family" floor plan. This is a politically correct way of saying light and utilitarian is the interior. However, I can carry a lot of my stuff.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Vintage RV Owners Club
I think a safe way to estimate weight might be to look at ALL tank capacity (black/grey/freshwater as well as fuel/propane tanks) and arrive at their weight when full. Since we're talking motor home not trailer, add passenger weight, if known...or use a figure like 200 pounds each.

Now you've got a good solid "top-loaded" number for those things.

After that...I'd think that about a thousand pounds of miscellanea would be just about the max that anyone could cram in to a rig, so that seems like a nice round number. Do the math and there you might have a good, conservative working number.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
National RV Owners Club
You have the uper hand in buying a Rig. After you fine what your looking for, tell the sale man or woman that before I will sign anything I will need to know what it's weight is empty so I will know how much weight I can put into it. (don't take his ward for it).
You know what the max will be so all you want to do is fine out what the weight is at the scales you just sugtract it from what the sticker says thats on the wall next to the driver seat.
It you already have a car that you want to toe, than you should fine out what it weights also because you will have to add that to the over all weight along with the tow bar.
That should give you a good idea as to how much you can carry.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
Freightliner Owners Club
Not full time, I normally carry about 2500+# of stuff total. I am still well under GVWR for my Freightliner XCS chassis. (GVWR 22000, empty weight 17490, recent loaded weight, includes stuff, with full water and 90gals fuel, propane, and 2 people was 20260 lbs.)
Useful load is going to vary with coach manufacturers. Freightliner builds chassis with 18,000 to 44,000 # GVWR.
Freightliner Motorhome Chassis ? RV Chassis

What the coach builder adds to the chassis and where will determine your carrying cap. There were reports of early class "C"'s that the rear axle was basically overloaded empty.....
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
The specs on my DP says it weighs 20,750, but that evidently is before you add fuel, coolant, and other necessary fluids and lubricants. I had it weighed with a tank of fuel, about 30 gallons of fresh water, a full propane tank, our kitchen and bath items, and our camp items (chairs, Coleman stove, etc). It came in at 23,600 that time. Later I had each corner weighed when it was loaded and ready to go on the road. Total this time was 25,200 with both the wife and me on board, while the max weight allowed is 28,000. We can legally take another 2,800 pounds but don't need or want to. We full time and I carry extra stuff like tools and who knows what. Allowed towing for this rig is 10,000 but we pull a Jeep Grand Cherokee weighting about 5,000.

So, the answer to the "how much does your stuff weigh" question I'd say is in the 2,000 to 3,000 range.

Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote