Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
How high should tire pressure go?

I have a TST TPMS system. I have the pressure set at a limit where on a hot day, long drive the alarm goes off. I think I am being way to conservative and overly cautious but am unsure what "to high pressure" really is.
I know that the maximum pressure on the sidewalk is cold and that they take into account the increased pressure resulting from driving but at what point should I be concerned?
Any ideas?

Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's a great question Elf and I have the same thing happen with my Doran 360 system. So far, I have just done a quick check to ensure that all tires are increasing at something at least close to the same rate so that I can be fairly certain that the alarm isn't being caused by a hot brake or such but I'd sure like an expert answer to this as well.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

If I'm not mistaken they recommend no more than 10% less for low alarm from your cold pressure setting and 15% above your cold setting for high alarm.

Jon
Old 08-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #4

My fronts are set at 105-108 cold right now...... they will go to 109-110 when in full sunlight side - and to 114-116 when driving .....
Rears do same but at cold 95-97 .... 103-105 when driving....
My tire max is I beleive 120 cold ... your's obviously may be different
The factory preset on my Pressure Pro system is -12.5% from my baseline (as set) and second alarm at - 25%
High alert can be set but from factory is at 24% .. would allow for my to go to like 136 ... highest I've seen on very hot day while driving was 120
Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
If they are gaining too much maybe you need to raise your pressure, low pressure builds heat and pressure? JAT
Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #6

I set my cold pressure at 105 psi, and on a hot day, 100 F, pressure will rise to 118 F - 120 F. when traveling on highway at 60-65 mph. All six tires have a uniform rise in temperature, and tires are Toyo 255 R20 22.5.
CarlGeo
Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #7

I run 110 psi in the front tires and on a warm day they go to about 122 and on a hot day up to 126. I run 90 psi in the rear duals and on a warm day they go to about 98 and on a hot day up to 105. The side with sun is always the highest.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
There seems to be lots of techniques. I'm surprised that there is not anything more definitive. I am at 95 cold on a warm day and went up to 109. 95 is the cold max for my tires. The 109 is close to the 15%. I also went with the "they're all about the same" theory. I was surprised to see the temps go down when we drove through an area that was cloud covered for a bit. That shade on the pavement made a noticeable difference in the pressure. Past a 5er in Missoula with a blown tire and wondered if there would have been any warning for them with a tpms.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
According to tire manufacturers, the "cold tire" temperature they refer to is considered to be 70*F. You will get a .5 # rise for every ten degrees from that. Same with every 10K ft. in elevation. It is amazing the trivia you remember from Camp Freightliner.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Allow for at least 15% increase in pressure when driving and a very hot day may take it to 20%. The pavement gets really broiling in the hot summer sun and the tire can't shed heat quickly if its 100+ outside.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Allow for at least 15% increase in pressure when driving and a very hot day may take it to 20%. The pavement gets really broiling in the hot summer sun and the tire can't shed heat quickly if its 100+ outside.
Agree.. Those tires can actually take quite a bit of psi and still hold.. more than you will ever see driving, unless its on fire. I once watched as a tire tech put 70psi in my passenger car tire to look for a leak (2x the max psi)..
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I run my fronts at 105 and the duals at 93. It is not unusual to see the fronts hit 120-123 on a hot day by 4pm. With my TST I adjusted the high temp so it sets off at either 125 or 130. ( Not at my rig right now so can't check. )
Dan
Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
To set tire pressure the correct way, you first need to weigh the coach on all wheel positions. Then you go to the tire pressure/load chart for your tire and find that weight range. These charts generally account for dual wheels too. Then you will know the tire cold pressure for that wheel position. Of course this works out if your coach is perfectly balanced, which is generally not the case.

Tires should never be run lower than the recommended pressure as this will eventually result in tire failure. You can certainly run them at the MAX pressure listed on the tire, but that may result in un-even wear.

I use the higher tire pressure for that AXLE so that the tires are the same on each side. This way neither side is under pressure and it is easier for me to remember what to set them at. Also remember, when running dual wheels, each tire should be set to the same pressure.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hot weather vs tires

I live in a part of the country that has been receiving more days over 100 degrees than under. It doesn't get hot until mid afternoon. I start to travel at 6:00 AM and stop by noon. Pavement is much cooler hence lower tire temps. It would take something like a wildfire to make me move after lunch. When I came across the Mohave Desert in summer, there was a stretch of over twenty miles where I believe I could have stepped from one tire chunk to another and never touched the pavement. I keep my speed below 65 mph and drive in the AM and have eleven years and counting on a very good looking set of tires.