Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #29

Cheap Imsurance

When discussing tire covers, a common response is "cheap insurance". If i bought everything on the market that was "cheap insurance", i wouldn't have enough money left for fuel.

Jim E

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #30

With the fierce sun in TN and FL, we use tire covers.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
When discussing tire covers, a common response is "cheap insurance". If i bought everything on the market that was "cheap insurance", i wouldn't have enough money left for fuel.

Jim E
The idea is to buy cheap insurance for what you need it for, not to buy it ALL.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
wow... you angry?
No, I'm quite amused. Reformed smokers, religious zealots, and tire threads bring out the most interesting comments.

My motorhome doesn't fly or go 200 mph so I guess seatbelts are useless too. Because as Cody @ Freightliner says: When my motorhome goes 200 mph then I'll put nitrogen in my tires. (quoted from memory so not an exact quote)
Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its all about UV rays. Cover them or use Armour-All, or something similar. I prefer the latter as it makes them shiny too
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
When not in use, the tires are covered. The covers CW sells are the ones I use.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Jim E
well I look at it this way... anything I can do on my end to be proactive is surely cheaper than being at the mercy of some po-dunk shop or wrecker driver.
$100 to cover a $3,000 set of tires. Now if I can just build a $5,000 garage to cover my $50k motorhome
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #36
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tire covers when not using the rig for (2) weeks or longer and 303 Protectant additionally.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
The idea is to buy cheap insurance for what you need it for, not to buy it ALL.
Yea, but the seller/manufacturer implies you need it. So how do you decide? Concerning tire covers, Look at all the products on the market that "protects" your tires. How do you decide which to use. I don't believe there are any "non biased" facts that prove any commercial product will extend tire life.

Jim E
Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Then you've been reading the wrong info. Here's Michelin's official word on tire life.
The tire manufacturer knows best.
A professional in your area would be a huge plus.
In the end, it is much more prudent to err on the side of safety. $3,000 to $5,000 dollars is cheap compared to potential body work, insurance issues, and all the related stress involved with a tire failure on the road.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBell View Post
The tire manufacturer knows best.
A professional in your area would be a huge plus.
In the end, it is much more prudent to err on the side of safety. $3,000 to $5,000 dollars is cheap compared to potential body work, insurance issues, and all the related stress involved with a tire failure on the road.
Don't forget a good TPMS
Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In days of old when I was bold... I had a Dodge Maxi van, it had a rear mounted spare. I put a cover over the tire.

Well.. suffice to say that tire "Aged" faster than the service tires (The ones on the road).

The cover, only hid the damage from view.. Tires like to be driven on (or towed on) they do not like sitting still.. I do not normally cover mine (Some exceptions) and the sidewalls still look smooth with no evidence of cracking or crazing... We drive on 'em every 1-2 weeks. as a rule. at least 30 miles.

Now the exceptions.. When they really were new I sometimes parked for several months (I've only been full timing for about 3 years now) (NOTE> they will be 7 this spring) and then I'd cover,, I also shaded.

And from Thanksgiving to New Years I used covers.

You see. I have two "Mr. Christmas" projectors, these devices are designed to project an image onto a flat or nearly flat surface, Well, there really is no surface on the motor home that works well for this so I used the wheel covers as the projector screens.

Worked great.. Lots of folks liked my "light up wheel covers" with a new design every week. (I changed gells every week) one was "in-motion" no less.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yea, but the seller/manufacturer implies you need it. So how do you decide? Concerning tire covers, Look at all the products on the market that "protects" your tires. How do you decide which to use. I don't believe there are any "non biased" facts that prove any commercial product will extend tire life.

Jim E
Hi Jim,
Most tire protection products on the market are petroleum base and damaging to your tires. These products are directed at car tires which will be replaced due to wear before any damaging effects from the use of the product. Michelin use to make a non-petroleum based product but they discontinued it and I'm not sure what they recommend now other than just keeping them clean. Aerospace 303 is the only other non-petroleum based product with a UV inhibitor that most people use.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
As someone who spends long periods of time in one location, been in Albuquerque for almost four months now, my tires are always covered. Two years ago I was in St. Charles, MO for the summer. We got there early spring and I had bought a new set of tire covers. The coach was in direct sunlight for the entire day. When it came time to take the covers off the vinyl had become brittle and fell apart in my hands. They weren't the cheap ones because I paid about $100+ for the set. I can imagine the damage the sun would have done to the tires. Seems the longer the covers are in the sun the less time they last. Sure wish I could find a long lasting tire cover.
RJay

Here are the ones I bought last summer from CW. The vinyl seems to be a higher quality than others I have felt.

Designer Tyre Gards 4-pack - Product - Camping World

Don