Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #43

I keep mine covered when parked at home Rather if you believe in them or not it sure can't hurt to cover them up.
Knightfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Don,
Thanks so much. I'm staying about a mile from Camping World so I'll see what they have. I really like the color which will go perfectly with the coach. I'm beginning to think that the constant day after day sun exposure to the covers is the problem. I might have to start using 303 on the wheel covers.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #45
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you're driving a DP or newer gasser with alluminum (alloy) rims, the covers really keep them looking nice from trip to trip. Reduces polishing to about a third.

If putting covers on is too much work or too expensive, I'm guessing the polishing is also out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We plan on replacing our tires this spring, and once replaced will be putting tire covers on, worth the price, and what the heck, not out alot of money on the covers. Now the tires, there is another story..lol Next thing to do ,is some research on the brand we want to invest in.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #47

Around here the temps during the summer are almost as high as Phoenix. So I use them. they are always handy so I use them in the winter also. since the sun shines in the winter too.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
If you are going to get tire covers make sure the ones you get will actually fit your tires. Ours are such a size that even RV stores just tell us to make them ourselves. We are hard pressed to find the size to fit ours. But I guess if we make them ourselves that we could go the route of doing different scenes to fit the different times of the year, lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My fronts have hubs that stick out in the center about 4 to 5 inches. Even though they are 19.5 tires, I was reminded by CW that I had to order 31 or 32 inch covers...good thing too! They fit perfectly.

Kent
Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #50

plywood works
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #51

When I bought my MH, they gave me a certificate for $50 for use in their parts store. I bought two covers and a mini dish drainer.

One tire is blocked from the sun, so I bought some UV resistant Marine Naugahyde and made one. I coated all of them with 303.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Hi Jim,
Most tire protection products on the market are petroleum base and damaging to your tires. These products are directed at car tires which will be replaced due to wear before any damaging effects from the use of the product. Michelin use to make a non-petroleum based product but they discontinued it and I'm not sure what they recommend now other than just keeping them clean. Aerospace 303 is the only other non-petroleum based product with a UV inhibitor that most people use.
I am using Eagle 1 made by valvoline that is water based and has silicone in it (no petroleum products). The factory has told me it contains UV inhibitors. It is a spray gel, is easy to use and is environtmentally safe.
JAT

99 Tradewinds 7371 -98 Jeep TJ modified
tufftj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #53
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I cover my tires during winter storage
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #54

Never seen a car with tire covers ...

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #55

Tire covers are very important. ^ You don't see cars/trucks with tire covers (well, you actually do, but not often)...but you also don't see cars with 7+yr old tires either, do you? I cover my current set of tires, and they're going on 10yrs old and still look great ....especially considering the Michelins on my Class C were cracked beyond belief after just 5 yrs. One of my cars still has it's original Good Year Eagles on it with no cracks (it's 12+yrs old and garage kept), while the Eagles on my daily driver are only 2yrs old and are already starting to show minor cracking. Sun is the enemy
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #56

AHA! Actually went out and did some online RESEARCH re: tire covers ...

" ...UV rays speed the aging process of your tires, which can lead to dry rot or premature cracks in the sidewalls... The sun's UV rays can ruin your tires while the vehicle is sitting, when they are more susceptible to sun damage because they get little use. Normal driving causes your tires to heat up and flex, which maintains the tire's built-in UV protection ..."

From the Goodyear site (which has an extensive RV tire section):
located at Goodyear RV Tires

"RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) says, ”Statistics indicate that the average life of an RV tire is five to seven years. "

Replacement - more frequent usage will result in longer life.

Weather cracking is common in RV tires from all manufacturers.
Appears as crazing and or cracking in the flex area of the sidewall
Probable causes of sidewall weathering
— Long periods of inactivity or storage
— Direct exposure to air and sunlight
— Exposure to high levels of ozone (smog, electrical generators)
— Excessive washing or dressing using alcohol or petroleum based cleaners

To combat weather cracking and dry rot, Goodyear uses anti-oxidants and anti-ozonants not only in the tire sidewall but in the tire casing as well. These anti-oxidants and anti-ozonants slowly make their way through to the sidewall to keep the sidewall looking great for many, many years. Anti-oxidants and anti-ozonants protect the tire from ozone, UV light, and sunlight.

As far as making the tire look shiny, there are a variety of products on the market today. We do not recommend or endorse any specific product. Just stay away from any petroleum based product which can react to the rubber.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote