Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
...I have read a RV tire should be replaced every 5 to 7 years no matter how it looks... D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Then you've been reading the wrong info. Here's Michelin's official word on tire life.
Quote:
...It is impossible to predict when tires should be replaced ... However, the older a tire the greater the chance that it will need to be replaced... While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires...
10 years is great if you can get it, but Dixieray53 is referring to the numbers I have heard most frequently, including the quote from the GOODYEAR TIRES website - "RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) says, ”Statistics indicate that the average life of an RV tire is five to seven years. "

Since the OP topic was "wheel covers", based on the research I did in above post #56, it would appear the use of wheel covers OR a non-petroleum based protective dressing DO extend tire life if used when the vehicle is parked for more than a few days.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Well Katryn I hate to burst your bubble and to call RVIA a liar but all that you researched is untrue. I know I'm sticking my neck out.

Tire manufacturers would love you to replace tires after 5 years at $400.00 a pop, it would be to their advantage.

My Rv sits outside with UV ptotector sprayed on tires and 4 tire covers. My RV is 8 years old and no sign of tires cracking or splitting. I am not afraid to drive my coach anyplace as I feel it is safe. One last point all six(6) tires are sitting on pressure treated 2X12 lumber.

Something else to consider if your coach is Sitting to long then I suggest you take it for a ride down the road and back to flex the tires and let all the lubricants do their job too.

On my first RV a 1989 Minnie Winnie I got 90,000 miles out of my Michelin tires and hope to do as well with this coach.

Lastly always check the ait pressure in the tires because low tire pressure is a killer as that can cause tire failure.

Hope this helps and cover those tires that are sitting on wood.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Why worry about tire covers in Wa State? We only have a couple of weeks of Summer. LOL
You're on the wrong side of the mountain!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Aerospace 303 on tires regularly and tire covers if sitting in the sun. If sitting on concrete, asphalt, gravel, dirt or grass, put something under tires--boards, etc.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
I'm no statistician..in fact, I sucked at math in college...but anything citing an average of "between 5 and 7 years" is immediately suspect in my mind. An average is a number, not a range of numbers.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #62

Tires sitting in one spot, with weight on them is bad. With that said, if a tire is stored properly, they'll last for what seems like forever. Ex: We had a drag car, and while at the track, we threw on a spare set of slicks we had in storage...that were about 20yrs old. Those tires ran down the track at over 140mp/h without issue. We hear stories like that all the time...many of the older guys have NOS tires stored away in their shops for 15-20yrs. Are we all taking a gamble? nope. We visually inspected them, felt the compound (if the rubber rolls off when you rub it, that's not good), knocked on the tires with a hammer, and warmed the tires up before the race, so they were as good to go as any other set.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #63

Its just me but I have to cover all my stuff from the sun, does it help ? In my mind it does and I'll continue to cover things even if you prove that it doesn't help.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
As I recently learned, covering something from direct sunlight does not necessarily shield it from UV rays. I have worn a hat or cap my entire adult life and yet I've had four carcinomas cut out of my bald gourd in the past 1.5 yr.

Clothing manufacturers are beginning to advertise based on their clothing's SPF number. I cover my tires with a well-known brand cover, but I haven't a clue if it blocks UV.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #65

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How important are tire covers.

Depends, If you are a salesman on comission then your customer CLEARLY needs the most expensive tire covers you have in the store.

Otherwise, I am not convinced they make any difference at all,, Except in the months of November and December, And that last bit is kind of a joke. (Will explain)

I have seen tires that sat, covered, as compared to tires that went Rollin, Rollin, Rollin down the highway with no covers and have to say the tires that were properly exercised lasted much longer than the spare did.

It is driving of the coach that prolongs the tire life, not the covers.

Oh, the joke:

I do cover my tires over the holidays,, The covers make a perfect screen form my holiday scene projectors you see.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #66

Tire covers are cheap...I just bought a new set for $50 for all 4, and they were monogrammed.

For those who still doubt their usefulness, I have a challenger for you: take a set of new tires. Cover one side, leave the others. As long as both sides see the same amount of sun, if the covered side isn't in better condition after 5 years, I will literally buy you a full set of tires of your choice. No joke.

...but I know I won't have to, because they make a difference.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
Tire covers are cheap...I just bought a new set for $50 for all 4, and they were monogrammed.

For those who still doubt their usefulness, I have a challenger for you: take a set of new tires. Cover one side, leave the others. As long as both sides see the same amount of sun, if the covered side isn't in better condition after 5 years, I will literally buy you a full set of tires of your choice. No joke.

...but I know I won't have to, because they make a difference.
To be fair, instead of one side covered and the other not - make it the front covered and the back not (or vice versa) - that way they get equal amounts of sun in case one side gets less.

Kathryn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey! The thought occurs ... what about comparing aging of the OUTSIDE dual wheel vs the INSIDE dual wheel - anybody see a difference in aging since the inside is shaded from the sun???

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #68

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
someone correct me if im wrong.sunlight reflecting off of chrome wheel inserts can cause premature cracks in the sidewall of tires.
Possible on the front, not possible on the rear.

NOTE: Possible does not mean it happens,, Just that the angles are such that sunlight can be reflected back up onto the tire, ON the duals that can't happen.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
To be fair, instead of one side covered and the other not - make it the front covered and the back not (or vice versa) - that way they get equal amounts of sun in case one side gets less.

Kathryn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey! The thought occurs ... what about comparing aging of the OUTSIDE dual wheel vs the INSIDE dual wheel - anybody see a difference in aging since the inside is shaded from the sun???

Kathryn

yeah, that's a better idea haha. I wasn't thinking.

I've never had a dual that was weather checked, at least not the side that's right against the other tire.

The sun's reflection can be just as nasty. On my car, the rubber weatherstripping has some sun damage, but only right by the mirrors where reflects light right on the rubber.