Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We keep ours covered if sitting more than a day. Don't buy the white ones, they look terrible.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The manual for my Goodyear 670s claims they have uv protection built in. However, at the cost of these things, I cover them anyway...sure can't hurt for a little extra protection.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Our coach is stored in covered storage so we don't use the tire covers. We probably wouldn't use them in any case.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well after $2700 for six new tires I had the tire covers so I'm using them. I guess down the road I'll find out if if was worth it. I purchased Michelin's which usually age out before you wear them out but we'll see. I have to say that most everyone here in the park we're at in Florida have their tires covered.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suppose tire covers are very important to the folks who manufacture and sell them. I do not use them, so they are not important enough to me to purchase a set. I did some covered-uncovered tests years ago on a set of tires on one of my old motorhomes. Didn't work out for me at my location at that time in Southern California. I now reside in the northwest, and do not have as much cracking of tire sidewalls here. As someone above said, they do keep the wheels cleaner while parked for longer periods.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am anal-retentive about keeping my wheels clean.
soooo putting on the covers helps keep the rain and other stuff off em till we get on the road again.
and the reflection off the wheel sitting still will blind the average bear
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #21

The variety of opinions on tire care could keep me entertained for a long time. On another thread fellow RV'rs are stating what a waste of money it is to spend $5.00 per tire to fill them with a more nitrogen rich mixture rather than air which has 21% oxygen. Studies are now showing that the oxygen under pressure inside the tire may be permeating the rubber, leading to premature aging of tires and oxydation or rusting of the steel belts resulting in tire blowouts. Currently the military, commercial aircraft and NASCAR are using it for a variety of reasons.

It appears that the majority of posters feel that $5.oo per tire for nitrogen is a waste of money, snake oil, or worse. In this thread it appears that a majority think $50.00 per tire (which can be used for more than one set of tires) is not too much to pay for taking care of your tires.

I'm not sure what this means exactly, but I do find it interesting.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Besides tire protection, covers also protect aluminum wheels that are not DuriBright. The fewer water stains, the less elbow grease.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many miles did you have on the tires when you replaced. I recently had to replace mine with 63K on them, due to tire failure. Dot date 2301.
naed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
The variety of opinions on tire care could keep me entertained for a long time. On another thread fellow RV'rs are stating what a waste of money it is to spend $5.00 per tire to fill them with a more nitrogen rich mixture rather than air which has 21% oxygen. Studies are now showing that the oxygen under pressure inside the tire may be permeating the rubber, leading to premature aging of tires and oxydation or rusting of the steel belts resulting in tire blowouts. Currently the military, commercial aircraft and NASCAR are using it for a variety of reasons.

It appears that the majority of posters feel that $5.oo per tire for nitrogen is a waste of money, snake oil, or worse. In this thread it appears that a majority think $50.00 per tire (which can be used for more than one set of tires) is not too much to pay for taking care of your tires.

I'm not sure what this means exactly, but I do find it interesting.

Ken
wow... you angry?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #25

at the Freightliner school, Cody said when he starts to drive his motor home at 200 miles an hour he would start putting nitrogen in his tires but until then he would use air. Most all truck stops carry air but sometimes nitrogen is hard to find. So we carry air in our Toyo tires.

Happy trails, Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For what it's worth, My motorhome came with the Goodyear G670 tires. They are now 7.5 yrs old. So I replaced them due to the date code. They still looked new.
I replaced them with the Goodyear G670. I know I paid a little more than what the Michelins cost. I chose the Goodyears because of the built in polymers and the resistance to weather check or cracks. I have never covered them with anything nor do I put any type of cleaners or protective on them. I do however, move my motorhome approx. 100 to 200 miles every 2 to 3 weeks. I do think the answer to longitivity is to exercise the tires,seals, hoses, belts, etc.
" USE IT, OR LOOSE IT "
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
As someone who spends long periods of time in one location, been in Albuquerque for almost four months now, my tires are always covered. Two years ago I was in St. Charles, MO for the summer. We got there early spring and I had bought a new set of tire covers. The coach was in direct sunlight for the entire day. When it came time to take the covers off the vinyl had become brittle and fell apart in my hands. They weren't the cheap ones because I paid about $100+ for the set. I can imagine the damage the sun would have done to the tires. Seems the longer the covers are in the sun the less time they last. Sure wish I could find a long lasting tire cover.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #28

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
I bought my 5er last September, and it had the original Goodyears on it. As I was concerned about the age of the tires, I had a friend, who is a truck tire guy, order a set of 6 to settle my worries.
When he came out to swap them, he said the originals were better than what he was going to put on there, so he cancelled the job. (Thank God for honest friends). I asked him how many miles he thought I had left on them, he said about 300k. They're still on the wheels.
Also, bought the thing with no tire covers, but did some trading with another guy that has a canvas shop, so having a set made. Like it was said before, cheap insurance...
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote