Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
I doubt I would ever buy new, so the dealer means nothing to me either. Doing business with a dealer usually means spending the long dollar, so about the only thing I go there for is an occasional part and supplies.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
First of all, many folks on this forum including myself, would not recommend buying any rv new. Mfg quality has hit the pits and the first owner has to work out the bugs. Plus, you loose too much in depreciation right away.

I too join the ranks that say a local dealer is not the most important thing. And to me it means nothing. Most likely you will have problems while using your rv and it probably will not be in your home town or near it.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I've own two RV's both class A's and what I've found out is that I've always had to take the RV back to the factory to get the repairs done right...I've spent my time at "camp Monaco" in Elkhart....Upside is I met some really great people while sitting there....
Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
New coach, used coach, it's just a matter of personal preference. We like the fact no one has slept in our bed, pee'd in our toilet, or never bothered to changed the engine oil, and we are willing to pay for that, plus the manufacturers warranty, always a favorite option of mine. Others prefer to save the money, and take their chances, and, many come out ahead. There is no right or wrong, just preference, and, besides if no one one bought new, there would be no used.
All that said, this is no cheap lifestyle, so even if I did pay a little more for the convenience of dealing locally, and developing that relationship, in our opinion the return can be ten-fold, EVEN if you buy used from them, maybe Even more so.
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
Ford Super Duty Owner
My opinion is the local dealer is not that important. I bought a new TT from RV Wholesale and picked it up in Elkhart. The local dealer took care of the few warranty issues, no questions. The MH I bought used 2700 miles on it. Took it to the local Fleetwood dealer to have the engine and gen serviced. They changed the oil but diid not grease it or check the rear end. At 6000 miles the wheel bearings burned up, 1 gal of oil in the rear end instead of 4.5 gal. Ford fixed it under warranty. So much for local dealers.
All fivers and TTs and lot of motor homes have the same stuff in them, frig, stove, furnace etc and any good dealer can fix or replace them.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buying from local dealer is certainly not a "must" in my book. It's a convenience if the dealer has a competent service department (not at all a sure thing!). In your case, since duty may make it difficult to take the RV to a place 100-300miles away, finding local service may be higher priority. But it doesn't necessarily have to be the selling dealer either.

In my experience, dealers with good service shops typically handle all comers anyway. Those that make excuses to turn away service customers probably aren't much interested in providing top notch service to begin with - they are merely selling RVs and doing as little as possible to service them.

If you are not buying new, the value of a local sealer is even less.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote