RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 04:56 AM   #1

How important is a water softener?

We are getting ready to go full time and will travel across the country, staying 2-4 weeks before moving on to the next place. How important is having a water softener? I know some of the places have some pretty hard water, but will it do any damage to the MH?

Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 05:10 AM   #2

Damage isnít predominant, but just as it is at home, self and clothing will be easier to clean. Some areas of the country, the water may cause clogging of shower heads and valves. An additional advantage is the water softener will filter particles. We use 2 pounds of salt a month. Very inexpensive cost for comfort.

mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you've got an Aqua-Hot or similar system it's real important. If your DW says anything about the effect of hard water on her hair or laundry - it could be a life-saver!

Otherwise - it sure helps keep down the build-up on faucets, sinks, etc. and water spots on everything else ...

We use the small On-the-Go that requires a table salt regen about every 3 - 4 weeks for our FT use throughout the country. DW is very happy
Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Soap, shower, and laundry.

We live out in the country and have our own well. We notice the difference in the shower when the softener failed to re-generate. Soap will not lather.

Is it absolutely necessary in a motorhome. Depends on your personal tolerance to hard water, how long you're staying at a location, and how hard the water is..

To date in our travels, we've ran across hard water, but never considered a softener.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #5

We have FT for 7 years now w/o a water softner. There are some places were we could have used it, but so far we have survived. We just left a spot in Mich where after 2 weeks, the inline blue water filter had leaked and the outside was covered with brown hard water minerals. My thought/opinion is that we move so often that different water types won't have a long term effect on our RV or even health for that matter.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
We are getting ready to go full time and will travel across the country, staying 2-4 weeks before moving on to the next place. How important is having a water softener? I know some of the places have some pretty hard water, but will it do any damage to the MH?
never used one in my life no problems .. don't know what I'm missing
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
It depends on where you travel. Southeast, where lakes and rivers provide most of the drinking water, has naturally soft water. West has more water from wells, and those frequently have very hard water. We spent 5 weeks in Arizon on our first retiree trip and had hard water reduce the flow in our faucets. Had to take the faucet screens out and rinse them with vinegar. We bought a water softener after that!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #8

We do have the aqua-hot system. We plan on going to every state (except Hawaii, unless we can put pontoons on it). It might be a good idea to get one. I have been looking at the On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain RV Water Softener. It looks like it is easy to use and may last awhile between adding more salt.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #9

I am a solo full timer and have never had a water softener. I have no problem with my shower or laundry. I have 3 water filters on my system. I do have an Aqua Hot. Why is it important to have a water softener if you have an Aqua Hot?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojim View Post
never used one in my life no problems .. don't know what I'm missing
You sure got that right bubba!
My brothers house is on well water, and I can tell you that the waters so hard you get bruised taking a shower! OK, a bit exaugurated but you still get the point. After installing a softener, it's a night and day difference in the quality of the water. Skin conditions cleared up in a week, clothes last longer after install, and softer too! I will be installing one myself!
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #11

Just a heads up to those not familiar with well water, where most hard water comes from. Rust and hard water are not the same thing, although they seem to go together. I have well water at my home which is both hard and rusty. I had a water softener and it didn't do squat for the rusty water. I got a Sterling rust removal system about 10 years ago and haven't had a rust issue since. I don't know what's available for RVs but I wouldn't count on a softener to remove rust, even with the so called rust remover salt. Just my experience.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #12

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
After spending a few holidays in and around Arizona, I decided to try a water softner. So happy we have it now, much better for anything where soap is used. Also, no more water stains from dried drops on countertops.
We didn't spend enough time to have problems with clogging tap screens, but I'm sure it would help with that as well.
We have the Flo-Pur 1000, and so far it has worked great. I'm sure others are just as good.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Bought my 2003 Dynasty in Calif last summer. When I winterized it everything was ok, now as I get ready for a trip, I found all the sinks clogged and I havenít figure out how to unclog the shower faucet. Not a easy task since itís not as easy as taking off the aerator. I was thinking of bypassing the Aqua Hot and running white vinegar or CLR through the system before winterizing. A water softener sounds like a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2232.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	254917  
f365gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f365gt4 View Post
....I havenít figure out how to unclog the shower faucet.
Acetylene torch tip cleaners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9894FF03-5457-48AF-A43A-5C269E3B60BE.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	254923  

Tags
water