Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Reband's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
How long can bleach water stay in system

I'm sanitizing my fresh water system. I put 1/4 cup bleach per gallon for every 15 gallons of capacity and ran it through the system as per the owners manual. It is supposed to stay in there at least 4 hours. Is it harmful to anything, such as pump, valves, lines, or tank, to leave it in there overnight or longer?

The reason I'm sanitizing is that last time I filled the fresh water tank, I noticed a very strong sulphur smell coming out of the vent tube as the water was going in. (We haven't really used the fresh water much this season, just the city water at campgrounds.) Is this just from some sulphury water I picked up the last time I put water in, or could there be something nasty growing in there?

Thanks

Dan

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W
__________________

__________________
Reband is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,136
Hopefully you meant 1/4 cup for 15 gallons. Four hours is the minimum. I don't think overnight will harm anything.
__________________

__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,521
I leave mine 24 hours.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,096
Leave it as long as you like, but 4 hours is about a minimum.

The amount is 1/4 cup bleach diluted in 1 gal of water; then 1 gallon of solution per 15 gallons of tank capacity.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Leave it as long as you like, but 4 hours is about a minimum.

The amount is 1/4 cup bleach diluted in 1 gal of water; then 1 gallon of solution per 15 gallons of tank capacity.
Correct. The concentration that the above posters used can and will weaken the rubber seals throughout their system which will cause premature leaks.

__________________
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Reband's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
Yeah - thats what I meant to say. First I filled the fresh water tank to quarter full. Then I mixed 1/4 cup bleach with a gallon of water and poured it in the gravity fill, and repeated 6 more times since I have a 100 gal tank and a 10 gal hot water tank. Then filled the fresh water tank till full. Then ran water through all taps until it smelled bleachy.
Another question: Do I want to run the bleach water through the toilet, or will it react with the black tank deodorizer & enzyme I have in there?
Thanks for the responses everyone.
__________________
Reband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Yes run it in the crapper also. You will probably need to put your nose near the hole till you smell a strong odor of bleach. Let it swish around awhile and smell it one more time. If you no longer smell the bleach, then you can empty the black tank.

Good Luck

__________________
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,096
The bleach will, however, negate the enzymes in the black tank. There is no need to flush much of the bleach solution down the commode, but do run enough into the toilet bowl so that it fills the fresh water line that feeds it. You are sanitizing the fresh water system, not the black tank.

A bowl full of bleach solution shouldn't harm the black tank enzymes much, but you could always add some afterwards to give it a boost.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Lincolnboy2's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Prairie, TX (DFW)
Posts: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reband View Post
I'm sanitizing my fresh water system. I put 1/4 cup bleach per gallon for every 15 gallons of capacity and ran it through the system as per the owners manual. It is supposed to stay in there at least 4 hours. Is it harmful to anything, such as pump, valves, lines, or tank, to leave it in there overnight or longer?

The reason I'm sanitizing is that last time I filled the fresh water tank, I noticed a very strong sulphur smell coming out of the vent tube as the water was going in. (We haven't really used the fresh water much this season, just the city water at campgrounds.) Is this just from some sulphury water I picked up the last time I put water in, or could there be something nasty growing in there?

Thanks

Dan

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W

I had that same foul sulfur smell last year and turned out it was the hot water heater stinking up the water line. Not that that is the case with yours, Dan, but I had to drain my hot water tank, got a little wand and rinsed the heck out of it, lots of crud, small bits of sand, and stalactites and stalagmites (just kidding) came out. No more rotten egg smell afterwards. My fresh water tank water when I took delivery of the coach began to smell like rotten corn, like in a feed lot, it was so gross. I sanitized it just like you did and no more problems since!
__________________
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
HHIDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
Yes run it in the crapper also. You will probably need to put your nose near the hole till you smell a strong odor of bleach. Let it swish around awhile and smell it one more time. If you no longer smell the bleach, then you can empty the black tank.

Good Luck


lol lol
__________________
DanielB
'06 Mountain Aire 4309, ISL 400-CM850, Spartan MMGT
'16 Jeep Wrangler
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I had that same foul sulfur smell last year and turned out it was the hot water heater stinking up the water line. Not that that is the case with yours, Dan, but I had to drain my hot water tank, got a little wand and rinsed the heck out of it, lots of crud, small bits of sand, and stalactites and stalagmites (just kidding) came out. No more rotten egg smell afterwards. My fresh water tank water when I took delivery of the coach began to smell like rotten corn, like in a feed lot, it was so gross. I sanitized it just like you did and no more problems since!
That sulfur odor could well be coming from the water heater. It's a common problem. If your heater has a sacrificial anode, check it out. If it's eaten away much you should replace it. Not all tanks have one, though.
__________________

__________________
A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman!
2011 PALOMINO SABRE SILHOUETTE 260BHS
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.