Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

How long can power cord be?

New member here. We are on the verge of purchasing a new Class A coach, and I am trying my best to do my planning and get things worked out before we take delivery. I have a question about electrical service ............

I am going to have an electrician install a 50 amp outlet in my garage next to the door so I can leave the coach plugged in. I prefer the outlet be installed inside. However, the coach will need a power cord about 30 feet long in order to reach the outlet. Can I purchase a cord of this length, and most importantly is this a safe option?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #2

Most cords that come with the unit are about 20' at minimum, so a small extension should do the trick. No problem with voltage drop with that short of a cable. Just make sure the electrician knows its for an RV.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Yes. you can get the outlet at HD or Lowes. Mount it outside otherwise the door or window will have to be left open to get power. Why do you need 50 amp for the MH if it is parked?? You can get an adaptor at Walmart to convert a regular 15 or 20 amp outlet and heavy duty extension cord to keep power to the RV.

The only reason to have a 50 amp is if you plan to live in the MH or run the AC.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Just make sure the electrician knows its for an RV.
Let me second that. There are more than one 50 amp type outlets on the market and some will cause a lot of problems.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #5

yes, most class As come with a more than adequate length 50a cord, probably 35' or more feet in length. also, you can certainly purchase an additional 50a cord at 25' and 50' lengths just in case - it will also depend on where you park and how you orient your coach - many times I pull INTO a back-in site at rv parks and campgrounds(to get the best view) and run my 50a cord to the panel under the coach to the other side.
There are really not as many 'rules' for rv'ing as you might be lead to believe, sometimes trying something different is a better experience than what the norm might be.
We're in a CA state campground now - in a back-in site, but pulled in, and ran a 30a cord from the 30a pedestal, around the coach, and connected to the 50a coach cord with a 50/30a plug connector. The view is MUCH better!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalgo View Post
New member here. We are on the verge of purchasing a new Class A coach, and I am trying my best to do my planning and get things worked out before we take delivery. I have a question about electrical service ............

I am going to have an electrician install a 50 amp outlet in my garage next to the door so I can leave the coach plugged in. I prefer the outlet be installed inside. However, the coach will need a power cord about 30 feet long in order to reach the outlet. Can I purchase a cord of this length, and most importantly is this a safe option?
Hidalgo
Here's a 30 foot 50A power cord: Camco RV 30' 50-Amp PowerGrip Extension Cord - Walmart.com

Here's a 50' 50A cord: Robot Check

However If you need more than 30' I suggest you get, use and carry 2 shorter 50A cords (so you don't have to wrestle a cumbersome 50 footer every time you go camping).

I carry a 15 foot and a 30 foot 50A cord... as well as a 25' 30A cord... a 25' 15A and a 50' 15A cord and various adapters

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

We had our 50amp oulet installed outside of the garage in outside approved box. Most power cords are 30' to 35' in length. Just make sure you have the service to box for RV, and it is NOT 220 volt. You can search online for correct wiring for 50amp RV service, print and hand to electrician, then do voltage ckecks yourself when done, that's what we did.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
As somewhat stated but not completely clear. Most often the primary purpose for a 50-AMP service is if you plan or need to run both AC's at the same time. With a 50-AMP coach you can just run a 30-AMP plug and cord just don't run both AC's and you will probably be OK.

When your coach is plugged in at home it's primarily used for keeping things charged. Or getting the fridge down to temps for a trip. If it is used for guests on a temporary basis just don't use both AC's. Yes if you live in a warmer climate and need to use both AC's then run the 50-AMP service.

Also the ability to carry large amounts of current is dependent on the wire size and length. The longer the wire the less current it can handle unless you increase the diameter. It should be marked accordingly.

TeJay
Old 01-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #9

THAT is just one reason I came here ........ I didn't know that there was a difference in outlets and it needed to be RV specific. That saved me a ton of heartache more than likely.

I already see that I have a lot to learn and a bunch of reading and research yet to do.

Thanks for all the replies !!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
srh

Monaco Owners Club
I would, too, vote for putting the post outside provided you don't have tear up your garage to do that. You may even be able to put a plug on the wall of your garage on the outside.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #11

Don't worry about your electriction not getting the right receptacle.

It is standard 50 amp 240 volt RV outlet.

Others who say it's different are wrong.

This is old miss-information based on the old 30 amp 120 volt service being miss-wired to 240 volts.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don't worry about your electriction not getting the right receptacle.
It is standard 50 amp 240 volt RV outlet.
Others who say it's different are wrong.
This is old miss-information based on the old 30 amp 120 volt service being miss-wired to 240 volts.
twinboat
Old 01-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #13

Regardless of how you have the box mounted (your house, your call), you will want an extension cord to take with you on trips. It has been rare that I needed it, but I have had to use one. Same with water and sewer hoses, you'll want more than one.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you are using a 50 amp extension cord it is constructed of 6 awg wire. The voltage drop at a full 50 amp load is minimal, 100 ft you drop is 1.7%. The problem comes in though if the feed voltage is already low.

I carry a 25' and 40' 50amp cord. I also have a 100 ft 30 amp cord.

I carry an autotransformer that can correct voltage loss, so when I first plug in if there is a problem I'll hook up the autotransformer to be on the safe side. Also have a hard wired Progressive surge protector that has low voltage monitoring and will drop out at ~108 volts.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power