Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #43

Never heard about keeping the drain hose submerged before. Is this a commonly followed procedure by those in the know to help these things working well? I would sure like hard ice cream again

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #44

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Norcold 61XX original to the fiver. I had to replace the control board three years ago. Other than that, the unit continues to perform flawlessly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #45
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Never heard about keeping the drain hose submerged before. Is this a commonly followed procedure by those in the know to help these things working well? I would sure like hard ice cream again
I think the reason for keeping the end of the hose submerged is to keep warm air from entering the fridge through the drain hose. The problem is keeping the drain cup half full because the purpose of the cup is to evaporate the water that's in it. Our Norcold has a plug with a small hole in it at the end of the hose to let water out, but to keep warm air from entering. The only problem is the hole tends to get clogged with gunk and needs to be cleaned out periodically.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #46
paz

From the responses in this thread, it seems like the older and smaller RV refrigerators don't have near the problems that the newer, larger ones do. I think the manufacturers are pushing the cooling limits with the bigger ones, which tends to shorten the lives of those refrigerators. They have just upsized existing designs.

On the other hand, the Amish cooling unit has design improvements like tubing with thicker walls and an extra loop of coils that seem to be good ideas to improve cooling efficiency and to improve longevity.

BTW, our Norcold 1200 lasted 5 years (4 years of that were full-timing) before the cooling unit failed. Even though we repaired it last year to the tune of $2000+, I am contemplating replacing it with a residential model. I, too, like hard ice cream.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
G.E. 2-way, still going at almost 40 years .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #48

good to hear read neck i do own a rv with toung weight issues so il see the 1200 issues
Old 10-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #49

My 1988 Southwind had 4 (four) new refrigerators in the fifteen years I had it. I guess I just had bad luck with refregerators. All were dometic.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #50

Good thread. Since any motorhome that we might consider will most likely be at least 12 years old, and probably older, I'm pleased to see that we may not have to replace the refrigerator right away.

Somewhere I read that many of the refrigerator fires recently were in rigs that had the refrigerator in a slide. The thought was that refrigerators that were in the slide had to vent the heat out the back of the refrigerator, while those that were not in a slide could vent it straight up. I don't know whether that idea has ever been proven one way or the other.

Perhaps those of you who have gotten long life from your refrigerators could chime in on this. Are your refrigerators mounted in a slide (venting out the back) or not in a slide (venting up to the roof)?
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggholmes View Post
My new 1974 Dometic works great on elect. I haven't checked it on gas yet. It looks worn enough to be original.
37 years
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Norcold exhaust fans both went out after three years and had to be replaced. The thermister lasted five years before it needed replacing. I had two recalls completed. At five and one half years it keeps the refrigerator part in the 30 something degree range and I have actually kept a pint of ice cream in the freezer which did not turn to mush. None of the failures mentioned above occurred until I was at least 700 miles from home and my regular servicing dealer.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #53

more than 'it still works'

I guess it's heartening to hear all these units reported as 'still working after all these years', but here's more info to sink your teeth into:

Here in so fla, summer temps typically run to 110 deg f inside my '88 Allegro 31ft while parked alongside the house, on shore power. Dometic fridge temp runs to 42 during the day, and back down to 38 at night. Under way and while day-camping, the gas still keeps temps no more than 43 during the heat of the day.
Hope this adds to the wealth of info.
br
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #54

2005 Norcold 1200: new cooling unit, new thermistor, and 2 doors have fallen off. None covered by warranty. A residential fridge is on my short list of rig improvements.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #55

Norcold 1210 in a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus. At 2 years, 35,000 miles we started having problems with the fridge cooling. After 2 Amish cooling units, one of which I installed and one installed by a professional in Tucson who actually rebuilds the units, the second Amish unit had the same problems. All the thermistors and garbage replaced with no change. At 60,000 miles and 3 1/2 years I put in a KitchenAid side by side....No problems. Should have done it sooner. The old units were great, but the newer ones are trash. Probably a great company to short. They can't be long for the world.

Pigman

Tags
fridge