Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is not unusual for an older battery to have a slight outward bulge, but "swollen" is definitely not good. It's a judgment call as to when the outward taper becomes "swollen". Sort of like the difference between plump and fat.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
How the heck did We get from Brakes to Batteries?

RobRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #17
Capn Morgan mentioned it about a few posts later .
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #18
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
they test the batteries and then he says that they are fine and they won't replace them. So when I asked him about the brakes, he tells me that they should be fine and I tell him that I want them checked and he sounds like he doens't really want to get his guys to do that, so now I'm getting a little steamed. I've had several conversations with the head of the shop and I kind of trust him, but I'm not happy with the front office.
Sounds like the guy in the shop realizes that he'll be the one dealing with you once the sale is complete BUT right now you're getting the sales dept. "spin".

In today's market, you have the upper hand. Getting an independent inspection is ALWAYS a good idea . . . with what you've said already, I wouldn't proceed without one!
1991 32' Winnebago Itasca
bought used in 2009 - our first
Ken-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
The correct answer to "How long do brakes last" is "Till they wear out" There is no set formula for getting it right.

Some will last almost forever, some will be gone in 10,000 miles. It all depends on how you drive and whether there are mechanical issues that need fixing.

My '05 Ody had over 82,000 miles and the parking brakes weren't working (think I left the parking brake partly on and towed it). So I bought all new rotors, parking brake shoes and pads and tore into it. Found that the parking brake shoes were worn way down and broken. The pads were less than half worn, but since I had the parts and it was torn apart I went ahead and replaced them.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Thanks to the people here, I now realize that inspecting the remaining life of the brake pads is not a big deal. I thought you had to remove the tires and drums, now I know that they can be inspected with a flashlight and In fact should be part of regular trip checklist. I also learned that, while a car's brakes can need replacing in 40,000 mi. It's possible for RV brakes to last 100k mi. Also, since I started the thread, I have found a local mechanic that I have a good feeling about, who also may be able to help with my solar install, so I am no longer totally dependent on the dealer. So thanks again, everyone.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
On my 2000 Flair MH, 60,000 miles, the brake pads had
85 percent left. I replaced them.

I've learned in the car business that age can be a factor. The pads (bonded) had heat cracks and were warpped at the ends.

I replaced them with rivetted pads. The coach stops alot better.

Just my experience.

PS: I mean age in ref. to the parts. Not me, of course
I"m only 70.

Fred, US Army Aviation, 61-70
2002 Itasca Winnebago Ford V10
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote