Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #1

How long do you let your C sit?

If your not taking it out for a trip, how long do you let your C sit before exercising it so it does not get gummed up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I do not have a C but I do pull a 39ft 5er with a one ton diesel. I only use the truck for camping because of the cost of fuel and crappy milage. I usually will get the one ton out about every other week and use it for work for a day or two just to keep everything in good working order. This might be more then needed but it is a good reason to get to use the truck which I really enjoy driving. I want my truck to last forever because it is a pleasure to drive and I do not want to spend all that money to replace it.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
we are lucky that we use it at least monthy
Old 09-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I try to run my engine and gen at least once a month but it is just sitting so no drivetrain movement. I also keep it plug up to shore power all the time to keep up the batteries and leave the fridge on we keep extra milk in it.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It is important to exercise the generator at least once a month, and under a load so that it warms up thoroughly inside. The idea is to drive out mositure that accumulates in the electrical windings.

The coach engine itself doesn't need exercise, but the tires do and so do the seals in the transmission and rear axle, so driving it around every month or two is a good idea. Hard to say how much that contributes the a long and hapy life for those components, though.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #6

Once a month on all of my vehicals and gen sets.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #7

Luckily - We go out once a month also. If we aren't using the generator to run the AC while driving (southern TX), I run it under load as we get it ready to head out.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i drive the rv to work every month/6 weeks. its about 55 miles round trip, and i run the genny and a/c. last week the guys i work with and i had a hot dog lunch in the rv.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had two Class C's and now a Class A. I set the calendar on my computer to do a pop up on the 1st and third Saturday to remind me to start the engine and the generator. Years ago I got negligent and it cost me having to have it wreckered to the shop,the gas tank pulled , cleaned andcoated and a new carb, filter and plug on the generator. $$$$$$$. Until I got the A, I did it monthly. Even with the pop up calendar, I still screwed up and had the carburetor foul out and have to be replaced. Service tech thought it was because I was not running it long enough and with the heat out here, the fuel was evaporating in the lines and bowl. At his recommendation I had a fuel shut off installed on the fuel line to the genny last week. Now when I shut it down for my bi monthly run ups, I'll will use the fuel shut off and make it run out of gas instead of using the kill switch. No more trouble that it is, I think I'm going to take it out and run it around the block a couple of times in addition to the run up.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2005 Class "C" or B + Winnie Aspect witha V10 and I run it every 2 wks and usually take a short trip once a month. If not taking a short trip, I run it around the block or to get fuel to excersize the brakes etc. I've read where the Ford chassis can have a problem with the brakes hanging up if you do not use them on a regular basis ( at least every 2 months). it seems some owners had corrision in the brake lines and wheel cylinders causing the front brakes to hang up and burn the lining off runining the rotors. Must be a rare occurance, but I can't afford to do repairs that I can possibly prevent.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use ours at least once a month, I check or I should say fill the battery's about every other month. Unless we go boondocking we start and run at least once a month.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It is important to exercise the generator at least once a month, and under a load so that it warms up thoroughly inside. The idea is to drive out mositure that accumulates in the electrical windings.

The coach engine itself doesn't need exercise, but the tires do and so do the seals in the transmission and rear axle, so driving it around every month or two is a good idea. Hard to say how much that contributes the a long and hapy life for those components, though.
Didn't think about axles and trans. Just wondered about motor fuel system? Looks like there is lots to keep in shape.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
I've had two Class C's and now a Class A. I set the calendar on my computer to do a pop up on the 1st and third Saturday to remind me to start the engine and the generator. Years ago I got negligent and it cost me having to have it wreckered to the shop,the gas tank pulled , cleaned andcoated and a new carb, filter and plug on the generator. $$$$$$$. Until I got the A, I did it monthly. Even with the pop up calendar, I still screwed up and had the carburetor foul out and have to be replaced. Service tech thought it was because I was not running it long enough and with the heat out here, the fuel was evaporating in the lines and bowl. At his recommendation I had a fuel shut off installed on the fuel line to the genny last week. Now when I shut it down for my bi monthly run ups, I'll will use the fuel shut off and make it run out of gas instead of using the kill switch. No more trouble that it is, I think I'm going to take it out and run it around the block a couple of times in addition to the run up.

Wow, how long did you leave it set to have to get all that repair work done to it?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #14

i move my coach at least once a week i store it in my shop for that reason, it's in the dry protected from the sun and in my way.
i have to move it to use the shop or get the mower out so it gets started every week. i take it for a fifty mile drive every month that it doesn't get to go camping, has advantages the alternator went out an i caught and repaired it before the dw wanted to go camping.
it's gen set went down but i run my others ,one home back up runs once a month and other powers tools while building new house it runs weekly if all goes well.