Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

How long should a warranty job take? Replacing awning arm

Our awning arm keeps jamming while folding up, and eventually bent. Took it in for a warranty arm replacement. It has been gone for three weeks.

Approximately how long should a job like this take?

I could have ordered the part and done it in my driveway in about 15 minutes, but Rockwood told me if I fixed it myself it would void my warranty, and told me to take it to a local repair shop.

Now we have a hurricane possibly coming our way and our escape pod is sitting in a repair shop's yard...
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #2

"Warranty Work" is what the dealers tend to do when they have "Spare" time. When you approach the dealership concerning the work, try to insist that they order the parts, then when the parts are in to call you and then you will bring it in. Attempt to get a time frame when you do bring it in.

That said, getting warranty work done at the typical dealership is kinda like herding cats.

Consider calling them and 1. seeing if they have the part, 2. give them a couple of days, or less, then tell them you are going to pick up your unit.

If that doesn't work, --- Do it.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #3

I had an awning arm sticking, sprayed everything with copious amounts of silicone lube and slowly worked it until everything began sliding properly. That is now on my monthly "to-do" list. It's been 2 years now without it breaking. (wipe off excess silicone, it's a dirt magnet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
"Warranty Work" is what the dealers tend to do when they have "Spare" time. When you approach the dealership concerning the work, try to insist that they order the parts, then when the parts are in to call you and then you will bring it in. Attempt to get a time frame when you do bring it in.

That said, getting warranty work done at the typical dealership is kinda like herding cats.

Consider calling them and 1. seeing if they have the part, 2. give them a couple of days, or less, then tell them you are going to pick up your unit.

If that doesn't work, --- Do it.
Now Camping World tells repair customers "If you need your RV come get it, bring it back when you can and we'll complete repairs".
Sounds like if you time it right, you can work it to get some free storage in cold weather.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The length of the actual work has almost nothing to do with the time needed to get it through the shop work schedule. Warranty or not, they have their own priorities, starting with new deliveries (work needed to complete a sale), followed by whatever "squeaky wheel" has made enough noise to get some grease. So start squeaking!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

My initial intent was to drive it there, let them inspect it, and drive it home until the work was ready. They insisted that they keep it for further inspection.

I will give them a call monday.

As for the silicone lube, that will be part of the routine from now on. That aluminum-to-aluminum sliding is just a recipe for galling and catching. Which it did.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #6

Well, got it back. Finally. Timing was good, because I had an apointment to get the brake controller hooked up on my truck today, and they called saying the awning job was finished yesterday. So all the stars aligned for me this afternoon.

No issues on the warranty job, other than they called me a couple days after I dropped it off and were going to give me the cost of the job, when I interrupted and told them that if I was going to pay for it, I would have ordered the parts and done it myself. Once they realized it was a warranty job, no problems afterward.

Tags
awning