Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

How long will my batteries last?

I have 2 Group 24 deep cycle batteries on my RV. If I plan to run my TV, through the built-in inverter, how long should I expect those batteries to last?

I should have minimal other current draw as the fridge will be running off propane and shouldn't have any lights on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess the easiest way to find out is to "camp" in your MH overnight and see how long it takes to run your batteries down to 12.1 volts. The refrigerator does use electricity, as well as the water pump. There are other parasitic loses as well. If you use the heater, the batteries will draw down even faster. Winnebago loves using Group 24 batteries. You probably have about 60-75 AH available at 50% SOC. I upgraded my 2 G24 batteries to 4 GC2s, because I was tired of the G24s always running down.

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #3

Your question can not be answered with any kind of certainty. You need to know how much the TV draws, how many hours you will use it, what other current draws are making known and residual demand on the batteries, (your refer probably ignites on 12v as does your water heater, any alarms etc.), how many amp hours in your battery bank, how many lights will you use and for how long. The quick and honest answer is, who knows. You'll have to experiment, and if you do, try to run on a single one of your dual batteries so that you have some current left when you need it.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

If your batteries are fully charged and if you have 70 amp/hrs before you get to 50% you have about 23 hours of TV use if that was the only thing you did with the batteries. (Assuming about 3amp draw)

You really need a battery monitor IMHO.
You also could educate yourself by reading some of HandyBob's blog;
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

Batteries are doomed to a premature death when they are not properly charged. Solar is one way to do this properly.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Two Group 24 batteries give you about 80 Amp-hours of run time, but without knowing the tv power draw through the inverter, and the number of hours you will watch tv, it is impossible to guess. A typical 32" LCD tv uses 100-125 watts, which means an hour of runtime uses about 10 amp-hours (10A @ 12v = 120 watts/hour).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmas View Post
I have 2 Group 24 deep cycle batteries on my RV. If I plan to run my TV, through the built-in inverter, how long should I expect those batteries to last?
I should have minimal other current draw as the fridge will be running off propane and shouldn't have any lights on.
tmas
One way to get more hours from your batteries is to use a small energy efficient inverter to run your TV rather than your built-in inverter.

When boondocking and/or when overnighting without shore power I use one like this to run my TV and my DirecTV receiver.... (have been since 2006).
VECTOR MAXX 400 Watt DC to AC Power Inverter 800 Watt Peak - VEC024 | eBay

It wastes less battery power than the 2000 watt inverter in my on-board, (built-in), Heart Freedom 20 inverter/charger.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles

Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
batteries