Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #15

I think the water has been in the ground more than a few weeks.If the tank is clean the water you put in it should be clean too.I sterilize my tank a couple times a year and use a sediment filter when filling.Some use the water to wash but not drink.If it is not safe to drink how will it clean you?
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
We use the Water tank as a way to increase the pressure at some CG when we are spending more than a few days. Two reasons 1. always replacing the water in the tank, that way nothing gets a chance to go bad and 2. to increase the the water pressure when taking a shower, we also leave the city connection on.
When dry camping we get about 14 days out of a tank of water. We look around for the water machines that you fill your own bottles at for drinking and cooking.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Am I the only one who does not worry about water? I live rural and have had my well water tested but don't remember that I have ever sanitized RV water tanks in many years of RV'ing. I'm not saying you shouldn't and maybe I'd be in better shape if I had but we are still going strong. I guess I'll add that to my list of things to do.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Drill a new well in Texas and you'll worry about it. Especially if you're spending 20k on a new well and the well companies don't guarantee that you'll hit water, nor do they guarantee water quality. And once drilled, you need to determine what is in the water before you can treat it properly.

This is in contrast to a well in Michigan, which is at about 15 feet and has never had a quality issue.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #19

Just remember this..all the filtering in the world is not going to remove organisms. I think the 1/3 cup of bleach is the right answer.

The water can be red, yellow, brown, or blue and if their are no organisms you probably won't die from drinking it. I personally would not, however, if water is clear and has been chlorine treated, I would have no problem.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
As we don't like drinking Chlorine (at home) - we use UV light instead. This prevents organism reproduction without burning your eyes out. In an RV, boondocking, I think I'd do the same thing - a reverse osmosis setup with a small UV light (all under the sink).
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
All the water we drink today is in the area of 5 billion years old. There is no such thing as new water.

With tank sanitized once a year, I don't worry about it....well, city whatever. Bacteria and alge is not going to grow/multiply without some organics to feed on.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #22

Probably a lot of right/wrong answers to this question but mine is I NEVER store water in my motorhome. Getting ready to leave the CG, I'll pump the tank almost (leave 4 - 5 gallons) and treat that when I get home to run it through the lines.

Next trip, I'll put in 4 - 5 gallons of water (cup of bleach) to swish around. Assuming CG water, I'll connect direct and pump out the lines then 1/3rd tank and pump that out.

Sounds like a lot of fooling around, but until you've experienced Campilobactor (sp?), and been hauled off to the ER by the very nice EMT's .... well, not fun. It hurt far (short term) more than the three rounds out of the business end of a AK-47 going through me.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water