Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

How mad should I be? What would you do?

So .... 2 months ago we bought a 2008 Sunova 35J from a large RV dealer who guarantees the RV and systems will be in perfect order upon delivery plus the first 30 days of ownership. Well after delivery we took our new unit out for a weekend trip as a shack down trip and noticed a few minors things that were broke including a Norcold refrigerator that won't cool when on Gas Mode.

After our return I scheduled the 30-day warrantee repair and about 4 days later they called and said "it's all good". Well, a couple weeks later I'm getting the RV ready for a quick weekend trip and sure enough the refrigerator won't cool in gas mode. No refrigerator for this trip and another half-day missed from work and a $40 cab ride home because I had to leave the RV.

Another 4 days go by and we get a call saying the COntrol board was bad so they replaced it. I was on a business trip and asked the service advisor to keep the refrigerator running on gas mode for an extra day so I could see for myself the unit was actually cooling in Gas Mode. When I arrived the refrigerator was shut off so I had no choice but to trust the repair was made. Well after bring it back to our storage lot I decided to turn it on in gas mode and let it cool for a day or so to make sure it was indeed fixed.

Well I go back this afternoon and IT"S STILL NOT COOLING. To say that I'm mad is an understatement. So far, they have had 3 chances to identify or fix the problem and each time they have failed. First thing Monday morning I'm going to give te service manager a call and give him hell. I will loose another half-day of work and most likely another $40 cab ride home.

Question is ---- do I demand they replace the refrigerator? What would you all recommend or how would you handle this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, I would bring it back and let us know who the dealer is! This forum is far reaching and you should also let your dealer know your progress or lack of is being posted on the forum for others to learn.

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

Lazy Days in Seffner, Florida
Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How long are you letting it cool before checking it on gas. You need a minimum of 12 hours with nothing in the frig to get it cold. The freezer will start cooling first.

IF you are giving a reasonable amount of time to cool, then back to the dealer and let them take you home or pay for the cab.

Ken
Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

Check that there is gas getting to it.

Are you sure there is gas in the line? Turn your stove on and light it. Sometimes there is air in the line and the fridge won't start unless you clear it. It all depends on if someone turned off the propane before turning off the fridge. If you have trouble starting the stove keep trying till you get gas through. Then you still may have to turn the fridge switch on and off a few times until you hear it kick in. Should sound like a whoosh and burning type sound.

If it is turning on and you can hear it going but still doesn't cool then you should be really mad. Next time you take it in insist they drive you home. You can demand they replace the refrigerator but I doubt they would do as refrigerators are expensive. Ours seems to cool pretty quick. Next time you pick it up have them prove to you it is working and don't leave with it unless they can. There may be a trick to getting yours going that you aren't familiar with.

Good luck!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
Are you sure there is gas in the line? Turn your stove on and light it. Sometimes there is air in the line and the fridge won't start unless you clear it. It all depends on if someone turned off the propane before turning off the fridge. If you have trouble starting the stove keep trying till you get gas through. Then you still may have to turn the fridge switch on and off a few times until you hear it kick in. Should sound like a whoosh and burning type sound.

If it is turning on and you can hear it going but still doesn't cool then you should be really mad. Next time you take it in insist they drive you home. You can demand they replace the refrigerator but I doubt they would do as refrigerators are expensive. Ours seems to cool pretty quick. Next time you pick it up have them prove to you it is working and don't leave with it unless they can. There may be a trick to getting yours going that you aren't familiar with.

Good luck!
Michelle

Yea I'm sure the gas line was air free because I've got into a habit of lighting the stove before turning on the refrigerator. Also, the unit was running for close to 18 hours which should be plenty of time to reach proper temperature.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

I think you'll get your best results staying professional. Minimize the need for explanations. They never fix a thing - and are generally either a cover up or outright blatant lies. Refuse to listen to them. You really do not care why it's still not working.

Instead, your focus should be working towards/emphatically demanding a new course of action - to be taken care of at their expense - and done post haste. Cab rides should be on the house.... and a filled tank of gasoline/propane not beyond expectations at this point to pay for lost time at work. That's just me though...
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #8

Taxi fare both ways. From their shop and back to shop to pick up your repaired vehicle. If they haven't left refer on for you to check, take taxi back home again until they have left refer on. That's not asking too much,for the guarantee they said you have. They don't have qualms to charge you prices so charge them equally as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #9

Just a bit of advice here;
Remove the inspection cover on the outside of your motorhome and turn the refrigerater on gas; look and see if you can see a small flame burning under the flue of the refrigerator; should be about an inch high and blue.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetnBusy View Post
Lazy Days in Seffner, Florida
I think that posting the dealership is a wise idea. This is the price of doing business - either they want to stay in business and are professional and honest about their dealings - or they are not and should expect the consequences.

I think you've been more than patient. However, I agree that it can still be approached in a civil manner. As I've always thought, just because others are falling to a lower level doesn't mean I have to follow them. State your case, insist on complete satisfaction, and hold them to it. It's their job to honor their word (even if not stated on a new RV sale).
Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
I think that posting the dealership is a wise idea. This is the price of doing business - either they want to stay in business and are professional and honest about their dealings - or they are not and should expect the consequences.
I've only been a member of iRV2 for about a year & 1/2...been a lurker a bit longer. When we were looking to buy our RV, I saw enough complaints(here and at other sites) about sales/service related to Lazy Days that we never considered going there...we live not too far from them.

I'm sure the local management would love to have a team of top notch mechanics, but in this economy, it's my belief that they are not going to pay the price for that level of proficiency because it's not conducive with the bottom line they would like to see. If a business is fortunate enough to get a a well trained mechanic, it does't take long for them to go where they are better rewarded for their level of proficiency. You get what you pay for... It's a business practice of epidemic proportions. When was the last time you found a truly 'professional' behind a counter that knew their company's products top to bottom or could find needed information? It's a rare breed indeed.

As others have said, your best chance of a successful conclusion to your problem is to remain as professional and courteous(but firm) as possible(maybe they will follow suit). The last thing you need is locking horns with an LD employee that can make a bad situation worse. After achieving the best level of satisfaction, give them the level of your future business you think they deserve.

As far as demanding free transportation to and from...I wouldn't push that one...it might, but don't think it will happen with Lazy Days. Good luck. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
As was pointed out, look at the fire. If it lights, it will cool (assuming it cools on A/C)
Our norcold cools down pretty quick.

As for lazydays, we bought there, and drove our tradein from chicago to do it.
Place is freeking huge with a capitol H. Unreal. Our experience there had some good and some bad. We had one big unexpected not previously known issue (previous owner had cut off his cycle lift, and the traler hitch with it!) that they took care of with an outside vender, immediately and professionally.

A few small "punchlist items" that were known before we went down there, they just stalled and waited us out, we ran out of time and took the unit without the repairs done.

Make em fix the fridge, even if you have to camp in thier parking lot till you are sure it's done right.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure if this will rattle their cage at all, but if you call your local TV station's "Consumer Affairs" reporter and give them the background, they might roll up in a news van just after you go to pick up the unit. That may have a more lasting incentive on your service manager...
Old 07-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey
Not sure if this will rattle their cage at all, but if you call your local TV station's "Consumer Affairs" reporter and give them the background, they might roll up in a news van just after you go to pick up the unit. That may have a more lasting incentive on your service manager...
Well they said they replaced a baffle in the burner plus replaced the propane regulator. I'm picking it up tomorrow morning and it is supposed to be running on Gas Mode when I get there. Hopefully this ends my trouble.