Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Smile How many clothes to pack...

Ok so this is our first snow bird winter in Arizona. We are going to Bullhead City this year. Now, my question is this...how much clothing should I pack? Will I really need winter type clothing, i.e. the type I wear in Washington State?

I am thinking not, but I don't want to take a bunch of stuff I will never wear. Any advice, especially from the ladies, since we have a tendency to over pack most of the time anyway. LOL

Thanks ladies for you advice and help.

Lee and Cat
2006 Gulf Stream Crescendo, 36ft Diesel Pusher
3 cats; Howie, Maya and Cali; Washington State
CatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally speaking, lay out all the clothes you think you'll need. Cut the pile in half and leave behind. After a year (if you are a full timer), throw out all the clothes you haven't used in that time.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
CatLee, I could've posted the same question! We plan to go to Yuma this winter. When I checked the high/low temps for the winter down there, the highs are in the low to mid 60's (warming up as spring nears) & lows were in the low to mid 50's. We live casually here at home & we're planning for the same when we travel.

I'm taking jeans, my yoga pants, sweaters & tees, a pair of hiking boots & comfortable camp shoes. We'll have flannel sheets on the bed and one of the Pendleton blankets (with a spare just in case) & warm pj's. A couple of warm jackets, a warm knit cap & a pair of gloves just in case. I'm not taking a single thing tht's dressy--casual comfort are my key words.

The learning curve is steep right now, isn't it? I think next year we'll have a much clearer idea of what to take. Best wishes to you for a very relaxed winter...and let's hope there's no snow in the Siskiyous on the way down! Safe travels!
Jim, Dawn & Ari--our four-footed traveling companion
2014 Nash 24M
2006 Chevy Duramax with Equalizer Hitch
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
What great advice, bdickson!
Jim, Dawn & Ari--our four-footed traveling companion
2014 Nash 24M
2006 Chevy Duramax with Equalizer Hitch
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

Bruce, great advice!
I must add that coats and such can come in handy going to and from oyour home. Never know when Mother Nature may turn on you.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After 4 years of both of us living in a 1987 23 ft Toyota Dolphin in the early '90s while I was stationed down in AZ, selecting clothing for combined summer and winter RV carry doesn't seem to be that big a problem to us anymore. My basic rule of thumb for our "get up and go" style of RVing, is enough under garments and outer clothing to keep the dreaded wash day down to once a week. In addition to what I wear when departing, three pair of daily wear blue jean, two pair of Sunday go to meeting jeans with a long and short sleeve western shirt, two long sleeve and sleeveless blue jean shirts and two each short and long sleeve cargo type shirts as outer wear over my ever worn tee shirts. I also keep a weeks worth of long sleeve T Shirts for winter wear. For foot wear, I wear hiking boots while traveling, but also carry a pair of dress boots, sneakers, house shoes, sandals and flip flops. We both have the insulated (long underwear looking material) zip up hoodies for cold weather and a couple of sweat shirts. For her wear, pretty much the ladies equivalent to what I carry, but more of most items, especially blouses, pants and shoes plus she prefers to wear shorts during the summer. This past summer I added to carry more in dress wear as while on the last trip back to Texas, the wife's Mother passed away and I had to make a quick trip to Sheplers to buy proper darker clothing to attend the funeral. Just don't short yourself, I feel that it's better to have a few extra items of clothing than to have to dash out to buy a few things.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Bullhead City can have some cold windy days. Definitely pack a medium jacket and a windbreaker. Depending on you, you might also want to pack a hat and gloves and hope you won't have to use them. As someone stated, you do have to plan for your trip down and back, also, and you might have rain, wind or even some snow enroute.

Layering is the best way to go so one piece can be used different ways. A couple pairs of shorts would be helpful if you're there in March when it gets warmer. Otherwise, light clothing will be fine.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
Bullhead city can be very cold, in the twenties with 50 mph winds especially up top where the majority of free campers stay. Not to be alarmist but this winter is predicted to be one of the coldest on record. On the bright side there are any number of thrift shops there if you need warmer stuff.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #9

A little bit depends on how close you are to a washer/ dryer. If you have one in your coach , you can cut down a lot. But as others have said , Bullhead City, actually the whole Colorado River corridor , gets windy , and can get cold. Good shopping in Bullhead and Laughlin, at least that's what my DW says when she drags me up there. Dec. & Jan. can be downright miserable or great, pretty wild swings in temps.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote