Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

How many full timers?

Has anyone ever determined what percentage of folks live full time in their RVs? I am particularly interested in owners of large diesel pushers. Also I would include six months or more at a time (snowbirds) as full timing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
soon to be 3/4 timer in a Excel 5er

Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I suggest you post a new thread with a survey/poll. That would help give some easy to read numbers.

Here is a suggestion...

Question - How much time do you spend in your RV? (The way this is worded doesn't filter out DPs but I think is still worth considering)

1. 12 months - I'm a full timer.
2. 9-11 months - Almost full time.
3. 6-8 months - mostly as a second home/snow bird
4. 3-5 months - Long vacations and/or snow bird use.
5. 0-2 months - Weekends and vacations.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
It is estimated, nationwide, that are between one million and two million "full timers." I have never seen any hard numbers.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks
It is estimated, nationwide, that are between one million and two million "full timers." I have never seen any hard numbers.
Sounds about right. Give or a take a million. :
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
The thing with stats like this is the definitions. What's an RV? What's a full-timer?

Are we talking about people in trailers working the oil fields in North Dakota and Texas? Are we talking about broken down trailers in park somewhere. Not trying to be a snob, just saying that what my perception of the full time RV lifestyle is might not match whomever is counting the stats.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
The thing with stats like this is the definitions. What's an RV? What's a full-timer?

Are we talking about people in trailers working the oil fields in North Dakota and Texas? Are we talking about broken down trailers in park somewhere. Not trying to be a snob, just saying that what my perception of the full time RV lifestyle is might not match whomever is counting the stats.
When I got out of high school I considered myself a fulltimer living in my 1948 ford.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #8

My wife and I are full timers since April 2013. We are new to the RV world, and had never even been in one before. Then we sold the house and everything we own. We now live on the road and have a 1994 34' diesel pusher. It is taking some work, but we are making it our own.

We love this lifestyle and cant wait to see more of the country! If you're interested in more about us, you should check out our site. The link is below, and all our adventures are there. We think it is an interesting read
Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
The CBS Early Show had a story about fulltime living in an RV a few years ago. They stated the about one and a half million people are living in an RV fulltime. They also said that the number of older people living in an RV was increasing.... You might wat to research it at CBS.com
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This responce sounds absurd but you can check it out on thier website,
According to the Washington Drivers Lic. Full timers are considered homeless and cannot have a DL, because they have no real address.
There is one provision (Really states this on thier site) "A homeless person can get a DL and list thier address as "Under a Bridge".
As stupid as this sounds, it's real.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the 2000 census there was a category called "other non-standard housing" defined as boats, recreation vehicles and other such residences which have no permanent physical address. Based upon the 2000 census that number was estimated to be 260,000 people. How many in that category are full time RVers is unknown. My best guess would be maybe 3/4 are. That would mean that there are about 200,000.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have just started on the full timing as of July 25th of this year. Am spending a little over a month at a campgrounds about 25 miles from home, just to make sure I have everything that I need before leaving for the IRV2 Rally in Iowa. Will be on the road to a few other places until sometime in late October to mid November. Then will be snowbirding in Florida until at least April, from there things are up in the air. Have a 30' 5er.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #13

Well going back to the op's original question of "how many are in large diesel pushers", I seriously doubt that any census broke it down by RV category. To most people anything that can be driven or towed is an RV, no distinction between them. That's just my perception from experiences talking or interacting with people. I personally am a 85%er as I stay in the MH (37' DP) Monday through Friday every week (and half the weekends she's with me) and even then vacations are in it so maybe it's a higher percentage! Been doing this for a year and a half now.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
full time for over 5 years (yes 24x7x365). did it by choice; voluntarily sold the house and furnishings. lovin' every minute of it.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time