Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
I like to get to my destination as soon as possible. This will likely change when I retire but as stated earlier, time on the road is wasted vacation time when you only have 10 days.
My longest drive was Perpignan in the south of France to York, England. About 20 hours total including ferry crossing and nearly 1,000 miles. This was towing a 23ft camper with an Expedition.
I would rather do that and have an extra day to rest than take 2 or 3 days.
Like I said, when I retire, the journey will be the vacation and we can take our time in the getting there.

Chris, Jo & Dell (Siberian Husky - 110lb of fur and muscle)
2003 Beaver Santiam 40DST - Cummins 330ISC
Closely followed by a 2012 Equinox AWD
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #16
We have 2 modes. The first is simply transportation mode. The lady and our 2 dogs are using the MH to get from point A to pont B. We've been over the route a hundred times and it's gotten to the point that while we don't mind the drive too much, we'd rather be there? We'll be on the road by 9, stop for a break around 1:00, and off the road between 4 and 5. We'll run 350 to 450 miles like that. It's usually 98% freeway.

The other mode is 'adventure' mode. That's the fun one, and there's no attempt at even acting like we're in a hurry to get anywhere. We may go 75 miles or maybe up to 250-300? On the road by 10:00 or so, off the road when we get there....

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I am traveling from point A to point B like jzick said I try to leave about 9:00 AM and I quit between 4:00 & 5:00 PM. Sometimes we stop for lunch & sometimes we don't. After we stop we usualy go find a place to have a nice dinner then relax for awhile watch the news go to bed and start all over again the next day. The distance we travel depends on what we see along the way and how long we stay there. Before I retired we always took a two week vacation with a direction to go and a final destination and that place was alway home. We always wanted to go somewhere like Seatle,LA,Barharbor and so on but we were never able to get there because of every thing there was to see in between. Now that we are retired we hve been to all those places and look forward to many more like Newfoundland.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
Freightliner Owners Club
I wish we could only drive 250 miles but with the way the working world is changing its hard to have any time off. So its push to get there to enjoy what little time off we have!
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #19
I like to do no more than 300 to 350 miles per day at the maximum. With rest stops about every two hours, we will walk for 5 to 10 minís at every rest stop. This is between 6 and 7 hours of being on the road. I am usually on the road around 8 to 8:30AM DW request to get going early. We are both morning people so this is easy for us. I also try and avoid any travel on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays with the 5er; too many people on the road in a hurry either to get there or to get home.

Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like to keep it at 5 hours but sometimes I just can't help myself. We left the other day at 6:00 am and ended up driving 412 miles and checked in a CG at 2:00. It was a beautiful travel day and my preferred speed of 60-62 was obtainable the whole trip. I didn't want to check in at 11:00 am. I must say , it made the rest of the trip ( 220 ) the next day seem like 1/2 a day

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
We are retired also. On our travel days,we might go 200-250 miles. Then, we settle in to a national park, state park, or a fraternal organization. Depending on the area and site, we might stay for 2-3 days. We spent 3 weeks in the forest near Butte MT.
Traveling that way allows us to throughly see an area and spreads the fuel cost out over a longer period of time. I did not choose to go full time in an RV to see how many miles I could drive in a day, I chose it to see how many wonderful things I could see. And, D---, is it fun!!!!
Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #22
Appalachian Campers
For us, it all depends on weather, road and traffic. On a beautiful spring day with light traffic on I-90 west I can easily drive 500 miles. On a windy, rainy day on I-75 through Atlanta and north, I am ready for a stop as soon as I get past Chattanooga. On a multi-day trip it takes about two days to get into the travel groove. By day three we are acclimated and can log some miles
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #23
There are some very good reasons why you should not spend to much time behind the wheel. I will do 300 miles a day with multiple rest stops to stretch my legs and exercise. I will not go more than 6 hours of driving a day. Not only does your attention to driving taper off but it is not good for your body to sit in one place for very long. Coming back from AZ two years ago I got a Deep Vein clot in my leg that my Dr. advised could have been fatal. I now drink lots of water which thins the blood and forces me to take breaks. The time limits are also a stress reducer in that I am no longer putting pressure on myself to acheive a difficult goal of 400-500 miles a day.
Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
as many as it takes...our vacation time is limited due to not being retired
96 Dynasty 36' that does NOT wander, thanks to RuppParts.com and their superior "poly" suspension bushings
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
It depends for us. Last year we did 200 or so mph days until we got past a certain point in our trip and then we did 1100 miles in about 12 to 14 hours. Thou after that trip around the country we decided that we would NEVER try to visit every family member again at one time.
But then there were times we went from Jacksonville, FL to Buffalo, NY in about 15 hours. That was not in an RV thou but in a car/truck/van. Those were need to get there ASAP thou because of hospital and funeral situations.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #26

The Joy of being Retired.

We have the 3-3-3 Rule.

Drive no more than 3 hours. (3 hours of driving equates to about 4-5 hours of travel)
In Camp by 3PM.
And finally, 3 Rum & Cokes for Happy Hour.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
Except for the day we're headed home and getting onto familiar roads, we usually limit ourselves to 200 miles a day. We're retired and travel to see things on the way with no specific destinations in mind, usually.

Our normal plan is to leave home Sunday morning, so we get to the CG as the worker bees are headed back to the hive for Monday morning's grind. Most times, we stay out until Friday, then head home. On longer trips, we try to stay in one place from Friday afternoon through Sunday morning. We try to stay home in July and early August to avoid the crowds. It helps living in a place like Anacortes!
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
We have no real set miles or time periods. We usually cover 250 to 300 miles a day. By then our butts are numb, we're getting hungry and the cats need a break from their travel cages (with litter pans). We look for a truck stop, rest area or WalMart to park for the night. Being retired we're in no mad hurry to get anywhere.

BTW, we do make stops every 45 minutes or so to stretch our legs, get something to drink from the RV, use the toilet etc.

Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote