Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
We limit ourselves to 3 or 4 hours a day and try to stay in each area for 2 or 3 days to explore. There is rarely an area that you can not actively explore several days. We usually have the most fun when exploring in the toad.

Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
The Feds will be looking at making RVer's log their mileage in a meeting coming up in early June. I had the email with the information and the article, but erased it. Who knows what they will do. I imagine that if there is money to be made, they'll try to approve it. Imagine carrying and tracking your mileage and stops in a log book.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We do what we feel like depending on the plan we make at breakfast. It also depends on where we are going and when we need to be there. As one poster said 1100 miles in 12 to 14 hours that's putting the hammer down on the old girl. Jim
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #32
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
My goal is around 200 miles or 4 hours.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #33
Damon Owners Club
I agree

I agree that this is subjective and impacted by things along the way. Having said that, I went 12 k miles on a 2012 trip with no set agenda. But I found most days, most, not all, I was most comfortable with about 450-500 miles under my belt at the end of the day. Usually set up and having dinner before sundown and ready for whatever the following day may bring.

I just started the 2013 trip, and the first week has been mostly along the same lines.

Good luck and have fun in your travels.
Dan (Mack) (Former Outlaw owner, looking for a new ride!), w/2012 F150 FX4 and a 2012 Street Glide.
BpK9Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #34
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I spent about 11 hours driving to accomplish 575 miles today. With breakfast, lunch, rest stops and fueling I'm talking 13 hours on the road. It's the end of the day and I'm feeling like I pushed too long and too far to be calling this a vacation.
So I'm wondering what other people set as their object for mileage, or hours on the road every day. I understand this is totally subjective, and everyone will have a story about a heroic effort to get somewhere on time. What I'm hoping to hear about is the ideal objective to balance the need to arrive with an attitude of enjoying the trip.
Start at 9:00 am, off the road by 4:00 pm. This includes rest stops, breaks, etc. Does not matter about miles.
2016 THOR Tuscany XTE 36MQ
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
Being retired I drive no more than 250 miles per day. I am also one that never drives into a campground and leaves the next day. I have always stayed a minimum of 2 nights as we always explore the area. Made a trip from Florida to Alaska and back following those rules. Worked out great as we were on the road 10 months.
The key is Retired, otherwise I can see having to increase the miles per day.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #36
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We like to plan for around 350 miles a day. We are retired, but we have a limited time to travel and must have a schedule. Recently pushed a 460 mile day, 350 is so much better. I remember younger days....work all day until 5:00 pm then hit the road and drive all night. Maybe 700 miles. Another thing on a long list of stupid things we did when we were young. :-)
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #37
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
The Feds will be looking at making RVer's log their mileage in a meeting coming up in early June. I had the email with the information and the article, but erased it. Who knows what they will do. I imagine that if there is money to be made, they'll try to approve it. Imagine carrying and tracking your mileage and stops in a log book.
Not really a bad idea for us to begin doing it now ... useful data to accompany trip pictures, etc.
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #38
We are retired, so no pressure to get "there" unless weather is chasing us or we have a reservation. 2-300 miles are usually fine! We WalMart for 2 days or so, then campground for one or two nights until we get to the destination area, then it's at least a week at a state park. BUT we have driven 14 hours to get home ahead of a predicted snowstorm which NEVER arrived.
15 Vegas with a red toad
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Still working full time. My trips are destination based, usually to a drag boat race. I feel very comfortable at 500 mi (9hr), 600 mi is pushing it. My longest, 789 mi (16 hr) was brutal and unsafe and I will never do it again. Of course I drive my same TV 100-200 mi every work day, usually in heavy traffic, so towing the 5th wheel is almost relaxing.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #40
Winnebago Owners Club
DW says when we are heading home after a long trip, I am like a horse heading for the barn. Nothing stops me. Longest drive was about 825 miles; west of Beaumont, TX to home. I was younger then.
Some truth to that, but it is the exception. Don't like to do more than 300 miles normally.
Sealevel Ram, 2004 Ultimate Freedom
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Sealevel Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #41
We are retired and try to take two trips of two months each year. We plan on 250 mile days with a few up to 300. If we have had hookups it seems hard for us to get on the road before 10 AM! After fuel and lunch we are in the cg by 4. 50 mph seems to be a reliable average.
By noon we will have called ahead for that night's reservation. Every few days we will stay for 2 or 3 nights for exploration. Luvin' the travel days as well as the time in the toad.
If we have to start keeping a log book we can plan on adding at least 30 minutes to our travel days. Maybe I can talk mama into keeping the log....
Fred & Mary RVM135
2012 Dutch Star 3735 ISL 400
2012 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 4x4
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #42
Monaco Owners Club
We drive from Houston, Texas to Indianapolis, Indiana once or twice a year to visit family. I drive to West Memphis the first day, which usually takes about 10-11 hours for us, and complete the trip the second day which is about 8-9 hours. For other trips, tho, I usually limit the driving time to 6-7 hours, depending on how everyone feels. Like one poster mentioned, we reserve ahead and depend on reviews from RVParkreviews and other sources.

US Army Major, Retired
'08 Monaco Diplomat SFT,
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote