Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After years of drive from "can to can't" to get where we were going and make it back home so we could go back to work after a vacation, I finally realized that being retired, my week is comprised of 6 Saturdays followed by a Sunday and even when on the road, we try to find a local Church to attend. I strive to balance a mileage goal of 300 to 350 miles against 6 1/2 to 7 hours and the time frame is to include the time it takes to fill up the rig at the end of our day. I'm giving serious consideration to shortening both the time and miles. I love getting off the road, pulling out the lawn chairs, firing up the grill and having a couple of cold Buds and watching as the sun sets, the stars start to pop out and watching those who push it until they reach the "can't" and wearily pull in to the park.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
As an aside, I will love to see the compliance of a federally mandated mileage log- RV'ers are a pretty independent lot!
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
As an aside, I will love to see the compliance of a federally mandated mileage log- RV'ers are a pretty independent lot!
I respectfully, but strongly disagree. We need the Fed less in our lives not more. Most of us old geizers driving RVs are the last ones needing "big brother" looking into how we drive. If you must spend my tax dollars for me, address those idiots driving well over the speed limit and changing lanes like crazy while talking on their cell phone or texting. After getting high
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Db, you misunderstood my post! I'm not keeping any stinking log for ANYBODY, much less the Feds.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
Db, you misunderstood my post! I'm not keeping any stinking log for ANYBODY, much less the Feds.
My apologies
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Driving time will depend on the trip...This summer a bunch of us are heading to Yellowstone from Virginia to do some exploring. Now, all but one couple in the group still have to work for a living so we will need to make some tracks.

We are planning to hit the road by 6:30 am in the morning and will drive until 10:00 pm every night, stopping only for fuel and to walk the dogs. Lunch and dinners will be fixed on the "go" so that we can cover as much distance in as short of time as possible. We figure that we need to cover 750 + miles per day to get to our camp ground.

Soooo to answer the question, I don't mind driving 12 to 15 hours a day. After that I'm really starting to look for a Wally World to grab some shut eye...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #49

300 miles a day is our average, depending on road conditions, weather, traffic, city driving involved, etc. We like to begin the driving about 9AM and stop around 3PM to beat the rush into an RV park and insure we get a parking spot. If a large city is in the route I plan to avoid rush traffic, but it doesn't always work out that way. When planning a stop, I use 50MPH to figure time to the next overnight stay. It is generally quite close.
We have made some trips where we have stopped only 100 miles down the road, but the days of driving 700 miles are long-gone_along with our youth.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #50

Freightliner Owners Club
First day leave Stick and Bricks drive till tired stop at Wal Mart leave by 7am drive 400 to 600 miles or what ever to next Wal Mart,and maybe third day a RV site mostly cheap State or Senior pass Feds.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #51

We travel from Alberta to Arizona in February, 500 miles per day puts us in Vegas on day three. They are roughly 8 hr days with brief stops only to take advantage of daylight driving. From then on 4hrs per day would be the max. There is so much beautiful country and interesting things to see, we don't want to rush past it.
ARollingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #52

When the kids were little and we traveled in our Class C bunkhouse, we did our biannual 700 mile pilgrimage from So Cal to family in N Cal in 2 days. Now that we are retired, that same drive takes me 4. My preference is to leave the park around 8:30, drive no more than 150 miles with a site reserved and waiting for me. Unhook the toad, do a little exploring. That's my ideal. Having just returned to So Cal from wintering along the Gulf Shores, I learned that isn't always possible. A couple of times I had to greatly increased the daily distance in response to weather predictions. Our biggest return day was 335 miles across Central Texas avoiding 80 mph interstates, but using very nice divided roads. (And skirting the cell that produced the tornado outside of Fort Worth.) I can still do it, but, I don't if I don't have to!
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #53

My max is 600 miles/day. Our Fleetwood Providence is very comfortable but I feel I lose my edge after more than 10 hours behind the wheel. I drove long haul 18 wheelers for a couple years after I retired from the mil in '96 and 10 hours was the max when on the log book so that's what I'm used to. I prefer to do less than 600 miles but not always practical since we live out west.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #54

Thor Owners Club
No more than 200 miles per day with the odd push to 300 miles.....We look at it as a holiday not a race. That said I can understand and appreciate when you have a long distance to drive and need to get there. I guess for us its slowing the pace down and enjoying the scenery.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Timely thread as we are taking our first "road trip" in August and September looping the western states, probably 10k miles in 8 weeks, averaging less than 200 miles per day, but with some multiple days in great locations. Back and forth to FL we beeline it, covering 1250 miles in 2 days. First day we drive from 8 am to 10 pm or later. For some reason Anne is exhausted when we arrive, but I do all the driving.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #56

Sometimes we like to drive pretty hard the first several days to get away from home towards the "new" area. Then we switch to staying at least two days at each stop. I don't think we have ever found a place that wasn't fun to explore.