Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #57

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
On my last two 4 month+ trips I averaged around 160 miles per day. I travel solo, on non interstates as much as possible, and, since I'm retired, I'm in no rush to get to where ever I'm going.

vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #58
Retired Fire Service RVer's

I guess a lot depends on if you are on vacation with a short time, or retired with no timeline. I have always been on a limited timeline and would drive till I couldn't drive any longer. I noticed as the age 60 and over hit, I can't do the 500 miles plus as well. Now that I just retired, have a trip planned out for the fall, starting in Ohio to Iowa, down to Tennessee, from there to south Alabama, Up to Mississippi, then down to central Florida for the winter. Now it sounds like a lot but it is from the first part of September to sometime in November. The first leg is the longest, 420 miles, and that is just to get past Chicago. The rest of the trip, all the legs will be under 400 miles, some under 200 miles. I have to learn how to slow down and not rush. Will be off the road everyday before 4pm, sitting in campground cooking dinner and enjoying an adult beverage.

03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #59
Varies with the mood. We don't have to be anywhere at any time. What feels good is 200 or less per day. There have been short days of as little as 45 miles just to move to another scenic area. One slightly more firm rule is to arrive at an RV park ahead of the rush, somewhere around 1500hrs. This has worked for us many times. Just after we check in and have our pick of ample good sites, here comes the late crowd stacking up the rigs in line in front of the park office.

Along the way we always take a "sit awhile" break for a lunch snack. Sometimes it is beside a small town park, others it is an interstate rest stop. Once in a while we drop in at a Wal-Mart to rest, as well as grab some groceries. I stay in the bus; wife shops. I'm paranoid about getting trapped in tight parking lots, so I check out the satellite views of any intended parking/stopping area.

We do try to stay at Corps of Engineer parks where available. Arriving early is by far the best advice. You have to motor around to select a site, so it is more relaxed if you are not in a parade of other rigs stopping to look at sites. Our method has been to unhook the toad car before arriving. Wife arrives in the car about 20 minutes ahead of me, picks a spot, comes back to the gate booth to pay and wait. Then I follow to the site, back in with her hand directions and all goes pretty well. Oh yes, she takes a small orange cone to place in the site just to let others know that it is (or will be) occupied.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I have found I am less alert at 3 or so hours of actual driving so we try to schedule 150 -200 miles each day ... we are not in any hurry. I also try to stop and walk around the vehicle a few times every hour or so. DVT is not a good thing ...
I know exactly what you mean about getting up and about after sitting too long behind the wheel. I too developed DVT ( Deep Vein Thrombosis, for those who don't know) from my sedentary job. It is nothing to take lightly! By all means, walk about whenever possible.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #61
An observation that hopefully will be taken in a positive sense . . .
At 60, I know my reflexes and reaction time aren't what they used to be. And I do tend to try to err on the side of caution. Lots of big diesel pushers towing cars and car trailers zip by me in excess of Calif's posted speed limits. I often wonder if these are the same guys, many years my senior, that I see in RV parks. For many of these individuals, driving hundreds of miles per day and only stopping when they must, is dangerous for all of us on the road.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #62
We plan our trips/stops to be around 4-5 hours. We used watch the "fun" at boat ramps, when we were boaters.. . You would be surprised at what you see. So, we also like to watch the campers as they arrive. Again, surprised at what goes on/what you see.
Leave in the cool of the morning, stop before it gets too hot, have a "toddy", and watch the world go by. !!!
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #63
Watching the "goings on" at RV parks is part of the fun, eh? Parking is the best entertainment. Sometimes tempers flare, but I definitely stay clear of any of those husband/wife discussions. I must say that most RVers are very good at parking, so I watch and learn.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #64
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We usually use the 10-4 rule....leaving around 10am and stopping around 4pm. Since hubby is handicapped and I do the driving and the set/up-break/down, I set the pace. I abhor driving in traffic so I tend to leave after the am commute and stop before the pm traffic starts. I stop every 2 hours or so to walk the pups and stretch my legs and the second I feel fatigued or just plain stressed....I stop for the night. I tend to be a type A personality and love to have everything planned down to the minute, but I am learning to slow down and "smell the posies..."

Faith and Bob, Bitsy the Papillon and Bosco the Chi-weenie....RIP Truffles
2005 Revolution LE - 2008 Honda CRV Toad
Northern Massachusetts and the rest of the Country.
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #65
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Watching the "goings on" at RV parks is part of the fun, eh? Parking is the best entertainment. Sometimes tempers flare, but I definitely stay clear of any of those husband/wife discussions. I must say that most RVers are very good at parking, so I watch and learn.
not at 10:30 at night like last night where I was at. idiots, it was like watching and listening to a monkey....... a football.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
One of these days.....

For now, I have to get there to enjoy whatever I am doing as long as I can, then get home and go back to work. Maybe that's why I did Fly/Drive vacations for the previous 20 years. I am really enjoying the RV, but only one half of us is retired.

I drove 585 mi yesterday, stopped overnight in Ft Worth (8 PM), pulled out at 7 AM this morning, drove the final 210 mi, unhooked from the rig, drove in and worked 5 hours and drove another 100 mi. I'm going to bed early tonight.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #67
7 hours of driving with 2 stops for pup to do his business.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote