Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
how many ice chests to bring

good morning all, we are going beach camping for 5 days over memorial weekend. There are no hookups and it should be cool and windy. our last trip out we took 3 ice chests and that was over kill. Just wondering how many ice chests, if any, you all take along with you. We have a good size freezer and refrigerator in the rv, just not a lot of storage outside or inside for sodas,beers,waters and such. we are a family of five.

beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to bring some.. but then the campground where I camped started charging for electricity Even if you only used 20 amps and not all of that.. So I traded in the ice chests (Well I used 'em for other tings) and spent about a hundred bucks on a small "Dorm/Office" size fridge, Traditional compressor job, 100 watts running, at Sears (This was a few years ago) NOTE: If you have an ALDI store near you I saw a somewhat nicer one for about the same price there a few weeks ago.

Since then I've not used the ice chests for ice.

Electricity at that CD 4/00/night.. Ice, I'd usually melt 8-12 dollars worth depending on how hot the day was..

Food, Much nicer properly refrigerated.

Summray: I WON

When I traded in the tt on this Class A.. I sold the Fridge to a Pickup-camper user.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
When I have the "gang" with me (3 adults, 4 teens) I carry a large Coleman ice chest for the outside. That way I don't have wet and/or dirty people running in and out of my coach - nothing worse than beach sand in my book! I usually carry it in the towed car.
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When we take a bunch of folks to the lake we take 2 very large igloo coolers we put gallon water jugs in our freezer the week before and then in the cooler 3 days before. This cools the cooler very nice and then remove water jugs and replace with the others in freezer. Add 2 bags ice ( bread bags from home ice maker) and drinks. Keeps the drinks cold four days minimum.
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, that got me thinking that I could use one of those hitch thingys and tie down a big cooler on that. I am going to have to go look that up. I also freeze a bunch of water bottles at home and throw them on top of my food and drinks that are in the coolers. That way we have ice cold water and it keeps everything else cold. I just didnt want the ice chests in the rv as our only trip we have taken so far the DH slid three heavy ice chests across the brand new linoleum and scratch it to H**l.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
I take one larger cooler(not extra large). I also freeze milk jugs of water to cool it down before loading it and then break some up when loading it for the trip. I also have a 5 qt ice cream jug in the RVs freezer that I fill with water and use to keep replenishing the melting ice in the cooler, then refill, refreeze and reuse. I keep on top of making ice. Even if we dont need more in the freezer I put it in the cooler and make more anyway.
Bob Kulhanek 1995, 29 ft, Coachman Leprechaun, Ford E-350, EFI 460, 4.0 Onan Gen

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One. Drinks cool faster on ice.
Rich & Judy
Toad- 2015 FORD EDGE
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
well the hitch thingy is out as we are bringing our four bike carrier which will be going on the hitch, good idea on the ice cream quart, i'm just not sure how much room that will take away from my freezer stuff, and how do you get the ice out? does it just slide out and then you hammer it up?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
I went to walmart last weekend and bought a 60 q ice chest that will keep the ice there for 4 days at 90 degrees. They have them bigger than that and rated to last upto 5 days. Spend $40 and get a new one. Even though we have a good size fridge I like my beer ice cold.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doesn't it depend on the size? 3 x 100 qt chests is a lot, but 3 x six-pack coolers is not. If I didn't have a working fridge, I would probably need a couple decent-sized coolers just for beverages, i.e. beer and soda, and at least one more large one for food. Different strokes for different folks...

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote