Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 04:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wmjp: How old are you anyway? Many of us were brought up that way and it's hard not to break the habit.
I can even remember the smell of the kerosene lantern! There's too much waste in this world.
I’m 61 years old and I’m young enough to try and find some humor anywhere I can in this life. I thought I was being pretty obvious especially if you read the last couple of sentences of my post. The wording of the OP struck me as funny when interpreted literally. My apologies if I’ve offended you or anyone else. That was not my intention, ever.
Wmjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
LED bulbs come in different color and brightness. Amazon is a good place to look.

I have only replaced a few of the automotive type bulbs because most of the time they are off.

Brighter lights for work areas in my vintage MH were dated florescent fixtures. You can buy LED tubes to fit in them.

The florescent fixture over the kitchen sink was getting dim so I went Amazon shopping and found these strip lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Turns out one strip was very bright and just what I needed for cooking and washing dishes. The second light became a solution looking for a problem. The bathroom sink/closet/washer/dyer had a 6 incandescent decorative fixture that used a lot of power.

I left it place and placed the strip above it using the wall switch to turn it on.

Very bright providing more light for a tenth of the power.

Several times I have come back to the MH to find I have left them on. It occurred to me if I wanted leave the impression someone was home, these are the lights I use.

Light has lots of uses including security. You do not want to sued if a bugler trips and falls because you made his workplace unsafe.

From what I see, I will have to replace fixtures not just bulbs.
I ordered a four pack and will give it a try.
Thanks
Old 01-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #31

Some fixtures you can modify to work with LEDs. I did the one at the kitchen sink.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
From what I see, I will have to replace fixtures not just bulbs.
I ordered a four pack and will give it a try.
Thanks
I have done florescent fixtures both ways.

I did not remove any fixtures I left them in place when I added the strips. Just used the power and left the fixture in place. If the new light would cover the hole, replacement would look better.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
..... just can’t stand sitting around in the dark! The exception would be sitting outside under the stars.
I found that leaving DW's bedroom reading light on as a way of dealing with grief. Hard to explain.

We loved sitting on the boat just looking at the stars. One of the down side of LED is the number of decorative outdoor lights that people leave on when they are not there.

It is getting harder to find a place without light 'pollution'.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmjp View Post
Wow! Sounds like your childhood had it’s ups and downs. I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been to turn off the lights when you’re not in the room. Sounds like a magic trick. Also, are you telling me that you had lights in your barn? Sounds like a pretty privileged upbringing to me. As far as “what is customary for interior lights when just sitting around at night?”

Speaking for myself, I generally allow inanimate objects to do whatever they want to do at night. But they don’t listen to me most of the time anyway. At least it seems that way.
I take it a lot of people don't get your sense of humor... thanks for the laugh. [emoji1787]
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I found that leaving DW's bedroom reading light on as a way of dealing with grief. Hard to explain.

We loved sitting on the boat just looking at the stars. One of the down side of LED is the number of decorative outdoor lights that people leave on when they are not there.

It is getting harder to find a place without light 'pollution'.
X2!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #36

there's just the two of us so not many. after dinner and daily activities we have one wall sconce on plus the microwave hood light on. except on that silly national earth hour night when you're 'sposed to turn off all your lights. during that hour every light we have is on! this year it's march 28th.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #37

Spent many decades owning self contained, long term cruiser, pleasure boats. Still do. When off dock and at anchor or cruising along it's all about "boondocking" baby! We stay away from docks for weeks. Do have a fast, comfortable runabout we tow behind our cruiser [similar to a toad on the road]. It is fun to play with, go to restaurants, shop for food and visit places in general while anchored.

So... we very well know how to conserve and repower energy, reduce water use and maximise waste containment efficiency.

Long and the short of it... there is no need for having anything unnecessarily on or using too much of anything at any time.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:58 AM   #38

Since I have to pay for replacing the bulbs when they burn out, if I am not using the area then the light stays off. While LED bulbs do last longer they also cost more to replace plus they usually do not last as long as advertised with some failing in short time due to defects, etc.

If the TV is on I usually have no lights running unless I am working on an item and need lighting for that task.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Like Flowingsea sez, I wasn’t raised in a barn and I’ll turn the lights off when no one is in the room. It is not that I am cheap, I like the darkness. I’m not afraid of it, I embrace it. In my rig, night time is lights out sounds off. Only three small green LED night lights are on; one near the front exit, one in the bath, and one mid-coach only when there is company staying. I can’t understand people who leave tvs, interior lights and worse, exterior lights on 24/7. What are they afraid off? Heck, the boggie man is just a fairy tale.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
What are they afraid off?
One thing people are afraid of is being alone. That is why leave my late DW reading light on on her side of the bed. I find it converting.

It used to irritate me that she would watch TV in bed. Now I turn on the TV with a DVD then turn off her light. There are things you do want to think about in the middle of the night.

Another thing people are afraid of is unwanted guest at night. If I am boondocking next to a mountain stream or the ocean, you might find me sitting in the dark. On the other hand, if I am boondocking some place where you might expect other people to be around I want it to look like some is home.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:03 AM   #41

I have the habit of turning off lights when not needed. DW has the habit of turning all on and leaving on until I go around the house and turn them off. (same with the TV) We had 14 halogen bulbs in the master bath that produced a lot of heat. I switched to LED's when we could no longer buy the correct decorative bulbs for them. Lots cooler now.

I ten years of RV'ing we have only boon-docked once for four days. I ran the gen in the morning to charge the batteries. No LED lights in our current rig, except one very small LED night light in the bathroom. No solar Panels. Coach lights are florescent.

Don't know about born in a barn-when I was a kid there were no lights in the barn.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Anyone use solar charged camping lights outside at night?

We have one made by Coleman, as well as a few battery powered LED lights to hang under the 10 by 10 shade canopy over the picnic table.

No drain on house batteries that way when we dry camp.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, light, lights