Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

How many maxxair vents?

I'm getting ready to install MAXXAIR II vents on my 34' 5th wheel. I like the smoke colored ones because they will probably let in more light. My question is how many should I install? I have three roof vents. If the purpose of these vents is to vent the RV while keeping rain out, is it really necessary to have one on each roof vent? I don't want to cut the amount of light coming into the RV. The thing that's most important to me is venting the trailer while in storage.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you dont get much light from a 12x12 vent. not necessary to have them but they are easier to replace from sun damage than a typical roof vent.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i'd cover them all! it keeps the sun, bugs, sap, and other junk off of your vent lids and IMO, it looks very nice going down the highway, plus when going down the road on a nice day, you can open all the vents and the suction of going down the highway will really pull, in our ClassA in the bathroom it pulls the curtain a bit (not saying jet door open at 36,000 ft) but over a road trip it can really air out your inside nicely, noticed when we open all 3 of ours it sucks the dust out too from being on the farm (again, not swifter clean, but it is noticeable)
Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #4

I put them on all vents because in the mountains camping it is not uncommon for the pine cones to fall and break the vents some people put up pvc boxes covered with screen material.
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

My vote is to do all of them. I have all three added as well. Keeps rain out, keeps rig cool, no sun eating away at the lids, and if it hails the vent lids are protected
Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DO all of them. I have them on all our vents, 2 standard Maxxairs and 1 powered.
Wayne Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

Do them all it's a fairly inexpensive product.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your factory vent covers are like most, they are acceptable to the effects of UV rays and tend to develop spider cracks. I had one go after about 10 months (covered under warranty )and the other I just replaced at year #7. The 10 month one did not have a Max-Air cover, the other one did right from the start. They both have Max-Air covers now. I also wax both the Max-Air cover and the factory vent cover with UV protecting wax.

We'll leave the vents open a hair even while in storage or in the cooler seasons.

You don't know how many times I have seen vents wide open, with no MAX-AIR cover and the owners not there to close them when it starts to rain.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like all of the vents covered, but it is your RV and you can cover all or none.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
We did all 3 and it helps when in storage and the sudden afternoon rain showers that always pop up when your away.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have Fantastic Fans, removing the screening from the Maxairs allows them to run without restrictions..Just my humble opinion.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
You don't know how many times I have seen vents wide open, with no MAX-AIR cover and the owners not there to close them when it starts to rain.
Or, if you have the Fantastic Fans with rain sensors they will close themselves if it starts to rain. When the sensor dries it'll open again and close again if still raining. So it doesn't matter if someone is there or not.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
do them all. more flexibility with venting that way. and no worries about forgetting which one you left open in the rain.

btw, old avatar pic. all vents covered now.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

How many vents do you ever open for use? That's the number that you will want the covers on.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote