Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My wife and I grew up in Detroit, westside. Married and lived in Redford(2 houses) nxt was Plymouth and home is now 50 miles south of the Mighty Mac.
Today we are sitting on the Gulf of Mexico in Fl watching the fog and later the Super Bowl and then move little further west Monday.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #16

While our primary residence is in Illinois, we have another home in Coldwater. The RV is also stored there when not in use.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #17

EX Michigander living in sunny florida ! Battle Creek will always be home but seeing snow in my rear view mirrors will always be the best sight !
Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Western Wayne county for us. Heading to Florida next week as this is untenable. Spending time looking at sites in the state parks for this summer. So many great choices!
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #19

Lived in Garden City (part of which is now Westland) until 1959. Later, used to drive from Lexington to Boyne Mountain to Ski. Remember breakfast at the old Perry Davis hotel in Petoskey. Still visit sister in Canton, and will race at Waterford Hills track this summer.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothewild View Post
Live in Garden City, work in Novi. as for the show, we will see what the wife says
Just the opposite for me. Worked in Westland and live in Novi.

For you folks that got out of town this winter, lucky you. Were expected to get up to another 6" of s--- tonight. Your choice when filling in the blanks.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Neal and Deb, Trenton and Traverse City form mid May to mid Nov. then Zephyrhills, FL for rest of the time. I grew up in Y&. (Wyandotte) and my wife is from Traverse City.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
For you folks that got out of town this winter, lucky you. Were expected to get up to another 6" of s--- tonight. Your choice when filling in the blanks.
Glad we got out of town. When we left on 11/24/13 it was already showing signs of being a cold winter. It was 10.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Petoskey, MI HS graduate, Have houses near Frankenmuth, MI and on crooked lake in Conway, MI. Been in the TX rio grand valley (RGV) since Oct 26, 2013 near Harlingen, TX and will return to MI when the snow is gone. Shorts on and going to South Padre Island today to ride my Segway X2 on the beach and dunes for the day. Stay warm and enjoy the NOVI ( Train stop "Number 6" ) RV show.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I saw dump trucks filled with snow pulling out of the Suburban Showcase. Probably going to be tight parking at the RV Show this weekend. I think we're going Friday at the opening bell.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
. Stay warm and enjoy the NOVI ( Train stop "Number 6" ) RV show.
I think train stop NOVI is a myth. Here is a Novi document.

The post office was first established in 1827, when Novi was still known as West
Farmington. John Gould, the man who had made the first claim on land in Novi back in
1824, was named postmaster, running the office from his home.
The establishment of the post office in the growing community was the first phase in the
breaking away form Farmington's control. The next step came in changing the name of
the township. Herein lies the greatest controversy concerning the City of Novi: it is
definitely known that the community was once called West Farmington, and that the
name was changed in 1830 to Novi. But there the facts end. The exact origin of the
unique name remains, to this day, a mystery. There are at least nine different versions
as to what the name really means and from where it originated, but as to factual,
documented proof of the actual source - there is none to be found.
Colorful stories abound, however, and provide no end of amusement for Novi residents
to relate to newcomers. Here, for the first time, are presented all known versions of the
disputation:
Among these stories is the most popular - and, seemingly, most logical - that the sixth
township (NoVI) in the southwest portion of Oakland County was adapted by merely
writing it out as one word: "NOVI".
A similar tale of equal popularity - albeit not as logical - has the town named after Toll
Gate No. VI on Grand River (or the old Detroit-Howell) Road. Unfortunately for this
theory, though, the toll road was not built for another twenty-two years after the town
was already named.
In the meeting to discuss the choice of names in 1830, Mrs. Emery, wife of Dr. John C.
Emery, brought up the name "Novi" as a short, easily written and unusual alternative to
other suggestions' as "Republic" or "Beulah". Where she came up with the name is not
documented, and Latin-learned opponents to the name argued that its definition of
"unknown" or "forgotten" made for an undesirable name for a town. Nonetheless, the
name received the majority of votes at the meeting, and has endured throughout the
years.
To add to the confusion of the name's origin, not only was Mrs. Emery's choice
questioned, but Jack Hoffman, in Northville - The First 100 Years, argues about who
really made that suggestion in the first place:
Mrs. (Ellen) Emery was born June 28, 1825, which means she was just
five years old in 1830 and obviously not yet married to Dr. Emery, who in
1830 was just 13 years old. Both are buried in Yerkes Cemetery, having
died Dec. 20, 1884 and she on April 10, 1898. All of which clouds the
validity of this story of the naming of Novi.
However, a 1982 article from the Novi Sun-Forum claims it was an "older Dr. Emery", the
father of J.C., who attended the historic meeting. "The elder Dr. Emery was active in the
community in pioneer time," according to the article.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
It has always been my understanding that it was the 6th. stagecoach stop from Detroit. If Alex Trebek asks, that's going to be my answer.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #27

Quote:
It has always been my understanding that it was the 6th. stagecoach stop from Detroit. If Alex Trebek asks, that's going to be my answer.
Good choice. Just not sure you will win the Daily Double with that answer.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
First moved to Novi in 1960 and that was the tale then. And that's the same tale I've heard at a city council meeting. I'm good with it.

JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote