Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

How many miles shd brakes last, ballpark?

On a class C 28' driven mainly freeways, occasionally WV mts freeways but no more than a trip a year thru that? We have 61,000 mi and Ford keeps saying no problem, everything looks good...I thot on cars we replaced about 40,000 miles...thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Replacing at 40,000 would indicate [to me] heavy brake usage, either a heavy foot or a lot of stop and go traffic. For highway use, I would expect upwards of 60k and more like 80k. Diesel pushers typically get even more, but the lighter C chassis has smaller brakes and no engine or exhaust braking.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

Inspection of Rotors calipers and Pads would dictate when to change to me
Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't know, never worn a set out on a MH. Even our '88 Type B that I used as a daily commuter never wore them out in the 9 years we had it.
11 years on the present DSDP (only 40,000 miles though) and still not worn out. Big brakes and light use due to the exhaust brake makes them last a LONG time.

On our '08 Civic that my wife drives almost exclusively on the freeway Honda told us the brakes needed replacing. I asked them how long they last and they said "that's how long they last" when they saw the odometer reading of about 60,000 miles. Driven over 10,000 miles further and still don't need replacing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2002 F350 CC DRW (now sold) had almost 100,000 miles on the original pads when I replaced them. They probably had another 20 to 30K miles in them. The rotor, calipers and pads were massive when compared to a car.

Ken
Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

63,000 Miles
Just replaced all four drums and all shoes along with a RR Axle Seal. Drums had heat cracks from previous owner. Shoes were only worn about 40% but the shoes were loose on the backing due to overheating.
If they had been used correctly, I suspect they would have gone 80-90K without question.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #7

Considering the minimal wear on the brakes of our 15 year old F53 with 85,000 miles, with continuing intelligent use of brakes, we are probably good for at least another 20 years and 100,000 miles.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine have 96K and still have material on the pads.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #9

regardless, when you replace them buy OEM. I've made the mistake of buying "lifetime" pads from NAPA and one of the big national brake shops (after a napa pad failure destroyed the rotor) and they are all junk compared to the OEM stuff.

I've not tried any of the race pads for towing use like Hawk or performance friction. Generally performance pads have to get hot before they work, so the first couple of stops are long and it's tough to get used to on the street.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Wow and to think I was proud that mine are at 50k a going strong.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the reason mine have lasted for 96k is because most of my driving is highway miles. I think the other reason is I use my grade brake on my Allison 6 speed transmission.

I also coast up to red lights to let them turn green by the time I get there, if I can, and roll slowly leaving extra distance in front of me during highway traffic jams. I let a lot of people cut in front of me during highway jams.

Your driving may vary.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
Listen to your dealer. There are good people here and many have good ideas and good answers, but the authority will be your dealer.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Inspection of Rotors calipers and Pads would dictate when to change to me
Agree. Brakes are a wear item, and different drivers and usage will make replacement required at different intervals. There is no must replace by X miles number. Inspect the wear and it will tell when required.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Dmsbenton and

As others have said, brake pad replacement has way too many variables to call any specific service interval.

The is one brake service that SHOULD be performed every few years on any motorhome with hydraulic brakes. Flush and bleed with new fluid.

Most RVs spend more time sitting than driving and brake fluid absorbs moisture readily. Any H2O in in the system will boil when the brakes get hot resulting in a soft pedal AND cause corrosion in the calipers and steel lines. JUST DO IT!

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes