Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How important is a TPMS?
Must have 226 62.43%
nice to have 88 24.31%
ok to have 15 4.14%
not important to have, Use traditional tire guage 33 9.12%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #1

How many of you use a tire pressure monitoring system

Is a TPMS a must have on your rv and toad? Which one do you use?
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
Is a TPMS a must have on your rv and toad? Which one do you use?
We use the EEZTire system, and it works well. We didn't do the booster, and I can still see the pressures on our car even if my wife is following me at a safe distance. But we've got a front-engine gasser, so there's not a lot of interference to the rear. I'm not sure if that matters.

I voted "Nice to have" because, in my mind, it's not essential. But if we're towing the car and have a flat on it or lose pressure on a dual I'd like to know it quickly.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #3

EEZ here....Was at their shop here in Yuma last week....nice guys and great service
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #4

I have used the TireGuard system for 5 years now to monitor the Fifth Wheel and swivel trailer tire. I have a signal booster and recently installed a remote antenna mounted near the truck spare tire. It doesn't help with any pre-warning for blowouts (had 4 blowouts in last 2 years) but once did helped with a nail issue.
The TPMS main benefit is for the swivel tire, since even a blowout would go undetected by the driver. Another benefit is for checking the tire pressure before a trip just by turning on the TPMS vs using a tire gauge.
My opinion - TPMS is required for a swivel trailer/toad, questionable benefit considering purchase cost for just a camper if the driver checks tires at every stop during a trip.
PS - No tire issues since buying new truck and new Sailun G tires on fifth wheel last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150922_191218.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	233063  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
It is a must have and hope never to use.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

It’s right up there with a good surge protector and insurance. They are all something you hope you will never need but it’s a big chance to leave home without.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #7

I have the EEZ. Which ever system you buy make sure you can change the batteries yourself.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I use the TireMinder Smart System. I like it, you can use your smart phone or tablet for a monitoring system. I bought a cheap Iphone 4s just to use as a monitor, and I also installed the app on my Nexus 7 2013 Tablet. Both work just fine. My reasoning was that it is easier and cheaper to replace a monitor with a cheap Iphone or Android phone. Plus, as system become obsolete, a finding a replacement monitor could be become quite difficult, if not impossible. Then you would be forced to upgrade the entire system. One important note, you do have to make sure that the Iphone is using IOS 7.1 or better and the Android OS is 4.4 or better. The other part of that equation is, make sure the phone or tablet has bluetooth 4.0 or above. I learned this the hard way, I was going to use my old Iphone 4, but found out it is only bluetooth 2.2 At least those were the facts about a year ago. I would go on their web site to see if things have changed.

As others have said, not a must, but sure does beat checking pressure all the time. Will not matter on a blow out, other than it will show, but you will be a little busy if its a front tire. The one important fact is it will detect a slow leak, which will cause a tire to blow. So if you run over a nail with the front tire, you will get a indication of losing air, and be able to safely pull over to investigate.

So yes, well worth money for the peace of mind, knowing you have some control before a tire could blow due to low pressure.

As far as recommendations, they all have there advantage and disadvantages. You just need to read and decide what fits your budget and desire.

Mine was simply based off the monitor ideal, plus I was able to get a really good deal on a new (other) buy on EBAY. It was a display model, but the seller had all the major parts and box, but a few of the batteries. Everything else was in perfect condition. I have had it for about a year now, and have had no problems. I knew I would not get a warranty, but at savings over $200.00 I was willing to gamble. No regrets.

Hope this small input helps in someway. I'm not a sponsor or I'm I recommending only this product. Only giving you a brief idea of some of the advantages.

One quick note: It did come with a booster and I installed it without ever checking if it would work without. Even the instructions say to install to insure a good proper signal strength. I would think this would be a must if you are towing a toad. Speaking of toad, that was the other nice feature. You can disconnect the toad from the monitor with a push of a button, then when ready to reconnect the toad to the MH, just one click!! That made my day! Good luck in your hunt.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #9

a must have for my T/T. I bought one off eBay from China its worked fine for a year now and cost was less than a 100.00. a flat on the T/T and you don't see it right away your going to damage a lot of material.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #10

Angry

I have TST Truck System Technology. Great customer service.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EEZ system here. Very happy with it now after 4 years. Non flow through sensors and replaceable batteries. I don't use the repeater.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:35 PM   #12
dp7

EEZ here.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:06 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I consider it a must have. More so on a road, as you typically dont know of a tire problem until someone flags you down.

One of the biggies of a TPMS is that you can do your preflight tire pressure check from your easy chair (if your unit does not require a tire rolling to start reading).

TT500 here.
TST on previous coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:10 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grindstone said:

It doesn't help with any pre-warning for blowouts (had 4 blowouts in last 2 years) but once did helped with a nail issue."

Did you ever find a cause for the blowouts? Obviously not low pressure as your TireGuard would have warned you.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tire pressure