Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
How many "successfully" patch your own Windshield chips?

Ladies and Gents,
Just wondering. How many of you have purchased a "kit" and, repaired your own windshield chips? We've owned this nice '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT now for over 3 years and, have put approximately 12,000-15,000 miles on since purchase. However, in that time frame, we've had 4 good sized rock chips in the windshields. All have been "professionally" repaired. That is, I've had technicians come to our location and, do the repairs at campgrounds etc. One of them, was a small chip, very close to the black plastic lower trim molding on the passenger side.

That one, I contemplated repairing myself. I read reviews and determined what kit was rated the best. Well, the day I decided to do the repair, the chip at turned into a crack, about 13" long. I called the "Crack Doctor" (how about that for a listing in the Yellow Pages?) and, he came up and doctored the crack to the point that, if you don't know where it is, it's darn hard to see and, he guaranteed it to never keep running. So far, it hasn't and that repair was two years ago.

So, since I've not had an actual chance to repair any chip, how many of you have done so, and, if you have, was it done to your satisfaction, did the kit you purchased provide the correct tools and equipment to do such tedious, time consuming, correct job? Or, would most of you just simply call for a professional windshield repair tech and, just pay what they ask?

I know, I know, many of you just "throw" it at your insurance and let them handle it but, I'm not that way. I figure my insurance is for LARGE type things and, I can handle a $50-$75 chip repair every now and then, as opposed to getting a new side of a windshield at a cost of about $800-$1000 depending.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I haven't done one in years. I used a kit that included a syringe to pull a vacuum and it still left a noticeable void that didn't get filled. I think it has something to do with how fast you catch the repair, I drove the vehicle a lot of miles before attempting the repair. I think if the rock bruise was in line of sight I'd let a pro do it, if it's around the edge I'd attempt again myself, but not wait until dirt gets in the chip.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
I have had some success with using liquid crazy glue when I get the rock chip. I have found that it is best to do the crack as soon as possible. I always keep a tube of crazy glue in the glove box. If I wait too long it seems the crack oxidizes and the repair is not as good. When I have been quick the chips have never become a crack.

Unfortunately the chip will still be noticeable. If you are going to have the chip professionally repairs DO NOT use crazy glue as it will make the chip unrepairable. For me I just do not want the chip to turn into a crack.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Evergreen Owners Club
I have used the vacuum kits on two different windshields. The first one, you really had to know where to look to see the repair. The second one was more noticeable but did keep the crack from going any further. I think the repair depends on the chip or crack. Everything to do the repair was included in the kit.
Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
I owned a windshield repair business for many years. You would be amazed at the myriad of things folks put on windshield chips. They were convinced they had fixed it. In reality they were just lucky. Super Glue, clear nail polish, etc does not penetrate the break and gives no strength where needed.

Six dollar repair kits do include real windshield resin, although not high quality. There are a few breaks where you may get the entire damage filled and cured with those kits. Most breaks are beyond the scope of the six buck kit and backyard mechanic to make a complete repair.

When I was in the business, about 3/4 of my jobs were insurance claims. In most states, insurance companies are glad to pay in full for a repair vs. replacement. With large MH windshields, anytime you can avoid disturbing the factory seal around a windshield is a good thing.

Disclaimer .......... like many tradesman, there are those that are skilled and those that claim to be. When you have a well trained windshield tech, using good materials, you should have a repair that is much less noticeable (does not disappear) and will last as long as you own the vehicle. Large cracks can be repaired successfully (I saved many a class A windshield with 2' cracks). Unfortunately, that skill + time required + material used is beyond what most techs will do.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I bought my MH, I swear the windshield had no chips or cracks. I drove it home 2000 miles and a couple of weeks later got a garage for it. Right below the drivers line of sight,a chip. I called guardian glass and they fixed it for $75. Almost three years later and 13 thousand miles, it looks fine. In fact, I noticed the windshield molding was really dried and weathered so I had it replaced. That necessitated removing both windshields because they actually float in the seal. Glass still looks great. For $75 I would not do it myself.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
I live in Florida and Florida "Requires" your insurance company to fix and or replace if necessary ALL windshields if chipped, cracked or beyond repair ! At No Cost ! The only requirement is that you must carry comp on your vehicles.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
We have had many chips over the years repaired. Although the chip repair is still visible it hasn't cracked. Which reminds me DW has a small chip in her windshield that I have to take in for a repair. I think its $45 .... cheaper than the deductible for a windshield.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
I have used clear nail polish for many years. As all I am trying to do is to prevent a crack from developing, that trick has preformed very well.

For some reason, I have never had a pit mark in the line of sight so nail polish is fine for me, however if I ever get a line of sight pit, I'll have it professionally repaired.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

I know, I know, many of you just "throw" it at your insurance and let them handle it but, I'm not that way. I figure my insurance is for LARGE type things and, I can handle a $50-$75 chip repair every now and then, as opposed to getting a new side of a windshield at a cost of about $800-$1000 depending.
I admire your fairness towards the insurance company but let me suggest this...they will not always be so fair to you.

Even so, saving them a dime now to spend a dollar later isn't even in the insurance company's best interest. They have contracts with these companies to do it at less than you can get the service for. With the assumption that these companies do a professional job and their fix is solid, the insurance companies are better off than a backyard job that fails requiring a new window.

Just something to think about.

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote