Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #15
I'd say a lot depends on if you have full body paint or gelcoat. If you have a older coach with gelcoat you will need to have it compounded in the worst areas first then polished with a buffer, a spinning wheel buffer not a orbital one, and then waxed to make it look good. Remember the cheapest guy is just that, cheap. To find someone who has pride in what they do will cost you more but you will get a job that is worth the money. Where I live for a professional buff and wax on gelcoat will run you in the $500-600 range, sounds like a lot compared to other prices but set your coach next to one of the 2-300 dollar jobs and you will see you get what you pay for. Full body paint on the other hand is much easier to do and would run about half or a little more.

89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
How Much Should It Cost to Get MH Waxed?

Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
We were at a large rally with our TX RVing club and a company came in and offered washing/waxing/and detailing(engine/gen/battery areas) all for $175.00. There were 40 of us at the rally and 25 signed up! Our coach looked GREAT....liked it rolled off the show room floor.

Were in Texas is this guy. I am waxing mine now.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2003 Sightseer 33L
Ford F53
Johndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:52 AM   #17
Originally Posted by yankeeflyer View Post
Got a phone number for Ocala company ?
352-286-2939 His name is Derron James, and showed up with a 4 man crew.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
8 $ a foot here in michigan
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:58 AM   #19
I'm cheap and particular (Mother's California Gold) liquid wax only. $8.50 a bottle, old t-shirts and sweat shirts, x2 a year, hand polish only. Sorry to brag, but at my age, it's a miracle.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:42 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I deeply regret hiring someone to wax my 1999 Winnebago Chieftain. They were are full time RV detail company my RV tech recommended. My RV had always been stored indoors and the the paint and decals were nearly factory fresh.

Whatever buffer this team used bent down the edges of many of the decals, making the once pristine decals look very aged. If there's a repair to reattaching these tiny edges I'm unaware of it.

If I were doing the job myself I would obviously had stopped using the powered buffer around the edges the instant I saw what it was doing. They obviously had no concern and just kept on, perhaps even oblivious to the damage.

Next time I'll hire a day laborer and supervise the work personally.
Joseph and Sandy
Arizona Sunbirds

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:38 AM   #21
I am the one who started this thread and it sounded like the last post was written by myself. I too went to my RV Guy and he recommended a local shop who specialized in RV's. I had the same experience with frayed decals, as well as decals burnt through with over aggressive polishing. He promised to clean the inside of the storage bin covers and didn't as well as not cleaning the inside of the Max-Aire covers as promised.

He had the coach 6 days instead of the two he quoted and charged me the maximum amount noted in this thread. I chose to not confront him but to accept my lot. I don't believe he would have corrected what he had done properly and perhaps would have caused more damage. I regret the whole experience. I should have hired day laborers and supervised them myself.

Thanks everyone for your input.
daydream37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #22
daydream and the previous post posted what I was going to comment on and that is the use of electric buffers. Boy if you aren't careful and know what your doing you can spin the decals or gelcoat right off the RV. I do mine once a year with New Finish with a cheap orbital polisher, which I have been using with nice success since my boating days. I do touch ups on the front grill area 4 or 5 times in addition because of the work getting the damn bugs off after a trip. I also will use for touch ups a spray furniture polish ($1 a can at the Dollar Store) on the areas low enough for me to reach with out a ladder and the wheels. Nice quick shine after a wash. However, I do like the idea of hiring a day laborer to do the work and I may look into this in another month or so getting ready for another great season. Nice suggestion!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gulf coast FL area it costs us $350 on our 32 footer, mostly gel coat, and that is with a DA buffer, not a full wheel-it-till-it shines rub out. It always looks good until you compare it with the original gel coat where a small sticker came off 2 years ago.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #24
Wash and wax

John and Susan 2013 Winnebago Journey 40U-41'.
2011 Honda CRV Toad Our rescue dog Annie.Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have always did mine, and I am going to try it again this year. Its a lot easier than the first time I did it.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #26
Decals should always be done by hand, never with a machine.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Private Detaier

I have always done it myself (10 RV). But I think I'm done with that. I will do the cab area as we leave for a weekend camping trip. Had a outfit from Chula Vista (XTREME detailing). Did a great job. Even did some of the inside ,I could have for more work but my 2007 Itasca Navion 23H. Was in good shape.

The price was $345.00 took about 4 hrs.
I keep my class C in a storage yard. Boss came with the worker and after we were happy with price. He went to work.
I think they serve all of southern CA. THEY ALSO just do a wash and dry. For about $60.00 $70.00.
Beak12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #28
Had mine done by a mobile guy here north of Tampa for $9.00 per foot.
They did a great job including scrubbing the roof. 33 ft. So it was $297.00.
I will use them again

Pacakazz is offline   Reply With Quote