Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #1

How much $$$ to get started?

How much money should I expect to pay for an rv? I want to know estimations? And what other equipment will I need to start rving?
tosetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

That is a difficult question to answer. Prices vary tremendously depending on age, features and class of RV( A, B, C or TT). Same goes for what you put in it and how you plan on using it.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, no real answer to that! A Prevost will run you at a minimum $1,000,000 and up. Or you can get a very used tent trailer for a few hundred $.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
First you need to decide what kind of RV you need, Class A,B,C, gas, diesel and look on line at prices. rvt.com and many others. There is an rv for every price range. The vagueness of your question tells us that you have a great deal to learn about Rvs. Fortunately irv2.com in the best place to learn. Use the search function here to find thousands of previous posts and read, read, read!! When you have learned enough to ask specific questions...you will get many responses. A better way to ask your question is " What kind of rv can I buy with X amount of dollars. We are here to help but you need to do your part (read) first.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #5

Very hard question to answer with the information you provided. First you will have to establish your price point and the type of MH/RV you want. Only you can decide that and everything else will based around that for all the extra costs. For example will you pay cash or make a payment, that will add to your monthly costs. Some things to consider:

Insurance- depending on price/type of MH/RV could be anywhere from about $400 per year to over $2000 per year. Based on value and use.

Registration- same thing all based on value/where you live/register the MH/RV

Travel Expenses- when gas was $4 a gallon (and it will get there again) it costs approximately .50 cents per mile for gas for the average Class A MH. CG fees vary from full hook ups to boondocking. Nightly prices vary drastically depending on where/when you will be using the RV.

TOAD- do you need a vehicle to tow behind a MH. Not a necessity but very useful if you plan on staying in a central place and exploring what's out there to see. With that comes the cost of the TOAD, towing equipment ect.

Set up equipment- we bought a new MH so we basically outfitted it with all new stuff and left the old stuff with our old RV( except for a few things like tools/lanterns ect). We spent about $3000 on sheets/pillows/dinner ware/small appliances/outside tables and chairs/coleman stove/ BBQ/misc hoses/chemicals ect.

Like posted previously tell people what you are looking for and many will provide valuable info on this site.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:16 AM   #6

Between $200 and $3,000,000
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
Community Moderator

How much $$$ to get started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosetie View Post
How much money should I expect to pay for an rv? I want to know estimations? And what other equipment will I need to start rving?

That's like asking how much money to pay for a car? Or a house ?

If you just want a ballpark wild guess, I would say $100,000 for a class A
$75,000 class C, and $50,000 for a towable 5th wheel trailer.

Go to these websites and browse a while...

http://www.lazydays.com

http://www.mhsrv.com
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:40 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
tosetie,

Have you gone to a RV show yet? If not, that is a good place to start. You get to walk around the different type of RVs. They have pop-ups, TT (travel trailers), MHs (motorhomes), and a lot of the things you will need.

We do not own a MH yet but by coming here we have narrowed down our choices greatly. In a few months we knew what we want and need. A class A gas MH, a Winnebago preferably, and about 34 foot long. We will be towing a front wheel drive car so need a tow dolly.

As suggested, I have read a lot of old threads and continue to open a different one every day. What is a chassis and what is the maintenance on it, how much storage is in each type of RV and how much storage do we need. Can you have too much.

Are you older and plan living in it for 4 to 6 months of the year? Do you plan to retire soon and sell your house (S&B) and your planning to live in the RV fulltime? Do you have kids or animals that will require their own space (bunkbeds in a slideout). Do you plan to take motorcycles or ATVs with you and need a TH (toy hauler)?

This is why they are telling you they need more specifics. The experienced people here give some great advice, they will help you, but you have to narrow it down a bit.

Go to a search engine, enter used motorhomes or used travel trailers and start looking at what is available. You can narrow it down by entering (in your state) and then maybe be able to go look at something near you. Don't buy until you are ready. We almost made that mistake and it could have cost us dearly.

I have been told to dump the salesman and sit in the RV and see if it was raining and you were stuck inside if you could do it a couple days. Some good advice there.

Either way, good luck and read, read, read. It will narrow things down for you a great deal. Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #9

The easiest way to get started is if you already have a pickup and are comfortable towing is to get the appropriate size travel trailer or fifth wheel. You can start with an older cheap trailer and not feel bad if you end up not using it as much. Or if you decide you don't like rving you won't have a ton of money invested.

If you already own a proper tow vehical you could be ready to camp for as little as $4,000 with a mid sized travel trailer.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post

Yup, knowing no more than the OP posted, that should just about cover it.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:58 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suppose after reading some of the answers you think we are all nuts. The advice I would give you is: Just look at a few different campers of various types while leaving your money at home. You are only looking. When you see which type of camper you think you might want, RENT one. Now while you are at a campground, you can talk with actual owners and not sales people. If you follow this advice, you will have a much better chance at avoiding the start out problems most of us have had. Others will have different and probably better advice. Think about all of them. Good luck.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
This is the best answer to the OP's question.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #13

Lmao i should have elaborated. I'm looking to buy a class b rv. I want to live long term inside it. It'll be my house and commuter car.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #14

I'm debating new and used and not sure which would be better for me.