Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

How Much Would You Pay?

Researching a business idea, and need some input. The question is: How much would you pay for electricity only, in a parking lot close to shopping and dinning. Probably smaller towns, with a municipal parking lot with good security. You could make reservations with your smartphone, and pay with credit card. Your space is waiting for you when you get there. Maybe a dump station, and water available. The idea is to get you out of the truck stops and Walmart parking lots, and have electricity for those hot or cold nights when boondocking is not so much fun. Your feedback and ideas are very much appreciated...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #2

I'd pay between $10-20

Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
About $10, at $20 I'd keep going.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with both reply s #2 and #3
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$10 assuming that there is at least one regular campground within a 30 minute drive (I.e. Where I could get water and a fire ring, etc. even at double that price)

If you happen to be the only place within an hour, and the attraction you are near to (shopping or whatever) is tempting enough, maybe a few bucks more. But I wouldn't spend a weekend at a shopping place so the attraction would have to be pretty impressive.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would pay 10 to 15 I think they will be cost in doing this for someone to maintain the property not to include taxes insurance JMHO
Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
20-25
Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
In the biz, we like to start every answer with, "It depends...." I don't think it would be a big lure for me, so $10 would be my top end. Of course, in an emergency I'd become a little more agreeable to price inelasticity. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

$10
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
To the OP I'd like to add (since we can't edit our own posts here) THat to make this idea really simple. use/build a "Vending machine" for the electric service.
Build it out of a snack food vending machine or its parts.
Say a person pulls their RV into space # 4 They plug in and walk over to the machine and see it takes quarters and $5 & $10 bills then push button #4 and for what ever amount of money you put in you get so many kilowatt hours of electric. It would just like a parking meter.
Just think you would never get stiffed for the eletric.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
Researching a business idea, and need some input. The question is: How much would you pay for electricity only, in a parking lot close to shopping and dinning.
Just for overnight... $8 to $10. But we don't really need electricity when we're just stopped for the night at a truck stop or WM. Propane runs the furnace, the fridge and makes the hot water. The battery runs the water-pump. We also have a propane lantern that lights most of the living-room/kitchen area in our TT. Your business would also have to be near the interstate as when tired from being on the road most of the day, we don't feel like driving another 10 to 20 miles for a place to spend the night.

It would be nice if special overnight CGs existed right next to Interstate exits as do the truck stops and WMs.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
laj

agree with RanCarr. I'm fully self contained and especially the first night it's such a convenience to stop at Wally World to stock for the trip and they are easy to get to. Not sure i would ever use that type of cg.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Researching a business idea, and need some input. The question is: How much would you pay for electricity only, in a parking lot close to shopping and dinning.
1. $0.00 for electricity: We carry all we need with us;

2. $0.00 for merey close to shopping: Wally is way better than close;

3. $0.00 for dining: We are great chefs, and have all of the culinary skills and tools to easily outdo any roadside diner;

4. $10.00 any night for Wally, without electrical, water or sewer!! [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Probably smaller towns, with a municipal parking lot with good security.
1. $0.00 for smaller towns; we never stay in smaller towns;

2. $0.00 for security; Wally provides security.

Quote:
You could make reservations with your smartphone, and pay with credit card. Your space is waiting for you when you get there.
1. $0.00 for any overnight spot you have to reserve: Don't need to do that with Wally!;

2. $0.00 for having to carry Smartphone; don't have one; don't need one for Wally!

3. $0.00 for credit cards; don't need them; always carry cash!

4. $0.00 for space awaiting when you get there; Never a problem with Wally!

Quote:
Maybe a dump station, and water available.
1. $0.00 for water and dump; something we never have problem finding every week or two when needed, even if we have to dump 'n fill at a Flying J;

Quote:
The idea is to get you out of the truck stops and Walmart parking lots, and have electricity for those hot or cold nights when boondocking is not so much fun.
1. $0.00 for getting us out of those aweful truck stops and Walmart parking lots. We LOVE truck stops and Walmart parking lots!

2. $0.00 for hot nights; cold nights, when boondocking is always just as much fun! With intolerably hot nights being SO very rare, when we have to exercise the gen for a few hours; or during a sub-zero winter blizzard where we actually get a chance to exercise our furnace . . . What's the downside to that!??

We have been avid Walmarters since 1973 (K-Marters in those days); and now that we are old, we still love the Wally World parking lot lifestyle; and it has nothing whatsoever to do with $$$. We would gladly pay $$$ for a space in Wally World, over any commercial campground.

We contentiously avoid any association with ARVC campgrounds!!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #14
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
There may be a difference between what people want to pay vs what they would be willing to pay.