Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2002, 08:03 PM   #29

we had our brakes adjusted and the fellow at the shop noticed we did nto have sticker, We just forgot about it since we got the fifth in october 2000... but we do get inspected in Louisiana.

2000 F250 PSD CC 8'Bed and AirLifts hauling a 32' triple slide mostly around Cajun country till we can retire! Roaming is where the heart is! see pictures under construction
http://www.picturetrail.com/gingerd
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2002, 10:13 PM   #30

In addition to NO inspections in Washington State, I might mention that the annual registration for our 5th wheel is $3 with a $3 processing fee on top of that ...a whopping $6 total.

Rich

Our 'Alaska 2000' trip

iRV2.com Member #216
98 Nash 23-5R (Northwood) 5th wheel - 97 GMC 1-ton dually
Bremerton Elk's #1181 Travel n' Fun club
Amateur Radio: Rich- KH2JA ex-KA2RD and Zara- KA7QLV
Rich & Zara both U.S. Navy Retired
Vietnam Veterans Association
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:32 AM   #31

Our county (Fort Bend) is also under the new smog inspections for Texas. Our station who used to inspect all our vehicles has quit due to the cost of the new equipment ($40,000). We don't know where we will take the 5er to get it done, I'm sure they are going to charge us the higher price on it too. We have had our 5ers inspected yearly since 1982. Most inspection stations just walked around, look at tires, make sure it has brakes, etc and put on a sticker. Ours is in the bedroom window of the drivers side.

F550 4DR CC DUALLY W/FONTAINE BED
2001 40' Travel Supreme 5er with triple slides -Fulltime in 2004!
www.rv-thereyet.com

2001 40' Travel Supreme 5er with triple slides -Fulltime with Missy and Ming (Furbabies)
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 07:45 AM   #32

Georgia

I have a fiver now and inspections are not required. When I had my Class A I did not have to have it inspected either.

The Rolling Stones
John & Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:04 AM   #33

Va_Budman, I get ours done every year at HoleyAcres in Woodbridge. Now after May 17th, I may have to look into other options closer to home. Alot, look at as a hassle, but where else can you get the whole brake system checked for $ 11.00

James King
jking2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 03:55 AM   #34

... IF they do the full inspection. Although most folks(above)who have to deal with inspections in their state are of the impression the laws are little more than a revenue source for the state, I have to admit I see the value of having some degree of inspections for motohomes & TT's.
I travel to several Nascar races a year where we camp for several days. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff folks show up to camp in/on/with . "Rolling Roadkill" for sure. Makes you wonder how bad things could be without some type of inspection laws. But I suppose it's the annual hassle of hauling to a place to have it done that is so annoying.
Ahhh, well. Enjoy Partlow. Hope the move and transition go smoothly for you and your family.

Bud, Kate, two boys and one big 'ol grin
'02 Ford F350 PSD CC SB 4x4 SRW Lariat - Tekonsha Prodigy - Reese Dual Cam
'01 28' Sunline Solaris T-267SR Super Slide TT

'02 Ford F350 PSD CC SB 4x4 SRW Lariat
*Virginia Budman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 04:17 AM   #35

In lieu of inspections on trailers I would suggest they inspect, and stop, vehicles towing more than they should. I live near a large lake and you would never believe what people tow their boats with. Actually saw a Honda Civic towing a small cabin cruiser last weekend. I wondered how they get the boat out of the water once launched. Must have found a level launch ramp?

HitchHiker II 1993 Ford F250 Diesel Minature Snauzer = co-pilot.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:28 AM   #36

Mid Atlantic Campers
Pennsylvania requires annual inspection on trailers every year if they are over a certain GVW...I think it is 2,000 lbs. Anyway, pop-ups are usually exempt.

I always use the inspection appointment as the time I get my wheel bearings repacked. I have it done every year.

By-the-way...

Please join us at the National iRV2 Rally in Branson, MO this July. It looks like a lot of fun! Branson is awesome! Check the iRV2 Homepage for details.

RKamperRV...(Rick)...Lancaster, PA
1996 Wilderness 29S
2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed
30,000 miles and counting. This TRUCK is awesome!!!

Been to all 48 lower continental states!
--- P* Alumni ---
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 06:24 PM   #37

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
PA state inspection for my TT was $35. I also had the brakes adjusted and the bearings repacked (not included in the $35).

Rick: I think the inspection requirement based on whether it's equipped with brakes. My Coleman pop-up doesn't have brakes and I never had to have it inspected in the 16 years I've owned it.

Happy Camping!

1996 Ford HD F-250 SC SB PSD 5sp 4.10
2000 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS TT
1986 Coleman Laramie Pop-Up
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 04:09 AM   #38

Geez, Frank. Is that an annual thing in Pa.?

Old 04-29-2002, 04:56 PM   #39

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Va Budman:

I say "fortunately" because years ago, motor vehicles were required to be inspected twice a year (I don't know about RVs though as I didn't own one then). Then the state changed to an annual inspection. However, in doing this, they slapped on an emissions inspection for those that live in certain "urban" counties (the rest of the counties in the state are exempt!). I'm one of those "fortunate" ones to live in one of those counties. It literally doubled the cost of a state inspection because of the emissions test.

I had the TT inspected at a different place last year but I can't find the receipt to see what I paid for the inspection. I think it was about the same price.

Happy Camping!

1996 Ford HD F-250 SC SB PSD 5sp 4.10
2000 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS TT
1986 Coleman Laramie Pop-Up
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 05:22 PM   #40

Has anyone ever had to prove that your TT/5er was inspected?

'01 2500 RAM Diesel QC LB Auto 4.10 15K RBW
'00 ALUMASCAPE 29SKD 5er

one wierd weinie dog named Bud

one wierd weinie dog named Bud
fatears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 05:52 PM   #41

Even when pulled over towing my car trailer (lights not working--plug was loose), the cop looked right at the inspection tag (which had expired about 3 years earlier) & didn't say anything.

Johnny

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 03:31 AM   #42

Frank - At one time Virginia also had semi-annual vehicle safety inspections. Went to annual inspection for $10 a number of years ago. Towed trailers with braking systems are also required to get this safety inspection each year.. same price. The additional emissions inspection is for gas powered vehicles in the counties included in the D.C. metro area which (for the last few years) includes my county and implies that I am part of the "Northern Virginia" mindset. (This tends to make me cringe for reasons I will not go into .) The emissions inspection is every two years; costs $20 . My Ford diesel is exempt.

Fatears - In Va., the vehicle inspector gives you a receipt (to further clutter up your glove box) and affixes a sticker on your windshield next to the "County Sticker" (which proves you have paid the astronomical "personal property taxes" - another issue for another time.) For towed trailers, the sticker is placed either on a window on the left side of the rig or on the left facing side of the trailer tongue... this so the State Trooper can easily see it. The sticker on my trailer is on the tongue and I'll be darned if either of the 2 State Troopers who passed me last weekend ever gave it a glance. Oh, and the inspector hands you yet another receipt to further clutter up the inside of the TT.