Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2002, 04:40 PM   #43

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Fatears: Pennsylvania places an inspection sticker in these places as "proof":

Motor vehicles: lower left (driver's side) of the windshield.

Trailers: on the left side at the front of the unit . If there's a window in that area, it's placed there.

Motorcycles: on the rear fender (I think).

Va Budman: You can have up to three stickers in the lower left corner of your windshield in PA.

1. inspection sticker
2. emissions sticker
3. weight class sticker (if it's a weight class 2 or higher.)

Like you in VA, diesels are also exempt from emissions in PA so I only have 2 out of the 3 stickers.

Happy Camping

1996 Ford HD F-250 SC SB PSD 5sp 4.10
2000 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS TT
1986 Coleman Laramie Pop-Up
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2002, 08:23 AM   #44

don't need the state inspecting my rv, i do a better job myself. I have a vested intrest in the safety of the rv

"Today is a Gift. That's why it's called the Present."
Old 12-13-2006, 03:17 AM   #45
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CAMPFISHITUS:
"don't need the state inspecting my rv, I do a better job myself." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that, brother!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
California doesn't require an inspection...yet.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #47

Budman

I take my TT to a auto shop about 2 miles from me. They do a good inspection. Check all lights, brake actuator, tires and all brake linings. They really go over the TT as much as they can which I like. I know inspections can be a pain but if they find something wrong it keeps me safe.

1998 Dodge 3500 5.9 V-8 Magum
rayt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #48

Washington State has got'a be the best - no inspections ...registration & tab fees are VERY reasonable ($33 our 5th wheel) ...top notch roadways ...no state tax on your earnings ...beautiful state ...beautiful women ...oops! I'd better quit while I'm ahead.

P.S. I was born and raised in Bristol, VA/TN, however, for the above reasons, I would never move back to Virginia.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Virginia Budman* View Post
... IF they do the full inspection. Although most folks(above)who have to deal with inspections in their state are of the impression the laws are little more than a revenue source for the state, I have to admit I see the value of having some degree of inspections for motohomes & TT's.
I travel to several Nascar races a year where we camp for several days. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff folks show up to camp in/on/with . "Rolling Roadkill" for sure. Makes you wonder how bad things could be without some type of inspection laws. But I suppose it's the annual hassle of hauling to a place to have it done that is so annoying.
Ahhh, well. Enjoy Partlow. Hope the move and transition go smoothly for you and your family.

Bud, Kate, two boys and one big 'ol grin
'02 Ford F350 PSD CC SB 4x4 SRW Lariat - Tekonsha Prodigy - Reese Dual Cam
'01 28' Sunline Solaris T-267SR Super Slide TT
For those folks living in Northern VA (Alexandria area) that need to have their Motorhome inspected in the state of Virginia Alban Tire located in Springfield VA 7244 Boudinot Drive (22150) 703-455-9300, performs the inspection during the week only, no Saturday hours, the cost is $51.
Marleg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #50
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Mississippi recently stopped requiring the state inspections. There is still a tint law though.

I don't agree with stopping it. It was only $5 per year and it kept a lot of vehicles off the road that were dangerous!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:01 AM   #51

In Louisiana it is a joke outside the New Orleans area (they have smog inspection endorsement stamps on their inspection stickers). For the rest of the state it is blow the horn, check the turn signals and pay $10 for 1 year, or $20 for 2 years. The 2 year option is something new they started offering 3-4 years ago, the only bad thing about it is the adhesive lets the windshield stickers starts peeling up after 10-14 months (sometimes less). Technically there is also supposed to be a brake test drive which usually amounts to pulling the vehicle in from the parking lot to the inspection bay, although if the state is cracking down it might mean a loop around the block. The real hassle is the state will not allow stickers to be issued on days after it rains, in theory to do with the brake test or when the pavement is still wet, and it rains a lot in Louisiana. Personally that point has never made sense to me, if the brakes were to perform well enough to pass the test in the rain, why not issue the sticker. Most places that do cars will also do motorhomes unless they have air brakes,in which case it must be done by some places that does commercial trucks, and then the inspection is a little more involved.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #52

Here's the site where you can find who does Texas inspections. We've had ours done at a truck stop which is great for a big RV.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/VIa...tationLocator/

As a side note.... for those full-timers or wanna-bees....if you have domiciled in Texas you don't need a yearly inspection if you don't stay in the state. If driving through you have a 3-day grace period before having to get the inspection. Smog inspections are just for the big cities.

Do your registration online and there will be a place to check that you're traveling and therefore, no inspection necessary.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleg1 View Post
For those folks living in Northern VA (Alexandria area) that need to have their Motorhome inspected in the state of Virginia Alban Tire located in Springfield VA 7244 Boudinot Drive (22150) 703-455-9300, performs the inspection during the week only, no Saturday hours, the cost is $51.
$16 for a MH is all the state allows them to charge. $51 is for a large truck. I just took this from the Virginia State Police page.

The maximum inspection fees are as follows:

$51 for each inspection of any (i) tractor truck, (ii) truck that has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more, or (iii) motor vehicle that is used to transport passengers and has a seating capacity of more than 15 passengers, including the driver.

$12 for each inspection of any motorcycle.

$16 for each inspection of any other vehicle, including trailers and motor homes.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #54

[QUOTE=Rich & Zara;324375]Washington State has got'a be the best - no inspections ...registration & tab fees are VERY reasonable ($33 our 5th wheel) ...top notch roadways ...no state tax on your earnings ...beautiful state ...beautiful women ...oops! I'd better quit while I'm ahead.

Perhaps your 5th wheel does not need an inspection, but I for sure know that my 2005 Class A DP needs one every two years, as did my previous 1996 gasser.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #55

In IL no inspection is required for a travel/5th wheel trailer.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #56

In Georgia, we don't have any inspections except for emissions in the 13 counties comprising Metro Atlanta area. The emissions testing is $25 a year for those who live in those crowded counties. For the other 146 counties, we just have to pay $20 a year for a tag.