Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
How often have you camped and could not open your slides ?

I still don't own an RV yet but have been researching the RV just for the DW, two small dogs and myself. One of our requirements is to have a fold out bed (sofa) for adult guests. One of the rv's we've been looking at is the Tiffin 31SA. I really like the configuration. But I've been told (and it makes sense not actually experiencing it) that if you can't open up the slides you can't use the fold out. I suspect this is not an uncommon issue for RV's. But how often does this occur to people. (Not including stop overs like Walmart). And if it does occur what create ways do people use to handle this situation.

Keithmq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
It doesn't happen often but I try to position my rig to at least put the slide out if I have guest. If I had to guess it was only twice over a 9 year period. The one I do remember was a campground that screwed me on a reserved space which I had specifically reserved but someone liked it better than me and some how managed to pull in and set up camp. I think they new they were in the wrong spot but I got to stay free for a week because I had a paid and demanded compensation. It wasn't a big deal because the guest could just sleep on the couch. The other camper would not even make eye contact with me. He ran back in his rig when ever I cam out. And before I forget there was a tree that was blocking and preventing the slide from fully extending. Now you have the rest of the story.

cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We avoided slides intentionally. No slides here so no issues. When shopping for our last purchase though we looked at one floor plan that you could not use the main queen bed unless the slide was extended as the mattress was folded when the slide was in. Now that to me was just plain crazy.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It has happened to some. There usually is a manual method for bringing in a slide but that doesn't always work. It's a risk we ( those that have slides ) take.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:29 AM   #6
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your thread does not speak to malfunction, or at least that is how I read it. We had one occasion because of a last minute change we "camped" in a place we could not deploy the slide, or felt we should not.

A lot depends on where you choose to stay I would think. If you are selecting established resorts or campgrounds the need to keep your slides in would be nil.

If it were just myself and wife and the dog well no problem we sleep in the bed anyway. If it occurred with a guest then someone has to take "space available".
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Never has happen to me in the 12 years I have had a slide out.
And I Full Time.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #8
How often have you camped and could not open your slides ?

In 8 years of full-timing - never. We pull the slides in occasionally because of wind (we get tired of hearing the slide toppers flap); but no matter how cramped the site, there has always been a way to position our motorhome to make it possible to deploy the slides.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #9
2005 madp m4030
high voltage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
Once, when we were in a hurricane up in Maine. Thought it best not to put the slides out in the high winds.
Jim and Shirley McGehee
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna
2013 Honda Fit Toad, 2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #11

aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
We boondock alot, and never been an issue. When we park in WalMart, we park with our passenger side against the lawn or planted area and open those slides. When we can't open, it is tight but no problem, but wouldn't be able to open the hide-a-bed. We took out our original un-comfortable fold out bed and purchased a nice hide-a-bed from a company called Couch Potato in Santa Cruz, CA. Remember, you don't want to have company get too comfortable, lol.
ginaandharol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Sometimes depending where we are.

We bought a Coleman queen size air mattress. Works like a darn and way more comfortable than the old hide a bed. We ditched the hide a bed and put in Lazy Boys.

We dont tell many that we have the Coleman.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #14
We stay slide in when we Walmart or otherwise stealth. Could still open the couch but the aisle would disappear.

I suspect the real issue is what you have and how you use it. I doubt we will ever go bigger than 30 ft or so as we tend to go to parks and vacation places with driving stops at places like Walmart because we are arriving late and leaving early on our way somewhere. Folks with a bigger units who move resort to resort have a different lifestyle.

nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote