Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

How often to coat rubber roof?

We had a complete refurbish of our roof in Nov of 2010. Dry rot removed, new studs, flashing, complete paint and tape job. We live in a 38 ft. Newmar Mt. Aire. This last winter we had a couple of small leaks and I
think that attention needs to be paid to the seals around the fans and vents. The tech who did our roof work told us to give it a re-paint it once a year. Isn't that a bit extreme? Our vinyl screw cover is completely dried out and falling off. I'm going to have work done on that, but to repaint the entire roof?
I'm interested in your opinions.

Thanks!
artrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

Don't think you need to 're-do' the entire roof, but a close inspection of all entry points is a given.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What roofing did they install? Hopefully it was BriteTek, if so it should never "need" any coating, but you still have to inspect the screws and any vents, etc. Adding sealant is easy to do and the roof should be inspected and sealant added if needed at least twice a year.
I have used 303 on our BriteTek roofing a couple times over the last 10 years, not sure if it'll make any difference in the life span though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #4

My tech moved away and I can't find the receipts (they're here somewhere). I think
we had a di-cor primer/sealer and then a further coat of Sno-cote. So we should be in pretty good shape. The roofer told me to buy quality materials, and I was in shape then to spend the money. Saturday I have a good worker coming to go over everything, tighten and seal whatever needs to be done.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If the job was well done originally, I see no reason to re-coat it for several years. Just inspect and touch up the seams annually. You can tell when/if it needs re-coating - you will begin to see the underlying fabric again.

You could re-paint the seams if you think that is easier than touching up caulk.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
It looks like Rino Linings, the people who spray on the tough P/U bed liners, have got a new solution for RVers.

Rhino Eco-Coat RV Roof Repair

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #7

Art-

Looks like they need to promote that Tech to a salesman position. I can't believe he told you that, and I think the blarney stone must have been in his pocket!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #8

I mis-remembered the tech's advice. My wife corrected me; that's not what she said.
Yesterday a new tech got all over our rig, backed out every roof screw, sealed it, put it back, then installed a new vinyl screw cover over the gutter on both sides. He checked
everything. Since he's a neighbor of ours, we have a new resource, a guy who works
really hard and sees every detail. I feel good.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We put on Liquid Roof and I don't think we have to reseal it for years. I will wash it a few times a year and of course check the sealant around skylights, etc several times a year, but I don't expect to have to do that again for some time. It was quite a job for the 2 of us.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
We put on Liquid Roof and It was quite a job for the 2 of us.
Now that I can easily believe.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof