Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

How patient are you?

I’m currently dealing with an electrical issue with my Bounder (in the Fleetwood Owners forum). I am not very comfortable with electrical work so I called in a reputable gentleman who came recommended by a friend who has used him numerous times.

He came by last Tuesday, diagnosed the issue as far as he could and needed to speak to someone at Fleetwood because he was not familiar with the Power-Tek pdc-3009 panel and embedded automatic transfer switch.

It’s been a week and he has not returned. I had to call a few places to determine the transfer switch is obsolete and my options are because I “felt” it wasn’t progressing fast enough. I’m a bit obsessive when it comes to unfinished work so it’s bothering me a bit.

Should I pay for his time now and cut ties? I have a trip coming up on Thursday and he’s aware of it. Should I bring someone else in (larger mobile shop w/ RVIA certified techs) who can fix the issue quickly?

How patient are you when it comes to working with repair shops? I’m also trying to build a relationship that I can go back to for future needs but my impatience is testing me. Lol
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You say he hasn't returned, has he contacted you in any way, or you him?
If you've called and he's not returned your calls, then it could be time to move on.
If you haven't, them give him a call and ask for an update - at that point you can decide what to do.
If he's a reputable RV repair guy, he probably is booked out weeks in advance and has to take care of other customers that were on his schedule. Which doesn't give him a valid reason to ignore you, but could explain why it takes him days to do research to find answers and get back to you.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I completely lack patience. To help that character flaw, I attempt to be VERY clear when working with folks like this. I would have gotten a "when will you get back to me - no later than" answer from him before he left the first time. At this point, I would have already called and got an update from him. If he has no information/solution, I would tell him that I need to move on and dismiss him. If he actually did something helpful, I would pay him something OR if we had an agreed upon hourly rate, I would pay him for the time that he was at your rig. I would also never tell someone like that that "I have a trip starting on ...". Instead, I say that I have to have this fixed by some specific date (that gives me a buffer) - they do not need to know "why" that date is important.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #4

Yes. We both have had conversations on the phone since he visited last Tuesday. However, he has since gone dark since yesterday which is when he said he would give me an update.

I did call yesterday and left a message with the update I received from REV products which essentially maps out what I want to do next....

I am just being impatient...
I leave for a short trip this Thursday (4 days). It was designed to shake out any issues for a longer 12 day trip I have planned starting next Thursday. I just worry about working on electrical while at a campground ... though I should wrap my head around he’s a mobile shop and it doesn’t matter where he’s at. :-)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

That’s a good recommendation JFNM. I never really thought of it that way.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #6

No patience, I guess that's another reason I DIY.

Just got off the phone trying to get a Physical done. They are booking in November (what???). So, onto the next doctor's office that has reasonable schedules...
Wish I could DIY that one too.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #7

no patience here mostly when I am under the gun with an upcoming trip or real close deadline happening. I would have ditched him real fast and put that thing in the rv dealership shop and had it done in a few days vs waiting

longer term things I can wait, tight times I run ramshot over people to get'er done now and fast and I do it by all means possible
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #8

Patience? We don't need no patience gringo. You are either born with them or not. Any attempt to acquire them later in life and they will be nothing more than suppressed frustrations.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly View Post
no patience here mostly when I am under the gun with an upcoming trip or real close deadline happening. I would have ditched him real fast and put that thing in the rv dealership shop and had it done in a few days vs waiting

longer term things I can wait, tight times I run ramshot over people to get'er done now and fast and I do it by all means possible
Depends on the service department. I doubt very many would get the job done any quicker.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hteixeira View Post

He came by last Tuesday, diagnosed the issue as far as he could and needed to speak to someone at Fleetwood because he was not familiar with the Power-Tek pdc-3009 panel and embedded automatic transfer switch.

The repair guy already informed you he dosen't know your system. I believe there is your problem. Get to someone who knows your system and get it fixed right the first time. I personally never like to pay for someone's time for them to "learn".

Good Luck
Old 06-20-2018, 05:45 AM   #11

me?

My patient wears very thin when encountering a RV tech that thinks his job is akin to rocket science and tries to charge accordingly. This is why I have done all my own work from early on, cause it`s not rocket science.

Honey I think we have a bubble on the the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinese 'Triangle' on CAT 740 (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	207800  
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Depends on the service department. I doubt very many would get the job done any quicker.

And as long as we as the consumer are willing to tolerate this nothing will change. I am spending my money to fix my vehicle and if someone cannot fix it in a reasonable time and cost I will move on. When we tell these dealers and shysters we will no longer play at their game things will change. Not before! When their service departments are empty or doing only warranty work then maybe they will reconsider.

And that is why I do my own service work. Dealer told me it would take a week to get an oil change on my motorhome. I bought the materials and did it myself for less than half the price and all in one day.
david.howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
luckily ours would happy to have them actually! sorry for those who don't
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

It's Wednesday, so it ain't gonna get fixed for your Thursday trip.

Replacing an auto-transfer switch is easy and doesn't take any extra skills or advice if the guy has ever seen one before. Yes, even a built-in one like the PDC.

At this point, you either wait him out (after your trip) or call a mobile guy and start over. The new guy will still have to diagnose, then order part, and come back to install when it arrives. An RV dealer shop will be much worse, in both time & money.

If the problem is that shore power doesn't engage, swap te power leads so that shore replaces the genset side. That gets you through the trip, though probably without a genset to use.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote