Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you have EXPERIENCE with tires and age and tread?
I drive them 'til the tread is less than 1/8", no age 4 3.13%
I drive them until 6-8 years old, then replace them all 78 60.94%
I drive them until tread wear is showing, then R&R 2 1.56%
I drive them until I see age signs, like checking 29 22.66%
I drive them until one blows out, then I look REAL hard 2 1.56%
I drive them and replace the steering ones sooner. 5 3.91%
I replace the steering tires earlier than the back four 8 6.25%
I don't keep it long enough to worry about or care... 0 0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #15

Since our MH is primarily an alternative to taking a car to visit people, it is fairly empty (lighter side of GVWR). Max rated pressure for the 22.5" tires is 120.

Is running 100psi a decent pressure? More? Less? What are the tradeoffs?

My guess is that running less pressure in summertime allows psi increases due to heat. Am I getting a sloppier ride by doing that?

Do you up psi during cold weather?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Run the tire pressures within the guidelines set by the manufacturer. Those pressures are set based on the weight each tire carries. That's why 4 corner weighing is recommended. Keeping the pressures at the pressure rated on the side is based on that tire carrying the max weight it was designed to carry and may not be the weight you are putting on the tire.

I learned this years ago at a tire clinic put on by a tire manufacturer. They said that tires used on vehicles that set for extended periods of time need to be driven periodically. When tires set chemicals in the tire compound tend to settle. Driving them heats the tire and the chemicals in the tire compound which allows the chemicals to flow and stay mixed.

This flowing and mixing happens at the molecular level and obviously is not something that one can see but it sounded reasonable. I don't know why somebody would make up a story like that and tell educators if there were not some truth to it.

TeJay

Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
If you take as much of the risk out of a blowout, such as paying attention to the condition of your tires daily, using a TPMS, covering your tires when parked and replacing the tires at 7 years max, you will have reduced the likelihood of a blowout significantly.

The other potential causes, such as debris on the road, unforeseen tire defect, etc, well those are the risks of driving we all face. I know that I have done as much as possible to minimize the risk of a blowout.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Run the tire pressures within the guidelines set by the manufacturer. Those pressures are set based on the weight each tire carries.

TeJay

The sidewall says Max pressure of 120psi, but I've always run less pressure, thinking that as tires heat up, they'll increase psi and I don't want it to go over the max pressure.

Are you saying that I should run closer to 120 than to 100? I have no problem doing that, and would increase MPG as well. How does steering get affected as pressure increases?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
The sidewall says Max pressure of 120psi, but I've always run less pressure, thinking that as tires heat up, they'll increase psi and I don't want it to go over the max pressure.

Are you saying that I should run closer to 120 than to 100? I have no problem doing that, and would increase MPG as well. How does steering get affected as pressure increases?

What they recommended is get your coach weighed and use that info with the info from the tire manufacturers website to adjust your psi accordingly.

Ours say 120psi MAX on the tire but run 90 in front and 95 in rear. though chart for Michelin's is less than that we opted to go a little above.

Hopefully you will be doing this on all new tires that you should be purchasing.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
In my experiences, age does have an effect on the tires. I recently purchased new tires for my tow vehicle because of a blow out. The tires on the truck were bought new in 2008, and the date code on the side said 2008. I meticulously check my tire pressure, and the truck is well within its weight limits. Anyway, on my way to work, bang, the right front blew out on the highway at about 75 MPH. No damage to the truck or rim, and I was able to put on the spare and move on. I think I was very lucky that the 105 lb 37 inch tire didn't completely come apart and damage the truck.

I had been getting concerned about the small cracks I was seeing in the tire tread. Once this happened, it proved my theory. There was still well over 75% tread life left in them, and they rode just fine, the only sign was the cracks.

So from now on, it may be expensive, but as soon as I see cracks, bulges, or the wear indicator, I change them all.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
THIS iRV2.com thread is relevant to this discussion.

I would strongly urge people to review the thread above and heed the suggestions that are discussed there.

Dr4film ----- Richard
Old 07-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My first RV, an '87 Toyota Dolphin is the only one I kept long enough to have to replace the tires. I started blowing tires at the four year mark, I had all seven replaced. Only had about 10000 miles on them. Second set did not even fair that well and started blowing tires at 4 years, with about 4000 miles on them I started blowing tires again. Took them back to Firestone only to find out that the wrong size tires had been put on them from the get go. They upgraded to 8 ply rated under warranty and end of problem. Will be keeping current RV for some time. Now, I plan on replacing the front tires on the Itasca at four to five year point. Not sure on the back ones yet, but have been told to do all 4 at once and or if I do two at a time, passenger side first as it gets run through more road trash, then the drivers side.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Since our MH is primarily an alternative to taking a car to visit people, it is fairly empty (lighter side of GVWR). Max rated pressure for the 22.5" tires is 120.

Is running 100psi a decent pressure? More? Less? What are the tradeoffs?

My guess is that running less pressure in summertime allows psi increases due to heat. Am I getting a sloppier ride by doing that?

Do you up psi during cold weather?
In order of preference:
1. Weigh the coach at all four corners with full fuel, full water and as much stuff packed as on your longest trip, go to the tire manufacturer's tire load table and inflate accordingly.
2. Inflate to the pressure shown on the vehicle's tire sticker.
3. Run the max pressure shown on the sidewall.

Most people won't go to the effort of number 1, so just follow the coach manufacturer's tire sticker. That will cover you up to the maximum loading allowed by the manufacturer. I have 110 psi tires inflated to 80 psi per the sticker. And tire pressure is measured cold, tires are designed to accept the higher pressure that occurs as tires heat up on the road.

Now if you never load to the max, and you want to vary from the tire sticker, weigh the coach at your maximum loaded weight and follow the tire manufacturer's load table.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #24

I have to ask why so many references to all four corners, as to weighing?

We never see that on cars or trucks, so how could the LF and RF be different, and same for the rear?

If load is negligible, and fluids all ride the centerline, how could this be?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #25

I would ask, how relevant is the lives of your family members and others near you, should a tire fail ?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I would ask, how relevant is the lives of your family members and others near you, should a tire fail ?
Let me return the question with, "Do you always buy the most expensive fuel because you think it's better for your car?".

What something costs isn't an indicator of service life or acceptability. I have a few ex-girlfriends from many, many years ago that could prove that point.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My two cents...SAFETY FIRST. I just put new tires on the RV. I had 8 year old tires with 33000 miles. They look good....BUT were ageing out. Service tech was telling me the No. 1 work job for his body repair shop (an he is a busy RV shop) is damaged caused by tire blowouts from running old tires too long.
So IF your going to keep on RVing...take your chance with old tires or be SAFE and replace.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #28

Opinions vary and so do the 4-corner weights for most vehicles----not as much of an issue for rear tires as most rigs have duals with plenty of margin for error. The front axle is a totally different animal, eg, what side is yr slide on?; where is yr propane tank?; your refrig?....entry door and steps...etc? There could be /is likely considerable difference between the right and left tires on the front axle--just saying.,,,

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote