Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you have EXPERIENCE with tires and age and tread?
I drive them 'til the tread is less than 1/8", no age 4 3.13%
I drive them until 6-8 years old, then replace them all 78 60.94%
I drive them until tread wear is showing, then R&R 2 1.56%
I drive them until I see age signs, like checking 29 22.66%
I drive them until one blows out, then I look REAL hard 2 1.56%
I drive them and replace the steering ones sooner. 5 3.91%
I replace the steering tires earlier than the back four 8 6.25%
I don't keep it long enough to worry about or care... 0 0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #57

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkinsey View Post
So I'm buying a 2002 32' coach. Tread looks great, 28k miles on RV. That makes these tires 12 yrs. should I have this rubber inspected? Where do you go to buy RV tires?
And don't let them put rough riding third rate truck tires on it either!

Make sure you put the FACTORY RECOMMENDED LOAD RANGE tires back on the coach. I went through all this when I was investigating mine. Yes, higher load ranges mean higher weights, but your coach was designed with a certain load range tire and I would make sure to keep it like that.

Mine were Load Range F tires, the best I could find were LR G and LR H tires in non-rv replacements, so I saved dollars and bought the XRV LR-F tires, which are designed and built for RV's including the UV resistance.

When I replace the front 2 tires next year (they will be 6 years old then) I am replacing them with the XRV LR-F just like I have on the rear of the coach.

Best wishes !

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #58

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No more Michelins for me. Original XRV's only lasted 6 years due to sidewall cracking. Replaced fronts with Michelin XZE's and rears with Toyo. Now after 5years, the Michelins are showing sidewall cracking again, the Toyo's sidewalls look like new. Toyos are less expensive, and ride very well. Looks like I will be replacing the Michelins next year, due to the cracking. I will be replacing them with Toyo tires like the ones on the rear. I hope to get 9 to 10 years from them. YMMV.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #59

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hear you Diesel, I don't blame you. If the same thing happens to me, I'll be just in the same boat.

I'm hoping it doesn't.

Fingers crossed.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #60

I had GY 670s on my last coach. The fronts did get riveting, the rest were fine. My front axle was heavy, but in the link ad range of the 295s. I upgraded the fronts to Michelin 315s. Never had another problem and don't really have nothing bad to say about my experienced with 670s.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
And don't let them put rough riding third rate truck tires on it either!

Make sure you put the FACTORY RECOMMENDED LOAD RANGE tires back on the coach. I went through all this when I was investigating mine. Yes, higher load ranges mean higher weights, but your coach was designed with a certain load range tire and I would make sure to keep it like that.

Mine were Load Range F tires, the best I could find were LR G and LR H tires in non-rv replacements, so I saved dollars and bought the XRV LR-F tires, which are designed and built for RV's including the UV resistance.

When I replace the front 2 tires next year (they will be 6 years old then) I am replacing them with the XRV LR-F just like I have on the rear of the coach.

Best wishes !
I believe you should do so more research before preaching what you think is the truth. First off RV OEMs dont install the tires... chassis OEMs do. Second the tires that come on the chassis have nothing to do with what is best for the end user but more of a factor of how cheap they can be bought in bulk.
Third... UV resistance? Are you serious?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You will get a lot of neg posts concerning the G670. Part may be that the G670 is the OEM tire on many motorhomes...........

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

There is a profound nugget in Steve's comment above. The tires delivered on the Chassis to the MH manufacturer, who picks the brand??? The Chassis manufacturer or the box builder?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
The box builder will spec the chassis including GVW and axle rating. The chassis builder will install whatever they want to meet those specifications.

It is highly unlikely the box builder will specify the tire brand or rating.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The box builder will spec the chassis including GVW and axle rating. The chassis builder will install whatever they want to meet those specifications.

It is highly unlikely the box builder will specify the tire brand or rating.

With volume buys (example: Fleetwood buying Ford Chassis') they certain have the opportunity to spec tires. I would just about guarantee Heavy Truck orders, especially fleet orders, the tires are specified by the buyer. Now it could be the MH chassis' are so "vanilla" that Ford (ie; example) maintains a built pool for most popular wheel bases. Personally I would feel more comfortable with the Ford choice than The MH manufacturer.

If anyone has specific knowledge of the process please share it. When I was with IHC Truck orders had a tire spec on the order, trucks for dealer stock were the generic tire of a size.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
With volume buys (example: Fleetwood buying Ford Chassis') they certain have the opportunity to spec tires. I would just about guarantee Heavy Truck orders, especially fleet orders, the tires are specified by the buyer. Now it could be the MH chassis' are so "vanilla" that Ford (ie; example) maintains a built pool for most popular wheel bases. Personally I would feel more comfortable with the Ford choice than The MH manufacturer.

If anyone has specific knowledge of the process please share it. When I was with IHC Truck orders had a tire spec on the order, trucks for dealer stock were the generic tire of a size.
I believe you are right when you say they can spec the tires. I would hazard a guess that the accountant does the tire specing so long as it meets the load requirements.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #66

Quote:
the FACTORY RECOMMENDED LOAD RANGE tires
If you mean the chassis factory, then that may not be the best idea. If you mean the motorhome factory, then probably even less of a good idea.

If you mean the tyre factory, then I'd say you have it right.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
If you mean the chassis factory, then that may not be the best idea. If you mean the motorhome factory, then probably even less of a good idea.

If you mean the tyre factory, then I'd say you have it right.

Any tire company that builds a tire, that is sold to a particular specification (load, speed, temp etc.), is going to maintain they have the tire for the job.

We all know all tires are not created equal.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #68

Ford Super Duty Owner
All this 4 corner weighing seems nice and would work if the wife would put stuff in the same bin she got it out of! I wish I could figure that one out. Which ever one is empty at the time and whichever is closest is where it goes. By the time we get ready to leave I can't get to the ladder to wash the window. I don't do the daily thing and should and probably will now after reading these posts. I have been checking mine before every trip.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Sister and brother-in-law 10 year old tire story.

They had an extended warranty inspection completed just prior to departing on their trip. Inspector noted front tires causing a little bounce when driving on hwy. recommended changing front tires. The tires were Goodyear G670RV's. They purchased two new Michelin tires as that is the brand they could get with the FMCA discount.

Departed Florida for Ohio on Monday. Day two of their trip an inside dual blows. Fortunately no damage and only 5 miles tow to a truck service place to get replacements. Yes I did say "Replacements", they will now have a total of 6 new Michelins on the RV. Oh, it cost them a two day delay, Had to order the tires.

Did the age matter? I'm not the one to say, I just stated the facts.

P.S. The Goodyears only had 23,000 miles on them!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #70

Been in the industry and participated in several development and qualification programs for military aircraft landing gear systems including tires. Because of this got to know the other side of the tire manufacturers as well four and two wheel.

Tires begin to degrade the moment they leave the mold period end of story. That being the case to get the best life from tires air pressure is critical because when load is not distributed throughout the carcass as designed it flexes more than it should in a smaller area of the sidewall. This will cause a catastrophic failure if it is allowed to go on long enough. Really evident in older tires that have had embrittlement set in which in many cases is not readily apparent from the outside of the tire.

I will not run tires that are more than for years old nor will allow new tires that are over a year old to be installed on my vehicles. Also use nitrogen as a fill.

In short if you are running tires more than 5 years old you are fighting the odds. Uncle will not use a aircraft tire over 3 years old. Always Always look at the DOT number to determine the age of the tire. Heat cycles also play into this---mileage is exclusive when it come to judging tire life...