Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you have EXPERIENCE with tires and age and tread?
I drive them 'til the tread is less than 1/8", no age 4 3.10%
I drive them until 6-8 years old, then replace them all 78 60.47%
I drive them until tread wear is showing, then R&R 2 1.55%
I drive them until I see age signs, like checking 29 22.48%
I drive them until one blows out, then I look REAL hard 2 1.55%
I drive them and replace the steering ones sooner. 6 4.65%
I replace the steering tires earlier than the back four 8 6.20%
I don't keep it long enough to worry about or care... 0 0%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #43

Every man makes his own choice, of course. When we were looking at MHs to buy, part of the drill was tire condition and such, and it kind of got to me that GY670 and Michelins were at the top of the heap.
Given that, I bought a MH with chonologically old tires, but Hey, they were GY670s. so treat 'em right and we'll get a few more years out of them.

Fast forward to a few recent tire threads and I'm changing horses. I'm replacing the GY670 tires this week.

I've laughed at the devil a lot of times in my life, but always when on a lone mission (fast boats, planes, cars, bikes). I've never taunted the Man when others were on board.

My co-pilot has had enough thrown her way that she doesn't need more stress or surprises...so new tires are going onto the bus. It's the least I can do for her. Thanks to all of you that told...didn't ask...me to change tires pronto. I owe you for your experience and counsel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
It's great tire inflation and age questions get asked, but surprising to me why the answers get debated. Read Michelin's RV tire guide. Regardless of the brand you use this is well written.

Although expensive, tires is the one purchase I tried not to wait too long on. I change at 7-8 years regardless of appearance.
So I assume since your coach is a 1999 model, you've changed tires twice?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Every man makes his own choice, of course. When we were looking at MHs to buy, part of the drill was tire condition and such, and it kind of got to me that GY670 and Michelins were at the top of the heap.
l.
what heap? The scrap heap? I had a tire spread sheet where there were 6 different types & the michelin & goodyears weren't anywhere on my radar to purchase. Of course i have odd 22.5 sized tires but nonetheless... there are better alternatives.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
So I assume since your coach is a 1999 model, you've changed tires twice?
I didn't buy it knew, but I know the ones on it when I bought it were 8 years old and I replaced them at the nearest Michelin dealer. The RV was kept in a garage and not used much for the last year. Although the tires looked good, by the tire I arrived at the tire shop 100 miles away 2 tires developed several long cracks on the sidewalls that radiated from the rim to the tread.

If you choose to run longer than most, that is your choice.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #47

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So I'm buying a 2002 32' coach. Tread looks great, 28k miles on RV. That makes these tires 12 yrs. should I have this rubber inspected? Where do you go to buy RV tires?
Dkinsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkinsey View Post
So I'm buying a 2002 32' coach. Tread looks great, 28k miles on RV. That makes these tires 12 yrs. should I have this rubber inspected? Where do you go to buy RV tires?
The first inspection should be the DOT date on the tires, if they are 12 years or older replace them immediately, without further inspection.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Your purchase should include a set of brand new tires.

No tires no deal.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #50

DOT "born on date" is a four digit code cast into the rubber side wall--usually on the inboard wall of the tire--think installer do this to p......you off. Anyway its a four digit code like 3907--39 means it was manufactured the 39 week of the year; 07 means it was made in 2007....once you know the born on date....you can calculate age and the need for replacement ...as indicated above, comments like "looks good" and "plenty of tread left" don't mean much if the tire is over 7-8 years old.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a quick question. How many pitch food or beer (gasp!) when the best before date is past?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkinsey View Post

You will find a wide range of responses to this question. Most owners will encourage you to build the cost of new tires into the purchase, one way or another.

Michelin says that if you are still using a tire when it is 10 years old, replace it.

If the tires are 22.5 or 19.5 then a commercial truck tire dealer is your best bet. If you join FMCA, they have a national accounts deal with Michelin.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #53

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's the answer you know that you are going to get. I'll drink a beer that's OOD (out of date). I even ate a can of sardines last month that were two years OOD. Some may even say that sardines are OOD when they were fresh. Hey! they tasted OK. Had I gotten sick I would have been sick. But I didn't.

My MOM worked at a grocery store and would bring home (very cheap) T-Bone steaks that had turned brown because they looked bad. They were great!! As it turns out the exclusive high priced "21-Club" in NY City always stores their steaks until they turn brown. That tenderizes them and improves the meat.

At age 70 blowing a front tire on a MH at speed is not my idea of an adrenalin rush. To much at stake or is it steak???

TeJay
Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Again, back to the Goodyear G670RV tires which are getting panned by a few posters: if they are so bad, why are they still selling them years later? Is it possible they had one bad batch, or are the problems still there? Was it determined what the problem was, materials, design or poor QC? Is the G670 today the same tire of years ago? And is there a tire that you would recommend to a friend that has a DOCUMENTED much better safety record? Reason I ask is that I have 2 fine looking 5 year old G670 steer tires I want to rotate to the back and add 4 new ones.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Again, back to the Goodyear G670RV tires which are getting panned by a few posters: if they are so bad, why are they still selling them years later? Is it possible they had one bad batch, or are the problems still there? Was it determined what the problem was, materials, design or poor QC? Is the G670 today the same tire of years ago? And is there a tire that you would recommend to a friend that has a DOCUMENTED much better safety record? Reason I ask is that I have 2 fine looking 5 year old G670 steer tires I want to rotate to the back and add 4 new ones.

You will get a lot of neg posts concerning the G670. Part may be that the G670 is the OEM tire on many motorhomes. It seems to be a fact that particularly on coaches with heavy steer axles (over 12k) they are prone to "River wear". I think that had led to many people painting them with a broad brush and labeled as universally bad. I have a heavy steer axle and wouldn't prefer G670 up there but would use them on the drive axle.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #56

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
CJ7 I had 10 year old G670RV tires on my coach and had not a clue when I bought it they were that old. I didn't become so aware of tire issues until I joined this forum.

Finally I replaced them with Michelin XRV in 2012 and those Goodyears looked just like brand new, no checking or crazing, etc. They were/are great tires, but the 10 years old got to me. What I didn't recognize or know was that the newer tires had a lot more meat on them (obviously - duh) and sure eliminated what I didn't even know was coming from the older tires was the squirming going on down the highway. The new Michelins like any new tire are so quiet, so much easier riding, etc. but if money was not an issue, I would have had no problems putting new Goodyear GV670's back on. They are a great tire for RV's but they were about 150.00 more than the Michelins.

I also believe that the UV resistance that comes in RV tires, tires made for RV's, is very important in addition to keeping them covered, exercised, and NOT letting them sit on for long periods on concrete or asphalt without a separator like plywood or plastic or something.

That's my take on it all.