RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #29

How much of a pain is using a dolly?
Well, regardless of whether you use a dolly or a car trailer, enclosed or open, I think the biggest pain is tying down the vehicle. No fun in the rain setting up and tightening the ratchet straps on wet and dirty wheels, and if the car is loaded into an enclosed car trailer, you have very little room to work in. You also need to check those straps for tightness regularly as you drive down the road.
Also - you can't back up using a dolly.

Regarding your original question - a shorter RV is definitely more maneuverable (I have just bought a 28 ft Class A and the shorter wheelbase and shorter overhang behind the rear wheels are definitely easier than my old 34 footer), but the reason for a toad is:
1) The ability to set up at a campground (jacks down, level, slides out, hookups), THEN go exploring in the toad.
2) Toads can go almost anywhere; even a 18 ft Class B or a 22 ft Class C has a big frontal area and is tall - no parking in many places.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
A tow dolly is ok, If you have a normal physical ability. I regularly hook up by myself in less than 10 min total . Pull on , strap down and in my case stow then ramps. It takes some practice to center the car on the dolly but like anything it becomes easy. I generally don’t hook up in the rain as we chase good weather. I have a kneeling pad to hook up the wheel nets , and the American dolly has side ratchets that are not under the car . A nice advantage . You need to be able to bend over and kneel down but it takes no special strength or skills.
Would I prefer to tow 4 down sure ! But the list of towables is getting pretty small and we change cars every few years and that gets expensive outfitting cars for 4 down.

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #31

Just FYI... here is the Dinghy Tow Guide which comes out every year. You can still get previous years in case you buy used. It can be helpful so you don't have to look up every car individually.

https://webcontent.goodsam.com/motor...inghyGuide.pdf
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Tele View Post
How much of a pain is using a dolly?<snip>

<snip>.

I back up my ACME tow dolly (surge brakes) with toad all the time. It does take a little practice.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #33

You might consider getting a small car like a Chev Sonic which can be towed 4-down.

We put 2-3x the mileage on the toad Jeep than on the motorhome. We traveled the back roads A LOT. )
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Tele View Post
How much of a pain is using a dolly?

If you can't back up, what do you do if you need to?
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
If you can't back up, what do you do if you need to?
Take the car off, then Reload the car after you turn around. But the same holds true for 4 down also. Yes you can back up if all the stars align right but not more than a few feet. If it goes south it goes quick and will cause damage if you don't catch it. It doesn't take much.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #36

Quote:
it's not so much a performance thing just kinda curious what other people are doing. seems kind of silly to tow a car with a 25 foot MH.
I imagine most folks would not bother with a toad until they are in something 30ft or more.

I should have followed up with the fact I do own a 30’ Class C and tow the 2door Jeep behind it. As somebody else mentioned, there is really no good reason not to tow another vehicle. Who wants to unhook and re-hook just to go sightseeing. A few years ago I took the family to Sequoia, King’s Canyon and Yosemite in the RV. It was much more pleasant tooling around in the Jeep instead of the MH. Some places are just not RV friendly either and trying to find parking can be problematic. I only took one trip without the Jeep and it really sucked not being able to easily go do things outside the campground.
I also like to get off the hi-way and onto the dirt whenever possible. The Jeep will obviously go places the RV never would, could or should.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #37

We just downsized from 32’ class A and Jeep toad to a 19’11” class C.
Our travels have evolved to renting vrbo homes at our destination at a little bit more cost than a deluxe campground. This summer went to Yellowstone and parked in every parking lot with all the cars. No problem and we had all our stuff to hang out and enjoy the views everywhere we went. Our rig can tow the Jeep if needed but our plan is to use the micro class C as a touring buggy without toad when possible. It’s just another option, not for all but we love it!
Old 11-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #38

I sometimes 4 down tow my Wrangler JKU behind my Nissan Armada. the point being you can tow a car behind just about any motorized RV. I guess size doesn't really matter. I suppose it all depends on your objective.

However, if vehicle fuel mileage is that tight for you I think you're going to be very disappointed in the RV world where mileage figures are most often in the single digit range and daily fuel costs are usually in the triple digit range. But hey, everybody has their own reasons.

I see no reason why you can't do what you propose. Just make sure you don't do any damage to the car you're towing.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a lot more to consider than just what is the smallest MH to be able to tow a Toad. If you are going to be traveling across the entire United States, I guarantee you the smallest one you can get will not cut it for very long. You will be trading up to something bigger by the time you get to the West Coast!
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #40

Quote:
How much of a pain is using the dolly? I will be doing it alone.
It is enough of a pain that I do not want to do it every day but I am over 70. I was heading south for the winter down the Pacific coast a beautiful drive no matter how many times you do it but I was not exploring old stomping grounds.

All down the Oregon coast I managed overnights and stops where I could pill through. At a county campground in northern California, I had to unhook to get turned around. So I stayed two days and made some unplanned side trips.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #41

I'm getting discouraged with my RV plan. I may have to rethink the whole idea.
thanks for all the replies.
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #42

Quote:
I'm getting discouraged with my RV plan. I may have to rethink the whole idea.
thanks for all the replies.
Think I've read most of your Post's - What is YOUR Mission? From what you have implied/said see the country and Possibly find a NEW Place to LIVE.?

What I have not seen is a Budget - that just might be the Biggest factor.

You have mentioned Fishing - While I don't fish - Have, but it's just not for me - I have many friends who do - if getting to those Great Hidden Spots is the Goal then a Volt is not the Vehicle you want as a Toad - Will not get you where you want/need to be, at least if this is to be a Real Adventure

Back to the main point Budget and Mission - without these to you just keep Spitting into the wind - sometimes it works but most of the time your get a Bad Result - -

What do You require to be comfortable and enjoy the Adventure?

Roof
Bed
Toilet
Bath
TV
Relaxing Chair
Kitchen
Desk
Heat
A/C
Electric
Wi Fi
View
Recreational Activities
Transportation

Look over the list - modify it to work for you - add - subtract - make it work for you. Then with the Budget you can figure what might work.

Look this over - The LMIC (Look Mom I'm Camping) - maybe it's a trailer and a truck???????????

And as far as Boondocking this night just be it - Look, Mom, We're Camping!

Summation - Budget and Mission are critical - Help from the Forum comes in all types - not all is correct and not all is what you expected - most people really just don't understand what this RV'ing thing is all about - So Again Mission and Budget are the First things you need to get straight then you can work to the rest.

JMHO,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad