Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
M2D

How to be a Good Guest

I have posted here before about our search for an appropriate truck/fiver pairing. I have really appreciated all of your kind advice.

Next week I will be traveling to a national event with three friends. Two of the friends have offered to let me tag along staying in their fiver for the trip out and back. I will be staying with my brother for the event itself.

The trip out and back involves my staying with them in their 27 foot fiver.
Is there any special advice you would give me about being a good guest in a trailer. I know to use the campground facilities as much as possible. I am getting my five gallon bucket with a lid to tote my shower supplies this evening. We will be chipping in for food and the other guest and I will be doing the food shopping.

I am bring my own sleeping bag and pillow.

I know these people pretty well but would not want to be imposing because there was something I did not know about life in a trailer.

Thanks,

Michele

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #2

This is a tough one, because it is a very personal question.
If I was invited to tag along I would offer to participate in any duties involving the trip as well as offering to pay for a portion of the cost like campground fees and fuel.
Taking the shoes off when entering the RV usually leaves a positive impression and thanking the host(s), maybe a small gift at the end for taking you along. It depends on how close you are.
On the opposite site there could be people asking someone to join only to have somebody to foot the bill at the end of the trip , but you would probably already know.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
M2D

Yes, I have offered to pay a share of the campground fees and such. We have in common that it is a dog event and my dog is related to their dogs. We have known each other for about seven years.

There will be extra fees at campgrounds because we will have two cars besides the truck/trailer combination.

I will remember about the shoes.

Michele
Old 05-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #4

, I feel it's the little things in life that make good memories.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You are already way ahead of the curve by being thoughtful in wanting to know anything you can do to help out & considerate of your hosts. Thank you for that. You will be an excellent guest...one many of us wish we had in our RV's.

I like the suggestion of a small host gift as a way of saying thank you after your trip. A pre-paid gas card would make an excellent token of your appriciation & one I'm sure your hosts would be happy to use.

Enjoy & have fun.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
I have posted here before about our search for an appropriate truck/fiver pairing. I have really appreciated all of your kind advice.

Next week I will be traveling to a national event with three friends. Two of the friends have offered to let me tag along staying in their fiver for the trip out and back. I will be staying with my brother for the event itself.

The trip out and back involves my staying with them in their 27 foot fiver.
Is there any special advice you would give me about being a good guest in a trailer. I know to use the campground facilities as much as possible. I am getting my five gallon bucket with a lid to tote my shower supplies this evening. We will be chipping in for food and the other guest and I will be doing the food shopping.

I am bring my own sleeping bag and pillow.

I know these people pretty well but would not want to be imposing because there was something I did not know about life in a trailer.

Thanks,

Michele
Michele
Ask often if you can help.
Ask if you can use, and/or how to work), any RV item or accessory.
BTW, common household appliances are sometimes used differently in RVs (don't assume anything).
And as they say, "do unto others......".
Mel
Old 05-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
M2D

Oh, good idea about the gas card. It is a great opportunity for me to experience campgrounds and what is involved in setting up and breaking down your site.

Their Jayco is the first trailer I have seen outside of an RV show. I really like it. It is a 2003 Jayco Eagle. It has been operations central for several dog events over the years.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Is there any special advice you would give me about being a good guest in a trailer.
Hi Michele,

I've noticed that a number of people like "manipulate" their own equipment. For example, if a couch converts to a bed, some owners may prefer to do that themselves. Of course, others just point at it and say 'help yourself'. I guess asking the first couple times and then learning from their response is the best approach.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #9

Quote:
It is a great opportunity for me to experience campgrounds and what is involved in setting up and breaking down your site.
M2D
That brings up a "no-no" that I forgot to mention:
Experience, (aka: watch), but never talk to, ask questions of, or try to help someone setting up and/or breaking down a campsite, (or when they're connecting a toad, trailer or 5er).

Most seasoned RVers have a procedure that they follow, (and they're running on auto pilot when doing so).
Any interruption can/may mess them up.

Personally, I'd rather put up with an all night drunken party in a nearby campsite than the unwanted help(?) of a "do-gooder".
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
M2D

Yes, I just read about not disturbing someone who is setting up or breaking down.

Thanks,

Michele
Old 05-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #11

One thing that gets on my wife's nerves is when guests get in and stay in the way
With the tight floor plans you need to anticipate the moves of the RV owners and stay out of the way
I like it when a guest says something like I'm only going to say this once... Please let me know what I can help with while I'm here
Old 05-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
this doesn't apply in your case, Michele, but any men who are invited along in an RV should remember the simple rule: sit down on the potty for ALL jobs - nobody wants to clean up your splashes! No matter how careful one is, when a stream of liquid hits a surface it will create splashes, and those need to be cleaned up immediately. If you make it a habit to sit instead of stand you leave the toilet area a lot cleaner!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Besides buying food, prepare a meal or take you hosts out once in a while to relieve the hosts of the cooking chores.

If they cook...you clean up.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
any men who are invited along in an RV should remember the simple rule: sit down on the potty for ALL jobs
Alan
That is one of the most important "How to be a good guest" rules! ......(not only for the guys).

Another is the "rule of three":
Only 3 things go into the toilet, (p..s..and tp)!

Mel