Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to Buff or Wax an 1993 fiberglass body

My body is dirty and needs a wash and a good buffing and waxing and some TLC to her, but I have the old fiberglass body that is starting to show "fibers" where dirt is getting caught up in. I found the worst places are where I couldn't reach last fall very well and took pictures so it really shows how the "fibers" are showing. How do I go about making this look like a nice flat smooth body again like it did 17 years ago? I know I'm in for a long haul with this, but I want this thing to look pretty again. She has treated me so good and it's time I gave back and dressed her up for a Fall out on the East Coast working hurricanes.

Can anyone point me in the direction and instructions of what to do to make her smooth again?

close up of the "fibers" showing and collecting dirt and road grime

side shot, i'm not going to do anything to the vinyls yet unless someone can help me out there... they are cracking pretty good already.

any and all help is appreciated, if you have lots of pics or easier to email anything, feel free! niemannenterprises@hotmail.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
nobody has anything to throw my way about what to use to buff/polish/wax/etc.? this don't seem right for this site....

Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #3

my 1985 was worse than yours tried many different products. ended up using meguires ultimate compound then meguires wax am happy with results wasnt hard to put on or come off
dave
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look into the 3M line of Proffessional Body cleaning products.
My 90 bounder was that way as well but the 3M line of cleaners always cleaned it up and polished it well.
Usually a boating supply and some RV suppliers carry these products.
hope this helps,

Regards,
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

I would give 303 a try. works on fiberglass and vinyl.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #6

Here is what I did on my old winnebago I sprayed bleach with a garden sprayer that I bought at home depot for $5.00, spray about half of each side scrub It really good and rinse It and then after you do that for the entire body then you give It a good wash with a good rv soap to give the body a good shine, I know that some people are going to say that I'm crazy, but that was what worked for me and I tryed a lot different products, give It a try and let me know how great It looks after, good luck, Joe.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
Here is what I did on my old winnebago I sprayed bleach with a garden sprayer that I bought at home depot for $5.00, spray about half of each side scrub It really good and rinse It and then after you do that for the entire body then you give It a good wash with a good rv soap to give the body a good shine, I know that some people are going to say that I'm crazy, but that was what worked for me and I tryed a lot different products, give It a try and let me know how great It looks after, good luck, Joe.

wouldn't that bleach mess up my vinyl's ............ well worse than they already are from age?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNiemann View Post
wouldn't that bleach mess up my vinyl's ............ well worse than they already are from age?
I did it to my 99 Winnebago adventure and let me tell you the results we're fantastic. I'm not saying put a. Pulled gallons of bleach over your couch, just spray it on scrub it really good and rinse it that's how I did it and worked like a charm and did not cause any damage. But if you want to make sure of it just give it a try on a small spot and see the result. Joe
Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Try a product called Gel-Gloss. It is a cleaner and a wax. I use the regular formula, but they sell a "heavy-duty" bottle too. They sell it at RV dealers, Camping World and boat shops. Get a bunch of terry cloth shop towels, put a 2" circle dollop on the rag and do a 18" square area. Move from area to area, using a clean section of the rag each time. After getting the grim off at each section, let it haze up / dry for 15-30 minutes and use a clean rag to buff it clean. Once your rag / rags get blackened with all the grim you will pull off, you can pop them in a 5 gallon pail and wash them out to reuse.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote