Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
How to cook cornbread in convection oven

We have had the MH for 2 1/2 years now and still can't cook decent cornbread in the convection oven!

We've tried different pans to cook it in, but nothing seems to help. The DW likes to use cast iron skillets and makes great cornbread at home, nice and brown on both sides. She can usually get it brown on one side in the convection oven, but never on both sides, and it ALWAYS ends up crumbly!

We have the Sharp Carousel oven. If any of you have any suggestions, they will be GREATLY appreciated! We are getting ready to try a year of fulltiming and really want to get this problem solved before we hit the road. Right now she wants to buy a large toaster oven to make the cornbread, but we hate to take up that much space on the kitchen counter. Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Suzy makes fantastic cajon corn bread w/shrimp but has not tried it since we moved into the motor Home. She said she will try it soon and see how it turns out - then we will get back to you.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

Joe, I hope you get this solved because a southern boy can not fulltime without cornbread. My bride makes great cornbread in cast iron at home, but has not tried in MH, with the Frigidaire convection piece of junk we have now. It takes 3 times longer than home oven just to heat something. We had a Sharp in our 2005 MH and it cooked as well as home oven.

I'm shopping to find replacement convection so we can cook in the MH which we can not do now except on stove top. Convection is suppose to cook faster than a normal oven.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We have had the MH for 2 1/2 years now and still can't cook decent cornbread in the convection oven!
We've tried different pans to cook it in, but nothing seems to help. The DW likes to use cast iron skillets and makes great cornbread at home, nice and brown on both sides. She can usually get it brown on one side in the convection oven, but never on both sides, and it ALWAYS ends up crumbly!
We have the Sharp Carousel oven. If any of you have any suggestions, they will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
MSHappyCampers
I know nothing about cooking/baking.
However, my DW says: "Tell your DW to reduce the baking time and rotate the pan halfway through the set baking time".
(What ever that means)??... She's sure your DW will understand.
Mel
'96 Safari. (GE Profile micro/convection oven).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
No convection oven here... and I don't miss it...but... wondering if she added some mayo to the recipe, about 1 tablespoon, if that would cure the crumbling part of the problem.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #6

I would suggest you use the standard cornbread recipe on the Martha White cornbread mix package, and remember that adding sugar is a sin. Put your greased skillet in the oven until it's smokin'--really hot--before adding the batter.

3/4 way through cooking, spin the skillet around. That way both sides will be browned.

I'm married to a cornbread artiist.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #7

We have the same convection oven and we get great cornbread out of ours. We use a cast iron skillet, turn the turn table off, use the low rack, preheat the oven then bake. Just like any home oven each oven will cook a little differently, so cooking time may be more or less than for the same recipe at home or even in different ovens of the same type. So, we set the cooking time long and set an alarm to check it 5 minutes before we think it's done.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everybody, for the suggestions! I'll let my DW read these!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:53 AM   #9

We're also having a cornbread problem in our Sharp Convection oven. Ours always comes out flat & dense. For some reason it won't rise. No blue piil jokes please.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
We're also having a cornbread problem in our Sharp Convection oven. Ours always comes out flat & dense. For some reason it won't rise. No blue piil jokes please.

I have seen this from:

baking powder is old
not enough fat in the batter to provide elasticity
stirring too much
Old 01-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #11

I have a question about the convection oven. Hope someone can answer. What type of cookware can you use in the convection oven? We ordered our new coach and it has a convection oven and I haven't a clue anything about it. Can you use pyrex , glass, aluminum? Regular cookie sheets. I'm clueless. HELP
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblers View Post
I have a question about the convection oven. Hope someone can answer. What type of cookware can you use in the convection oven? We ordered our new coach and it has a convection oven and I haven't a clue anything about it. Can you use pyrex , glass, aluminum? Regular cookie sheets. I'm clueless. HELP
Yes.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I have seen this from:

baking powder is old
not enough fat in the batter to provide elasticity
stirring too much
I remember DW saying "stir only enough to get the biggest lumps out". That's the only part she lets me do. She uses an aluminum pan instead of iron skillet, and cooking spray instead of grease.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #14

You can use any heat resistant cookware that will fit in the oven. Ours is great for most things it took a while to figure out how to bake cookies in it but it can be done, you have to experiment with the temperature usually lower than the recipe calls for and a shorter baking time.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote