Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #15

When baking In a convection oven, it's really important to use the racks and ensure that the hot air gets around all sides of the baking pan. Including the bottom. Convection baking will use temps lower than a conventional oven, usually 25 degrees lower, but like any oven each will vary. And lastly, never put any kind of bread in an oven not preheated to the baking temperature, it will not bake properly.

We bake all kinds of bread, and hamburger buns etc. in our convection oven with excellent results.

Mrs. Chilerick

ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I remember DW saying "stir only enough to get the biggest lumps out". That's the only part she lets me do. She uses an aluminum pan instead of iron skillet, and cooking spray instead of grease.

We're obviously doing something wrong. because that's exactly how we do it right down to the cooking spray & aluminum pan. Still won't rise...just a flat brick!!!

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can test your baking powder by putting a teaspoon of it into a cup of hot water. If it foams and bubbles, it is OK to use. If not, it is trash. Baking powder absorbs moisture from the air, and the moisture degrades it until it becomes useless. It will last for years in a factory-sealed airtight container, but only 3-6 months after it is opened.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Keep the info coming! We're absorbing all of this!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #19

Yes we are reading too. Really struggling with everything we try to cook??

Russell
Old 01-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #20

If you have a Sharp convection/microwave, it has a special "Low Bake" routine. It uses convection combined with 10% microwave. The temperature is standard at 300 degrees, but can be modified to suit.

The instructions say that preheating is unnecessary. That made me concerned so I didn't use the "Low Bake" feature for a long time.

I finally tried it with a loaf using bread flour, doing just what the instructions said (300 degrees, no preheat). It turned out perfect with nice browning all over, and the loaf rose much more than the standard way of baking without breaking the top of the loaf. The loaf cooked to 202 degrees in twenty minutes.

This loaf was far better than loafs baked the conventional, preheat, higher temp, longer baking time way. For some reason, it also seemed to stay fresh longer.

I suspect this routine will do very well with cornbread. I'll try that soon.

If you use the low rack and rotating turntable in the Sharp, I don't think it makes any difference what the baking pan is constructed of. The circulating air keeps the entire container at a uniform temperature.

If you're baking using the generator for power, the reduced baking time may be of interest.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
If you have a Sharp convection/microwave, it has a special "Low Bake" routine. It uses convection combined with 10% microwave. The temperature is standard at 300 degrees, but can be modified to suit.

The instructions say that preheating is unnecessary. That made me concerned so I didn't use the "Low Bake" feature for a long time.

I finally tried it with a loaf using bread flour, doing just what the instructions said (300 degrees, no preheat). It turned out perfect with nice browning all over, and the loaf rose much more than the standard way of baking without breaking the top of the loaf. The loaf cooked to 202 degrees in twenty minutes.

This loaf was far better than loafs baked the conventional, preheat, higher temp, longer baking time way. For some reason, it also seemed to stay fresh longer.

I suspect this routine will do very well with cornbread. I'll try that soon.

If you use the low rack and rotating turntable in the Sharp, I don't think it makes any difference what the baking pan is constructed of. The circulating air keeps the entire container at a uniform temperature.

If you're baking using the generator for power, the reduced baking time may be of interest.

Good Luck!
Wil

I didn't think you could use metal (as in cast iron) utensils in a microwave oven? What about the "10% microwave" part?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wonder what would happen if you tried a different cooker.. perhaps a induction burner and a cast iron skillet with cover (LODGE style).

Just wondering, yet to try it.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #23

I've been using a microwave/convection for over 8 years. No problems on anything except a full size scratch pound cake
1 Always pre heat
2 start by lowering the temp by 25 deg and set the timer for the recommended recipe time. Check 5 minutes before time is up. However if using glass dont reduce additional 25 degree on top of that initial loweted temp.I have found most cake/ cornbread things bake best at regular temp. I do not use cast iron. Heavy dark air bake pans did not work well for me. I use light weight aluminum or silicon. If using the later get very high quality. If not sure fold an edge. If you see any lighter color its cheap stuff. It should be same color the whole way thru. As suggested turn off turn table if your skillet won't turn

3. Always use the short rack when baking.
4 cookies are great on 12" pizza pans. That way they turn. I get 7 on a sheet so they don't over crowd
5 I bake bread at recommended recipe temp

If you are using hi or low mix you must use microwave safe cookware. Convection doesn't use microwave so any metal is fine.

The slowcook feature is great for stews etc

Read the book and experiment.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think different people have different expectations of cornbread....some like dense, some fluffy, some sweet, some not sweet...etc. There is only ONE way to make cornbread!

1. Bake only in a cast iron skillet. This gives it the required 'crust".
2. Pre-heat said skillet with about a tablespoon of oil/lard/grease. Your batter should sizzle when you pour it in the skillet.
3. NO SUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cornbread is YELLOW corn meal, eggs, milk (buttermilk if you have it), baking powder, salt (add some creamed corn for fun). There will be a recipe on your cornmeal bag.
4. Bake in a pre-heated 400* oven. Makes no difference if convection or not...I use both a Sharp Conv/Micro and a regular oven. When it's golden on top, it is done.
5. Slather with butter and enjoy!

This is how my great grandmother, grandmother, and mother made cornbread. They were all from the deep south.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
+1 works every time!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToolmaker View Post
Yes.

Yes I'm clueless? LOL Thanks You're right
Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #27

This post really has me yearning for CORNBREAD
Old 01-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #28

I know this will make cornbread officianados shudder, but the problem we always have is with the Jiffy Corn Bread mix. It just will not rise.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote